Hypothetical Transmission Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetical Transmission Question

OK so lets say I have a classic car in the neighborhood of 400hp. Problem is, its an automatic.

What can I do? Obviously throwing in a tranny from that era of car wouldn’t be the right route to go (clunky 4 speeds ftl)..I was thinking a hurst type slap shifter would be nice, but ideally want a 5 or 6spd…how much work would that be?
    REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
    -james

Re: Hypothetical Transmission Question

i'm guessing it's classic v8 muscle. you can build a nice auto tranny with a reworked valve body, torque converter and guts, put a nice b&m slap stick shifter on it and should be nice. with overdrive, you should be able to build one with sweet off the line power and highway to boot.

for a standard trans, you could use any 5 or 6 speed(vette?), and adapt it to your motor. then it's driveline fabing and pedal fabing. lots of old muscle came with std trannys, so a pedal cluster shouldn't be a hard find. hypothetically!

hope this helps.
    you probably don't like me because someone else said they didn't lol. <3

Comment

Above post is pretty much as good an answer as you'll get... if you know the specific car/engine then you could search the internet for some common or compatible transmissions. If its a GM musclecar then I am betting you can mate up a modern 5 or 6 speed as already said, from a vette or maybe you can find something from a camaro or trans-am etc.
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by 100%VAGitarian View Post
        i'm guessing it's classic v8 muscle. you can build a nice auto tranny with a reworked valve body, torque converter and guts, put a nice b&m slap stick shifter on it and should be nice. with overdrive, you should be able to build one with sweet off the line power and highway to boot.

for a standard trans, you could use any 5 or 6 speed(vette?), and adapt it to your motor. then it's driveline fabing and pedal fabing. lots of old muscle came with std trannys, so a pedal cluster shouldn't be a hard find. hypothetically!

hope this helps.

Sure does help, and yeah its a classic V8 mustang with a 351. It currently has a completely overhauled tranny from a 91 mustang GT with ford racing bits in it, has overdrive and EFI so i guess the easiest route would be a slap shifter..Does having something like the B&M require anymore than bolting it up?
        -james

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
          Sure does help, and yeah its a classic V8 mustang with a 351. It currently has a completely overhauled tranny from a 91 mustang GT with ford racing bits in it, has overdrive and EFI so i guess the easiest route would be a slap shifter..Does having something like the B&M require anymore than bolting it up?
          Nothing wrong with an Auto in a car like that but that's just my opinion. My father-in-law used to have a 68 GTX and used to drag race it all the time around BC and Alberta, he used to eat up Manual tranny cars like crazy.

Slap shift would be cool. I don't think a slap shift is a quick bolt on though, I think there might be some internal magic that you need to do, but i'm not sure.

Check out Summit racings website for some ideas.

You could probably even order a full crate tranny from a shop in the US custom built to your spec's (money no object of course).

I'd like to have a muscle car as a 5th or 6th car someday
          Jay

Comment

From back in the days when I paid attention to Mustangs the more common swap was manual to auto; a big torque engine like that would just shred clutches and gears.

IIRC the C4 or C6 swap with a 351 was the hot ticket. They could hold almost any amount of power you threw at them and still shift with crispness and smoothness regardless of throttle level.

Comment

this is a fantastic shifter, http://www.autoanything.com/shifters/65A3044A0A0.aspx

looks bolt in, some applications say you need an install kit.

sounds like a cool ride!

Comment

Thanks dude, that thing looks like it means serious biz

Yeah the car is pretty cherry..My dad bought it about 10 years ago and has done a crazy amount of work..I dont know why he doesnt want it any more but im not complaining
                -james

Comment

Keep the auto....I think thats been reiterated here already....351 is a common block, so you should have any selection of trannies that will bolt up to it from even 80's mustangs........If you were to go manual, the '70 era fastbacks had a sweet pistol grip in them....I did drive one (it was a 426 tho) and it was terrible to shift nice....

Again, keep the auto, and get it revalved and a high stall converter....You'll like it much more, and if its agressive enough it will break the tires loose on shifts....
                  2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
                  2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
                  2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

Originally posted by Aleks View Post
                    Again, keep the auto, and get it revalved and a high stall converter....You'll like it much more, and if its agressive enough it will break the tires loose on shifts....
                    Yeah, it has a high stall converter and the engine is completely balanced/blueprinted....already breaks the tires loose from 1-2 hehe.

my major problem with the current tranny is the same one I have with any auto, its friggin' boring. I think something like a B&M would do the trick tho..we'll see, car wont be completely mine until the winter anyhow
                    -james

Comment

i'm pretty sure you can pick up one of those shifters in town. Mopac, i think. on 16th ave.

Comment

Working...
                      X