Opinions - Cayman S?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions - Cayman S?

With the auto show coming up I have been excited about seeing a few cars, and one car I have not actually seen much of in the past is the Cayman S, which I know is not a new car but nonetheless. Just wondering what the opinions are of those Eurodrivers who have seen or read about this car.

I can't make up my mind about it - its one of those cars that I love and hate at the same time in different ways, (like the Z4 M Coupe).

Has anyone driven one?
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Re: Opinions - Cayman S?

From all that I've read it's a great car. It has the nearly perfect Porsche handling, a fair amount of power (not crazy)... I was just reading this morning that it does 0-60 in 5.1 sec or something like that. The only thing to complain about is the price really... especially if heavily optioned.
    billip
    2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

I drove the **** out of James' dads. Beautiful machine for sure!!!! I think if I was to drop almost 100k on a car it would not be the Cayman S tho..

Present
      2010 Audi A4 S-Line
      2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
      2003 VW Jetta GLI
      1992 VW Jetta GL
      1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

yea i was gonna say james' dad has one.. i think they are hot as hell but yea pricey.. 100k i'd buy something different for sure.. rs4

but then again a porsche is a porsche

Comment

295hp is kind of below par for the course. I've read that the Cayman has out-lapped much faster cars though including sometimes the 911/997 and cars like the M3 and RS4. Likely because of the outstanding handling and mid-engine balance. However on a straight stretch it does kind of seem to be a bit weak and from what I have read you're lucky to get 20 more hp out of the engine even if you spend $3000 on bolt on mods.

On the other hand price actually is not as high as you guys think on the Cayman S. On the used market you can get a Cayman for quite a bit below sticker price and also quite a bit cheaper than any other Porsche, even cheaper than a base used 996 and its a much newer car with low mileage.

RS4's are a little harder to find and I think you are looking at quite a bunch more cash to find one even used and the depreciation is smaller off the lot.
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

The new TT is supposed to give the Cayman a good run for it's money. Won't beat it in handling, but in other areas it may make up for it. But the Cayman S is a whole different story.
            billip
            2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

The Boxster S gets the Cayman's engine this year and it's a lot cheaper. Just another option to think about.
              2008 Audi RS4
              2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

I think a used Cayman S would be a great option, new they are a bit steep. I have never driven one but I am a fan, also like the Z4 M coupe!
                Blair
                Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Working...
                X