• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veyron Super sport breaks land speed record

damn 430km/hr!!

http://www.thepassinglane.ca/2010/07...ed-record.html

Bugatti Veyron Super Sport smashes land speed record

Justin Couture, MSN Autos

Most mainstream car companies announce new products on the world stage at international auto shows. Other brands – usually posh, exotic ones – do it more discreetly, inviting wealthy customers and celebrities to lavish champagne and caviar parties. But for the announcement of its new Veyron 16.4 Super Sport model, Bugatti trumped them all: It broke the land speed record for production cars.

Following two passes at the Ehra-Lessien track near Wolfsburg, Germany on the fourth of July, with Guinness Book of Records officials present, the Veyron Super Sport officially averaged 431.17 km/h besting the former record holder, the SSC Ultimate Aero TT by nearly 20 km/h.

Traffic pylon orange wheels and two-tone paint aside, the Veryon Super Sport has a tweaked version of its famed W16 engine with four enlarged turbochargers and heavier-duty intercoolers. The revised powerplant cranks out 1,200 horsepower and 1,106 lb.-ft. of torque, up from the standard version’s 1,001 horsepower and 922 lb.-ft. of torque. Having driven one of the “standard” models personally, it’s difficult to imagine what having an extra 199 horsepower on board might feel like.

But it takes more than brute force to enable a car to travel at over one-third the speed of sound. To keep the car stable, Bugatti’s engineers revamped the suspension with stiffer spring rates and race-grade shock absorbers. In addition, Bugatti cleaned the Veyron’s profile up, replacing the engine’s roof scoops with a pair of sleeker NACA ducts, while the front and rear valances have are more streamlined appearance. The tail end also receives a new double diffuser for improved downforce.

Gallery: See other 1,000+ horsepower cars

Production of the Super Sport will begin this autumn but the first five units – the World Record Edition models – are already spoken for. To discourage the general public from making their own land speed record attempts, Bugatti has limited the top speed to 415 km/h, citing tire safety reasons. Though the price has yet to be announced, the Veyron Super Sport is certain to be one of the most expensive automobiles in the world.

Re: Veyron Super sport breaks land speed record

Would like to see it in another colour scheme, but cannot argue with the numbers!! I hear 1.6 million if you want to order one

Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

lets see the ultimate beat that
      sigpic

Comment

You know, while I'm all in favor of making things go faster, this land speed record thing has turned into a penis measuring contest. We all know that the only reason Bugatti did this is because they can't sell these 1,000,000+ euro cars without them being the fastest cars on the market. It's pretty pathetic when they make a land speed record, call it the fastest again and then limit the top speed. Either buy the car because you appreciate the design and engineering or go spend the million euros on a real penis extension.
        "Paranoia is just the eerie sensation of knowing you're right"

Comment

What a color!!!!!!
          ~~TODD~~
          '12 x5 35d fully deleted (DUDMD Stg2)

Comment

They have to limit it. Could you imagine the crash...

I bet the SSC is limited.That thing is sick. Full carbon, is sick. I wonder what is weighs.

I like how it is sleeker.

I also wonder how fast it makes the run. After watching some of the TT Gallardos pull 250mph in a standing mile, makes this car look a bit slow...ish.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister T View Post
              You know, while I'm all in favor of making things go faster, this land speed record thing has turned into a penis measuring contest. We all know that the only reason Bugatti did this is because they can't sell these 1,000,000+ euro cars without them being the fastest cars on the market. It's pretty pathetic when they make a land speed record, call it the fastest again and then limit the top speed. Either buy the car because you appreciate the design and engineering or go spend the million euros on a real penis extension.

They limit it by 15km/h bro! You can run faster than 15kmh! lol.
              sigpic

Comment

And 15km/h out of 430 is like 3%, the question is will you ever have a space/time to get even close to that speed.

Still an amazing piece of automotive engineering and if had the money I would have to have one!
                Blair
                Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Last edited by R_Ethug; 07-18-2010, 10:30 PM.

Comment

And now the Veyron SuperSport the fastest car on the TopGear track.

On VW's test track, Captain Slow took it up to 259mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyajrqUjG7M

-Dave

Comment

Shut up
                      D.J.
                      Turbo SVT Focus
                      Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

I saw this on the most recent Top Gear episode. While I was hugely impressed with the new top speed i was even more impressed by how much faster it was around the Top Gear test track than the old Veyron. Two seconds faster!
                        Last edited by VanDamage; 07-26-2010, 02:26 PM.
                        Levi.W
                        78 BMW 635CSi - Project
                        91 Mercedes 190E 2.6 - Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Geschwindigkeit View Post
                          I saw this on the most recent Top Gear episode. While I was hugely impressed with the new top speed i was even more impressed by how much faster it was around the Top Gear test track than the old Veyron. Two seconds faster!
                          And apparently Tom Cruise can drive fast....

Comment

do you really think bugatti cares what some passat owner from south calgary thinks?
                            IF...and thats a big IF....if you could even afford one of these things does it really matter to you thats its limited to a lowly 415km/h? On what public road or track, are you going to even be getting close to that speed? Not to mention where most of us have balls you have a sandy vagine so you wouldn't be doing it anyway.
                            I love the internet. Keyboard cowboys who poke sticks and throw **** at engineering masterpieces that they will never own because "they limited the top speed" on the $3 million car that they will never have a hope in hell of owning.
                            I dont really give a crap about the reason behind bugatti wanting to make this, and if in fact it is a dick measuring contest. It's bloody cool, is truly an engineering masterpiece, and will be a part of automotive history just like the McLaren F1.
                            Team Highschool
                            Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

^^ ding

Comment

Working...
                              X