No announcement yet.

Tesla Cybertruck : Yipee Kayay or WTF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesla Cybertruck : Yipee Kayay or WTF?

Photography by Sean O’Kane / The Verge

Tesla CEO Elon Musk revealed the highly anticipated truck on Thursday night in Los Angeles, proclaiming that "trucks have been the same for a very long time" before introducing the unconventionally angular truck.

The Cybertruck starts at $39,900 for the single-motor rear-wheel-drive version, dual motor for $49,000 and goes up to $69,900 for the tri-motor all-wheel-drive version; self-driving features are a $7,000 add-on.

The base version of the Cybertruck, with a single motor, is good for 250 miles of range, a tow rating of 7,500 pounds, and a 0- to 60-mph time of 6.5 seconds. Production is expected to begin in late 2021. A dual-motor version that can tow 10,000 pounds and reach 60 mph in 4.5 seconds, with 300 miles of range. And the top-of-the-line variant, with 3 motors, will go more than 500 miles between charges, hit 60 mph in under 3 seconds, tow up to 14,000 pounds, and start production in late 2022.

Tesla isn't the only automaker in the electric-pickup market. Ford is developing an all-electric F-150, and Bollinger Motors recently introduced its fully electric all-wheel-drive B2 Pickup Truck, though it has a steeper price point and a lower range than the Cybertruck. Rivian, a startup backed by Ford and Amazon, is also developing an electric pickup.

Yes, the design is insane. Probably too insane for most. And Tesla will have to adjust some of that to comply with regulations. It'll need to redo the headlights - you just can't have a string of lights in the US. In fact, all the lights will probably need some rethinking to comply with the law. I don't think it even has blinkers at this point. Also, it'll need side mirrors. The steering wheel isn't actually a wheel, right now. Oh, and Tesla will have to crash that 9mm bulletproof body into a few walls to make sure that, while it can withstand a blow from a hammer, it'll still absorb the impact of another car or truck. And the glass will probably need some work.

Some details:

1. The passenger pickup can seat six people.
    2. The automaker says the truck has a body made from "ultra-hard 30X cold-rolled stainless steel" and "armor glass."
    3. Tesla says that the rear cargo area is lockable and that the truck has a total of 100 cubic feet of enclosed exterior storage.
    4. The truck also has onboard power for plugging in tools and other appliances
    5. All models will have an adaptive air suspension for self-leveling and ride-height adjustment, up to 16 inches.
    6. It’s seriously heavy, that thick glass and thick stainless steel will make the truck extraordinarily heavy, though the weight wasn’t disclosed.
    Like it
    0%
    Not for me thanks
    0%

Re: Tesla Cybertruck : Yipee Kayay or WTF?

I don't get it... like not even a little bit.
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

My thought process is: remember how no wanted a wagon because that's what their parents had, so everyone got SUVs, then wagons came back (as a niche thing) for the newer generation because it's not the SUV their parents have? I think this is not the truck that your parents have in the same way.

Comment

^^^ I understand that as I doubt this appeals to the bulk of the traditional F150 fans, but yes Tesla is a bit more about disruption than anything else really.

Personally I think it looks way too big and not like a truck at all, a bit more like if the Grand Tour guys were tasked with building a truck
        Blair
        Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Motor1 made a render showing what a closer to production version might look like.

Comment

Definitely WTF... I almost think this is a ruse to get lots of talk happening... of course IMHO Tesla is a company that makes cars... not much passion in there product...
            FB

S2/RS6
            http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2961

Comment

Working...
            X