Cheap used SUVs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap used SUVs?

I was considering renting an SUV for a week in Calgary next month and the cost for that is $400-$600

I'm therefore considering buying an older cheap SUV just for the purpose of moving stuff to/from Vancouver and Calgary and moving around my parents who are older and may need more space to be comfortable.

Something from 2004-2008 is probably the target years, from $3k to $5k.
    This is just a buy, use for 2 weeks and sell thing, so cheap as possible and not too thirsty.

Any recommendations?

Re: Cheap used SUVs?

I wouldn't bother. By the time you deal with registration, insurance and hassle of re-selling you're going to come out losing money.

I'd suggest trying Autoslash a try for rentals. I got a car in Maui for 50% of what all other sites were telling me. https://www.autoslash.com/

Pat

His
    1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
    1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
    1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
    Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Thanks for the website!

I tried it out, it's coming up with about $900+tax for a week for a medium SUV.
      Doesn't seem to have worked for my rental dates unfortunately.

Comment

How many trips are you making between Calgary and Vancouver? Maybe you could opt for a u-haul van and discount flight tickets for your parents.

Could also consider getting a grand caravan 08s go for like 3k on facebook marketplace. They should be pretty easy to get your hands off of too, just make sure you haggle the shxx out of the seller before you buy, because you usually get haggled the shxx out of when you try to sell cars of this price range.

I feel like it might be a PITA to buy and sell in two three weeks, you're probably gonna end up spending the same as renting from paying for insurance and losing money on a sale.
        You need to consider what suv's are desirable so it's easy to sell, like a honda crv or toyota highlander, not a gas guzzler like an explorer or mercedes ML. Could also get a car with faded paint that runs good and give it a good polish and wax before selling to recoup some cost.
        Last edited by kujiwara; 07-27-2018, 11:59 AM.
        Current Fleet
        #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
        2001 Cobra #88/3786
        1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
        2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
        2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Working...
        X