Test Drive: 2012 WRX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test Drive: 2012 WRX

Fiancee and I went and drove the 2012 WRX (non-STi) on Saturday.

Not even sure I want to write a review; one of the worst cars I've ever driven - especially at that price!

- Interior was so terrible. Everything rattles, plastic feels 10 years behind everyone else. Seat "leather" has wrinkles as though it's just a canadian-tire seat cover pulled over top. Things like shift boot are clearly fake/vinyl.

- Engine nothing to write home about, doesn't feel as fast as the VW 2.0T, lot more turbo lag, harder to do corners because you lose boost between gears. Boost starts late, maybe 4k+, and feels like it tapers off up high, too.

- Engine sounds bad, whines and no exhaust note.

- No room inside; the new design of the sloped hatch means there is no space back there even with the seats down, partly because the floor is pretty high up too.

- Price is insane, $39K on the model I drove

- Can totally understand the buzz around the Genesis now; my friend has a MazdaSpeed3 which I prefer too. Can't imagine the 370z isn't a better car, too.
    Last edited by Kor; 10-31-2011, 12:37 PM.
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Re: Test Drive: 2012 WRX

My buddy works at Tunerworks, says they have had 3 or 4 2008 and newer (including a 2011 IIRC) Subies in there having the engines rebuilt in the last few months. Ones with only minor engine upgrades .
    Jeff
    Current: 2017 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line
    Previous: 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line, 2001 VW Jetta

Comment

I love your review, point form and to the point. I was looking for a AWD Wagon with a manual trans and the Subaru is the only other rear contender, glad I went with an Audi.

A friend just bought a newer Legacy wagon with 40K on it and the dash creeks worse than an 84 Sunbird.

What about a Volvo wagon?

Comment

My Wife has an '11 WRX Sedan, Im not sure how much has changed but I will add points on below. Ive had a fair bit of driving time since my car has been down in pieces for a while:

-Interior was so terrible. Everything rattles, plastic feels 10 years behind everyone else. -There is something with the rear seatbelt/carseat anchor that rattles like a mofo...I put some foam back there and stopped it. Besides that we didnt have any other rattles. Driving the WRX then my 01 S4 sure makes me appreciate my Audi interior...

-Seat "leather" has wrinkles as though it's just a canadian-tire seat cover pulled over top. ---Could be that particular car. Hers doesnt seem too bad, certainly not VW/Audi quality leather though

-Things like shift boot are clearly fake/vinyl. ---Definitely cheap vinyl... that was a sore spot with me

- Engine nothing to write home about, doesn't feel as fast as the VW 2.0T, lot more turbo lag, harder to do corners because you lose boost between gears. Boost starts late, maybe 4k+, and feels like it tapers off up high, too. ---The car really needs to be driven in the higher rpm range.. once you get the hang of it I actually have fun with it..Im coming from a Stage 3 S4 so I dont notice the lag as much.

- Engine sounds bad, whines and no exhaust note. ---My Wife actually complains the exhaust it too loud! In the lower RPM's it definitely has a tone and a bit of a drone..

- No room inside; the new design of the sloped hatch means there is no space back there even with the seats down, partly because the floor is pretty high up too. ---Similar issue with sedan.. there is a wired bump that reduces the trunk room. One note, WAY less trunk space in an Evo!! its ridiculous.

- Price is insane, $39K on the model I drove- ---I think ours was 32.. At nearly 40 Id expect much more as well.

- Can totally understand the buzz around the Genesis now; my friend has a MazdaSpeed3 which I prefer too. Can't imagine the 370z isn't a better car, too. --We didnt drive any of those... car had to be 4dr and AWD

Comment

I wouldnt compare an Audi to a Subaru
          Interiors are not anything special by any means.( mines entirely blue )
          People do not buy the car for the luxo feel thou
          I love my Subaru, but I miss the luxury of my Audi

The engines stock, knock at WOT. A Tunes fixes that, and really opens up the motor.

New wrx o-60 is like 4.7(265 hp)
          Should be faster than a vw 2.0 t(200 hp)

Best part of my car is the drivetrain/ the smile it puts on my face.

For the cost/ power/reliability I don't know what else I would get
          then again, i have a modded STi

I know that I couldn't afford to fix an stg3 s4, if something big broke.
          Last edited by T-Dubbs; 11-01-2011, 08:21 PM.
          ~~TODD~~
          '12 x5 35d fully deleted (DUDMD Stg2)

Comment

Stage 3 S4s don't break
            Graeme

2015 S4
            2018 Monster 1200S

Comment

I also tested a a 2011 WRX STI wagon last month.. Buddy beside me looks at me with a big smile on his face after i gave it full power, and said " pretty fast Ah" i looked at him and said "NOT REALLY" he sat quite after that lol...

CAR was a POS IMO.. One i tested was 42K ish....
              12 VW Golf
              09 BMW 135i
              07 MKV GTI
              03 Jetta GLI
              01 Jetta GLS
              90 Jetta GL

Comment

I drove a 2011 sti in the summer and I didn't find it that fast at all. My own car is a jetta with a 1.8t, no engine mods other than a bigger downpipe and I feel like my car has more low end torque. The subaru can definitely be driven hard, the suspension and handling is superb but the engine just isnt as great as i expected

Comment

haha freddy...did you show up in the bimmer or the beater jetta? Cause if you showed up in the beater, maybe thats why he thinks its fast haha

Comment

Originally posted by 852VR6 View Post
                    haha freddy...did you show up in the bimmer or the beater jetta? Cause if you showed up in the beater, maybe thats why he thinks its fast haha
                    BMW lol
                    12 VW Golf
                    09 BMW 135i
                    07 MKV GTI
                    03 Jetta GLI
                    01 Jetta GLS
                    90 Jetta GL

Comment

Working...
                    X