• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e30mclow
    replied
    Re: e30mclow's latest e30

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
    I really do like how those pontiac wheels look, any rubbing in the front though?
    Zero. I took my time in deciding what 5 stud route to go with.
    My setup widens the front track width 15mm each side. I'm using REAR Pontiac wheels in front as they were actually a reverse stagger from factory. My front et is 16mm, so that with the wider track keeps everything perfect.

I stll have room for an extra lock kit which I'll fit over the winter.
    This is under compression and I still have more camber adjustment. Hopefully this thing handles awesome.

Last edited by e30mclow; 09-03-2019, 02:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• witchcraftz
    replied

Truly an epic build! A few minor issues left but you have a Supra 325i!

I really do like how those pontiac wheels look, any rubbing in the front though?

Leave a comment:

• e30mclow
    replied

New Driveshaft

Then I moved to the clutch, which ate a solid week of my time. I couldn't for the life of me get the clutch to bleed. After changing EVERYTHING, it ultimately came down to a casting error on the small plastic elbow going to the BMW master cylinder.

Sans hole

Then, it turned out I had the clutch disc in backwards. Beautiful. There is a first for everything.

Incorrect

Correct

With that flipped, it moved out the door for a wash exactly 1 year to the day since I last drove it under BMW power.

But of course, you win some you lose some. My rear feed brake hard line must have corroded at one of the plastic clips, as it drip-drip-dripped the contents of the reservoir over night. Therefore, no driving vids as I wasn't in the mood for replacing/repairing the thing lol

I've started to tune the thing via the Apexi AFC, and I've not worked the car away from running so rich on the larger injectors.

Leave a comment:

• cam_wmh
    replied

rad

Leave a comment:

• e30mclow
    replied

Noises! Sounds just like a Toyota should.

I jammed an intercooler elbow into the open downpipe, then stuck every exhaust box I have in line behind it.
    This way it is quieter than the S4 and nobody will complain

That is idle with no adjustment for the larger injectors, as it is all wired straight into the ECU without the Apexi AFC.

And the interest of maintaining pointless expenditure into the latter part of the fiscal year, I've bought a very rare heckblende (new in the box).
    Why so rare? Nobody thought deleting the provision for a rear license plate was a good idea, and didn't buy them lol

Still, very $ these days.

And finally, the true unicorn poop - an Mtech 1 rear spoiler
    Last edited by e30mclow; 08-06-2019, 02:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• stefan
    replied

I have an engine support beam and light duty transmission jack if they would be helpful.

Leave a comment:

• e30mclow
    replied

I'm turning a corner and hopefully heading on the home stretch.

This weekend I wrestled the trans back in using all of my Mech Eng degree. I finally used it!
    I wouldn't give the ole iron ring to anyone that'd stamp this concoction.

It looks like it'd bring the house down, but it works. Only the trans is partially suspended from the straps, and the engine is sitting on the mounts. I was simply using the ratchet to line it up/angle it securely with the trans as I had nobody to help me.

The engine and trans are now sitting in their final position.

After that, I mounted my new 195/45s on the GTA wheels. They turned out great, and will obviously be 10 times better once I'm able to make suspension adjustments.

I've also begun cutting out the few rust spots that the car has (front scuttle panel, rear battery tray and a small bit on the driver's rear arch).
    This particular spot stemmed from the front fender rubbing slightly in one spot, causing the paint to wear and rust to accelerate.

Vomit

I have this replacement panel that I took from an old parts car. It isn't great, but I can certainly work with it!

I'm hoping to get the engine back together during the evenings this week, which may put be at T minus 2 weeks to cranking it over. eeek.
    Last edited by e30mclow; 07-30-2019, 03:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• e30mclow
    replied

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
    The amount of work you've done is incredible. What's the first drive going to be?
    Ottawa to St. Johns (Jaans)

Leave a comment:

• witchcraftz
    replied

The amount of work you've done is incredible. What's the first drive going to be?

Leave a comment:

• Canadian Turbo
    replied

I am always so excited for an update to this thread!! The level of work is truly mind blowing to me, so thanks for sharing!!!

Leave a comment:

• e30mclow
    replied

It has been a month since my last update on here.

What's changed?

Chassis
    Big brakes/5x120 hubs have been fitted. I now have a surplus of 4x100 wheels.

Complete caliper rebuild kit for the e46 325i calipers x 4

(1 old one in there for reference)

New wheel bearings x 4

Front

Rear

I bored out the hubs on the Pontiac wheels, so they're now perfect e30 fitment.
    My new 205/45s arrive this week, then I can finally see what the fitment situation is.

Using a level, I'm estimating that my fitment is going to be what they call perfecttttt.

Body
    I went full idiot and bought what may be one of a few remaining genuine Alpina front valances. It was half the price of the car lol. It should arrive in 5-6 weeks from ze fasherland

Drivetrain

I rebuilt my Garrett turbo and fitted larger 440cc injectors, the new fuel pump and a few other bits and pieces.

Fuel Pressure Regulator

I made a turbo oil return line

Which clears the manifold nicely, and was just about 10% better than the last guy's attempt

I also fitted a new high pressure line

After that I drilled a tapped the JZ water neck to accept the BMW e30 coolant temp sensor (for the cluster)

Getting there

Then it was time for the heavy lifting/risky stuff. I want my Nissan 6 speed transmission, but I also want the gear lever to pop out within the e30 as God intended.
    This meant a lot of work for arguably very little reward.

1. Pull the transmission
    2. Split it in half
    3. Cut the main selector rod in half
    4. Replace the main shift weight/guide with a chunk of aluminum
    5. Adjust 1-200 times
    6. Put it back together and hope everything lines up
    7. Repeat step 2-6 8 times
    8. Enjoy your awesome shifter that now reside within the Nissan service window

Removing the split pins and cutting the shaft

New next to old

Mocking up the base plate for the shifter

Science

After playing around with shims on the retaining springs for forward and back, the gears now feel great. I can't wait to try it out.

I'm hoping to have the new tires on there this weekend, which will keep me motivated

I'll cut the excess off the shaft this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• e30mclow
    replied

I've just recently (last week) moved into a new place with an actual garage, but there has still be some progress.

The focus has been gathering the necessary parts so that when I have the facilities, it should simply be a case of GO!

Cleaned up the cam covers

The wiring harness is all in and tucked away nicely

The AFC is spliced into the ECU via a patch harness

I moddified the radiator, to tuck it within the front panel. I also lucked out and found that a 21" baking tray makes the perfect fan shroud. I've changed from a 16" fan to a 14", so things should fit nicely now.

Just laying in there, but it'll be tucked flush with the core support

Smuggled some parts back from the US over Easter

Custom made relocation shifter, which better damn well work after how long it took and how expensive it was.

I'll need to split the transmission and cut the main selector rod in half to fit it....eeeek.

I've decided to go 5 stud, in order to utilize e46 325i front & rear brakes

This will also allow me to run these Pontiac GTA wheels. 16x8 square, et16 front et0 rear - Perfect e30 specs.
    Ignore the tires, they're obviously not going to stay

There has been a whole bunch going on that I don't have photos of, like making up the brake lines, turbo feed lines, 440cc injectors and other small things.

I pick the car up from the unit tomorrow, after which I can hopefully get it running this month.
    Then the focus will be pulling the transmission and fitting the shifter, making a driveshaft and then buttoning it all up.

Once the wheels are mocked up and tire sizes are selected, I'll start the necessary bodywork and it'll be DIY paint booth time
    Last edited by e30mclow; 06-14-2019, 05:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• e30mclow
    replied

Trying to bring the shifter back to the stock e30 position is proving difficult.
    My piece came in from Nissan (same as the one my dad got in Ireland), which I was going to modify, but upon measuring the sweep angles that'd have been produced, I figired 1-2, 2-3 and 5-6 movements would have been great, but the left to right movement would have been far too short to be reliable.

I ended up breaking down and dropping my money on an early run of these shifters

It does exactly what I want, and although it is expensive, my efforts would have likely ended up costing the same but taking far longer.

This is the only other option, which you can see is ridiculous, and almost $900CAD lol
    I'd need to remove my handbrake mechanism just to fit it!

Leave a comment:

• witchcraftz
    replied

What an awesome sleeper car!

Leave a comment:

• Canadian Turbo
    replied

Love this thread!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...