Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Have I Done?!

Sunday was interesting, indeedy!
    Random thing found today: a block heater! Don't know if it works yet...

Cleaned the undercarriage somewhat with Spray Nine and pressure washing.

Swivel joint inspection time!:

So we started adding swivel grease in to find out where it leaked and it wasn't hard to find it :rofl:. The grease pushed out this watered down oil mixture so it was like a flush on its own :

Ball joint looks pristine!
    The leather gaiter doesn't have holes or tears but it was just poor installation from the previous owner. Refolded the leather, tightened the bolts and the leak subsided from 'gushing' to 'drip'.

The right one wasn't leaking because it was bone dry. Used leftover grease to start pushing out the old oil and the leak is in the same spot!
    Same deal; readjust the leather gaiter and it's less leaky.

Exterior lights were also replaced:

Looking good! Brake fluid flush and gearbox gasket were not addressed but there's always another day. :thumbsup:
    Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:YouTube

Don

sigpic

Comment

Nice progress I need to speed up my cabby to life haha. Looks pretty tough working on this oldie.
      Current Fleet
      #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
      2001 Cobra #88/3786
      1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
      2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
      2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by kujiwara View Post
        Nice progress I need to speed up my cabby to life haha. Looks pretty tough working on this oldie.
        I find this easier actually haha. Learning the basics on this is pretty neat and since it's old-school, it can have infinite workarounds, a lot of room in the engine bay (JUST LOOK AT IT!), and not a bazillion of systems/electrics to worry about.
        Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:YouTube

Don

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by flipstah View Post
          I find this easier actually haha. Learning the basics on this is pretty neat and since it's old-school, it can have infinite workarounds, a lot of room in the engine bay (JUST LOOK AT IT!), and not a bazillion of systems/electrics to worry about.
          This is one thing I love about having such an old car. You can fix everything yourself and find problems really easily since there is not really that much to go wrong.
          Levi.W
          78 BMW 635CSi - Project
          91 Mercedes 190E 2.6 - Daily

Comment

Originally posted by VanDamage View Post
            This is one thing I love about having such an old car. You can fix everything yourself and find problems really easily since there is not really that much to go wrong.
            Pretty much.

Don

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VanDamage View Post
              Yeah old cars are great fun to work on except when I found out that the previous owner threw away all the bolts and nuts after he removed most of the parts...
              Current Fleet
              #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
              2001 Cobra #88/3786
              1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
              2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
              2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Good start to the weekend!

Cleaned the air filter but sourcing out the original oil bath air filter.

Meanwhile, the gearbox got a new gasket mounted:

CB antenna is mounted now with an aluminum extension:

Enjoyed the best upgrade so far:

So relaxing to drive now! :clap:

Don

sigpic

Comment

Oh man, haven't update the thread in a while and a lot of work has been involved.

------------

These are for next week; more gear oil for the overdrive, swivel joint grease, and new engine/gearbox mounts.

I learnt a trick from a fellow Land Rover enthusiast on how to prolong the life of leaf springs; spray graphite!

Before spray graphite...

After spray graphite. Made sure the lubricant wicked its' way in-between the leaves.

My LR Series is a North American version so the hardest parts to replace are those huge amber lights. Light guards are now installed!

The rear ones are also huge so the stock tail guards won't fit so I spliced one of the front guards in half.

Left hub is leaking. UGH.

And last-minute mods...

I'll be installing jate rings next week as that's the proper device and I'll leave them there for now.

Went off-roading for the first time ever today to Waiparous Trail with buddies.

Garth went through the trail with ease but we didn't continue past the meadow because the mud got way too soft,

High range and low range works well and after going through my first run, I don't feel like I need any more mods; just maintenance and recovery prep gear. When I went through, I didn't feel like I needed lockers or a winch but then again, it was an easy trail.

The Land Rover went through the mud with ease thanks to the tires and I'll probably just get another set of wheels/tires for winter if these suck in the cold.

A jerry can will solve my small fuel tank issue and other than that, he's good to go!

Pressure washed the truck after the run so no mud will stick but the WD40/graphite grease I sprayed yesterday worked wonders:

It was raining hard but it calmed down a bit after:

EDIT:

Here's a video of Garth in action:

http://s113.photobucket.com/user/dj_...3edb2.mp4.html

Party on, Garth!

Don

sigpic

Comment

So I went to my local 4WD parts store to get advice on where to put front recovery points.

The best option that they had for me was a suggestion to fabricate a beefier bumper to support that much force. Still unsure of what to do but the tie-downs are the best last-resort option I have right now,

Bought a rear recovery hitch for the back,

Also went to pick up a vintage plate I bought locally,

Garth was driving fine and literally, 200m away from my house, the transmission just went 'clunk' and disengaged in the middle of the street!

Nothing fell out, no BIG leaks, so must be an internal issue and I can't open it up right now since it's dark.

Thankfully, locking hubs and 4WD high range still worked. Drove it in 2WD front safely.

EDIT: It could be the rear diff. Dunno.

Originally posted by flipstah
                    Hoping it's a halfshaft issue, which is 'easy' according to this:

http://www.legionlandrover.com/manua...nd%20rover.pdf
                    Using the link above as a reference, it is a right axle shaft issue, which thankfully, broke at the drive flange end (closest to the wheel) :

Left shaft is fine:

Nothing stuck in-between the diff (you can see the other side through the white light) but will still open it to inspect.

^ The diff was opened up anyway and we found what looks to be, a new diff (not OEM):

The diff came off for inspection which was a good thing, because we found no gaskets or sealants on it. That's why it leaks hard. Facepalm.

Picking up the bits and pieces of the carnage inside. It's not the diff teeth but the shaft.

Closer look at the Weber twin choke.

Weird adaptor-welding contraption going on here.

So we found a fuel pump...

That leads to a reservoir that feeds the carburetor but have no idea if it's pumping fuel or not.

Does this serial # mean anything? Tried looking to determine if it's a 3 or 5-bearing 2.25L but no serial # near the exhaust port....

Behold the Fairey OD!

Dry as a bone.

There's this crescent-shapped nut in the picture above that can feely move and it's leaking oil. What is it?

Meanwhile, transmission mounts are on and engine mounts are next.

Don

sigpic

Comment

Parts came in today:

It's going to be a busy weekend. :drool:

I'm officially crazy but no matter.

Happy weekend for Team Garth!

[YOUTUBE]xos2MnVxe-c[/YOUTUBE]

The axle shafts are in, put new diff oil in, new gaskets, and he's rolling.

GARTH IS ALIVE AGAIN!

Previous owner was lazy though and put a random bolt instead of the original one so one has bigger threads. Planning to replace all flange bolts.

To celebrate the momentous occasion, new steering damper is in.

Took off the old mudguard brackets that the previous owner left to rot. You know how hard it is to get 30 years of rusted bolts off?! Dremel; crowbar; hammer; repeat.

New mudflaps are now on and tomorrow will continue with new side mirrors, and the weekend will be a brake fluid flush & more goodies to be installed!

Don

sigpic

Comment

Some musings I learnt over the weekend:

Took Garth out from Calgary to Edmonton on Friday night and this was my first long drive on the Land Rover.

It can do 115kph but it's at the price of your eardrums. 90kph is adequate. I can also do Calgary to Red Deer (~146km) in half a tank (~22.5L), giving me a mileage of ~15MPG!

Using downhill momentum to get to the other side works wonders!

My heater works well, thankfully and on Saturday, I learnt through other LR oweners that I need to work on approach, techniques, and knowing the LR's limitations. It was a fun run with the Alberta Land Rover Enthusiasts (ALRE)!

Sunday was McLean Creek and rock crawl is fun! There was a rockshelf I wanted to try but there wasn't enough power in that 2.25L petrol engine to get me up.

The view more than made it up for it. :thumbsup:

I'll post videos up once I've edited them because the engine vibrated so much :rofl:

Also, I've added some more mods before the trip which included, better recovery points at the front and bigger side mirrors.

Don

sigpic

Comment

Here are more pics from our McLean trip:

What happens before we start? My battery dies. :rofl:

Boosted, I'm good to go again! :thumbsup:

The rock shelf.

I could clear but not enough power in the 2.25L petrol to get Garth all the way up! After trying out various paths, he couldn't make it up. Kept stalling on the second step.

The descent. The right side is all cliff. :eek:

Thought I'd get wet:

Bad idea. That took me an hour to clean on the INSIDE and out.

Got new oil to try out on Garth: 15W40 Rotella T and new back seats from The Rover Shop Calgary.

New heavy duty battery from Interstate as the old one was too small. Through voltmeter testing, we found out that the alternator wasn't efficient enough when all of the electrics were on. Time to check out better options.

Videos coming this weekend. Still editing.

Don

sigpic

Comment

Looking good Don...lotsa work is paying off!!!
                            Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                            Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Such an interesting project!!!
                              Blair
                              Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by Geobmx4life View Post
                                Looking good Don...lotsa work is paying off!!!
                                Thanks! Slowly but surely, he's running and just trying to figure out things on how to make him run well.

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo View Post
                                Such an interesting project!!!
                                Not really the VW's that everyone is used to but I have plans for CPTNSLW next year...

Don

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X