Light up VW emblem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light up VW emblem

Here are some pictures of the light up emblem I made for my Jetta. I put a some more LEDs in after taking these pictures (because I couldn't find 'em anywhere before hand).

I machined the emblem from 1/4" aluminum plate. There is a piece of Lexan in behind that I sandblasted the outer surface on to diffuse the light, and prevent any reflections. It is held in place on the mounts for the stock plastic emblem using aluminum blocks. The LEDs are mounted on a piece of aluminum sheet that are attached to the blocks. I put a piece of vehicle paint protectant film over the emblem after polishing it to a high shine, but I might take that off and laquer it or something.

I tapped power from the right side marker light, so it will only come on when the lights are on. I could put a mirco-switch in behind the grill if I want to control when it is on, but that will be a later project.

I also took some digital pics in progress. If anyone is interested I can post them later.

Total cost was about $50 for electronics and hardware. Material was free because we had some around in our shop. About 30 hours total time to fabricate, polish and wire.

Comments, praise, criticism, all is welcome. These have been up on CVD for a while, but I figured not everyone there is here.

If anyone is interested in something similar I'm willing to discuss it. Doesn't have to be a VW logo, just has to be kinda simple because I only have a lathe and milling machine which are not automated (not CNC). Laser cutting is also an option for anything complicated, but kinda expensive.

Thanks.

Jeff
    01 Jetta GLS

Jeff
    Current: 2017 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line
    Previous: 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line, 2001 VW Jetta

Re: Light up VW emblem

I think that looks awesome!

How legal is it though?

Comment

not legal at all... but just like those windshield jet lights are illegal... it's a good chance u won;t get hassled unless it's an a55hole cop.

Comment

Comparing that to those LED wiper nozzles is exactly what I thought

Not feelin it one bit, too many different colors on the front end there.
        REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
        -james

Comment

Not really my cup of tea, but mad props for being original. Looks like you put alot of time and effort into it too!
          Kyle
          2000 Audi S4

Comment

I think it would look cool on the rear as a brake light. Also would bring much less police attention that way. Very good work though, do you have any pics durring the day in the light?
            2004 Reflex Silver GTi 1.8t
            1991 passat GT wolfsburg edition (euro spec)
            1982 golf GTI (euro spec)
            Autocross: the miniature golf of road racing

Comment

No problems with the cops yet, even drove behind one for a while with it on at night. Ticket is about $60, and if they get that picky, the blue headlight bulbs would be another $60. But for that matter driving lights and fog lights that aren't a specific SAE spec are also illegal.

Originally posted by dubspeedGTi
              I think it would look cool on the rear as a brake light. Also would bring much less police attention that way. Very good work though, do you have any pics durring the day in the light?
              During the day in the light it looks almost stock. Main differences are that it is flat, stock is curved, and the lexan that is in the cutouts. I have noticed some serious reflections off the flat surface lately (now that the sun is out).

Here is a pic (on my very dirty car) with it off in the shop with the lights on.

Pic with it on, in the shop with the lights on. There are 7 LEDs now, so it is more even in the dark. It is only on when the headlight switch is on (side markers come on then).
              Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by dubspeedGTi
                I got to think about that brake light
                Chris

DR1665: "DSM: Turning average guys into master mechanics since 1989."

Comment

That loooks so Sweet, you did a really good job on it.

It looks so cool, that would rock on Nadine's Beater Jetta especially if the LEDS were in Red to go with the Red colour of the car.

Cordialtea
                  Last edited by Cordialtea; 08-08-2005, 04:39 PM.
                  Some days you step in it, some days you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Cordialtea
                    That loooks so Sweet, you did a really good job on it.

Cordialtea
                    wether or not people like it or not - the fact remains that you did a quality job!

I would be interested in making something similar for another project...

think you could give us a hand?

Comment

Originally posted by ripperman
                      wether or not people like it or not - the fact remains that you did a quality job!

I would be interested in making something similar for another project...

think you could give us a hand?
                      Thanks!

Definately interested in helping out. PM some details/pics and I can let you know.

Seems to be a number of people liking the brake light idea. I'm not real keen on taking my emblem off at this point, but if someone else is interested I could come up with something. The trick is the attachment and the wires have to go through the lock hole (I wouldn't glue it, and all the instructions I have seen have said it is glued, I don't think there are any other holes in there), and lights would probably end up being that neon string stuff (because of the thickness) which would require a transformer. To make it a brake light, a wire would have to be run into the trunk lid from one of the brakes, which could be a HUGE pain to get through the boots. Also I don't know what kind of draw the transformer requires, might be too much for one light circuit. On when the lights are on would be easier since the liscence plate lights are right there, and who really cares if the light is a bit dim (besides the cops of course).

Jeff
                      01 Jetta GLS
                      Jeff

Comment

Working...
                      X