Bob's Briefs! Have a Peek.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob's Briefs! Have a Peek.

Since it is far to late to start a build thread, and yet there are still quite a few additions and details to be worked out. Some big, Some small. So instead of cluttering the forum with random posts, it might be better to consolidate them into one. Not a tradition build thread but short brief posts chronicling the progress. A chance for you to have a peek into Bob's Briefs, if you will.

Re: Bob's Briefs! Have a Peek.

First one. Finally did a set of trim for my own car. Its silver carbon fiber (aluminumized) in matte.

Comment

Fancy - let's see it zoomed out with more trim visible
      sigpic
      Instagram: @ed_kisov

BMW 435i xDrive ///M Performance
      ex MK6 Golf R RB
      ex MK6 GTI CSG
      ex MK4 Jetta 1.8T
      ex MK3 Jetta CL

Comment

Damnit! Forgot to check the trim out at Close To Home... next time :P
        Jason

"You dont buy a Volkswagen once, you buy it ten times."
        ---Samuel Moore

Instagram: @Wangtastic
        PM me to get your car detailed! - Brightside Detailing

Comment

I will get some better pictures of the interior once it is all cleaned up. Put in bright new carbon fiber and the rest of the interior looks dirty.

Comment

Another peek. I have done leather redyeing and refinishing on several projects from leather chairs to car interiors but have always found it hard to match the Matte look of new Audi and VWs. I have purchased from Leatherigue and the Leather Clinic, and others with mixed results. The LC kit came with a gloss and a matte finish but you had to mix and to match so no two batches came out the same. Most of the other products are just way to glossy.

I am redoing some interior pieces so I decided to give Tandy Leather a try. They are local and have great prices and once I explained to the very knowledgeable sales staff what i was trying to match, Babs let me try a few of their products right there in the store on a spare steering wheel. End result is their Eco-Flo Professional Matte Finish is a perfect match to the finish on the fine grain Audi/vw leather. I also used their some of their Eco-Flo dye which performed exactly the same as the much more expensive stuff from England.

The process is fairly simple and easy for any DIYer. Just clean and strip the finger grease and finish off with alcohol. I used Meth since I have a lot around and it is a fraction the cost of isopropyl . Sand down to smooth the finish with 400, 800, 1500. Dye and let dry and finish with the matte. I did two coats of each with 24hrs between the dye and the finish. I sprayed both the dye and the finish with a small air brush, could have used a sponge but spraying is always better. I have some other pieces to do so I will document the process and post a DIY.

I did a wheel, shift knob, shift boot and emergency brake handle and all are back to the same smooth matte texture as they came from the factory with. They look and feel fantastic. That is for now or until my next travel donair or bucket of road chicken.

http://www.tandyleather.com/en-usd/p...l-2806-01.aspx
            Last edited by bobkatkat; 05-11-2015, 03:03 PM.

Comment

http://www.tandyleather.com/en-usd/p...01.aspx You have an extra http:// at the end of the link.
              Alex Dewar
              2013 T-Red GLI

sigpic@BuckyVW

Old
              03 Golf CL
              2.Slow

Comment

Originally posted by Bucky View Post
                http://www.tandyleather.com/en-usd/p...01.aspx You have an extra http:// at the end of the link.
                Thanks Bucky.

Comment

Subscribed!

Tandy does have some nice products, IIRC they specialize in saddle leather so no surprise that they have a top notch product.

Looking forward to some pics/the DIY.
                  Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                  Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                  Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Love this car! Subscribed
                    --
                    Rod
                    Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
                    2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

All this car needs is a built 3L and a sweet triple disc clutch , it would be perfect!
                      I may appear to be nice, but don't be fooled, I probably don't like you

Comment

Originally posted by Mantis View Post
                        All this car needs is a built 3L and a sweet triple disc clutch , it would be perfect!
                        True story Bob.
                        --
                        Rod
                        Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
                        2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Originally posted by Mantis View Post
                          Originally posted by Ur0Drivr View Post
                          True story Bob.
                          I approve of this peer pressure.

DO IT
                          Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                          Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                          Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Just a few little things that are of general car modification theme. Just did some cleanup of some small issues on the track car but applies to most.

1. Braided stainless steel waste-gate lines! Having braided lines made up at a place like Greenline is supper cheap , worry free no more banjo or clamps anywhere.

2. Ls2truck Coil over plug (really coil near plug). Same car but was looking for an alternative to the coil pack wasted spark setup. Not sure if others have thought of this for 4, 5 cylinder or VR6 VAGs but these packs are supper cheap, available everywhere, Super powerful, built in igniters and by the calculations will support 16,000 rpm at 75% duty cycle.

3. While cleaning up the waste-gate lines that see heat I cleaned up all the other vacuum lines in to one manifold along with all the crankcase vent lines into one location. I was able to eliminate all but one Check valve (for heater controls). Took advantage of redoing the CCV system to put some maps sensors in different locations and logged them through the megasquirt to see what is actually happening in the breather system at all inlets and outlets. As we had modeled the OEM system was built for emissions at idle and has nothing to do with a proper breathing system especially under extra boost. Get rid of those PCV valves and PRVs and check valves. Also while at it I hooked the coolant manifold for the air oil/separator to the heater lines rather than an always hot coolant source so now it only gets the extra heat when the temperature is actually cold.

Last edited by bobkatkat; 06-27-2015, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Looks really clean Bob...well done...I gotta see this monster in person some time!!!
                              Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                              Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Working...
                              X