X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 997 Turbo Vs GT-R Video (Japan)

Time Trial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gRaO69vfuU

IMO unfair because the 997T has the tip automatic still and the GT-R I assume has a dual-clutch or manual.

The GT-R handily beats the 997T on the track from the looks of things. I'm not sure if the GT3 wouldn't do better though too.
    Last edited by Kor; 01-15-2008, 03:53 PM.
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Re: 997 Turbo Vs GT-R Video (Japan)

gtr is only dual clutch right now.. manual coming i beleive..

i'd still take the porsche.. its like a stage3 srt4 vs a cayman S

take your pic lol.. kris you chose right.. no fail

Comment

The GT-R sure seems to have alot more traction and control when on the gas coming out of the corners and is able to brake later coming up to corners, I'd like to see what tires were being used on each of the cars, and when it comes down to it come ooooooooon its a Porsche for god sakes who wouldn't choose it, and for sure I think a GT3 would whip them both on the track, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
      2002 996TT
      2011 S5
      2004 S4 Avant

Comment

Is it just me or does the video clearly not state that it is a 911 multiple times?
        Name: Brent
        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall View Post
          Is it just me or does the video clearly not state that it is a 911 multiple times?
          Its a 911 model 997 Turbo

Don't think anyone said differently?

I mentioned a GT3 just saying that IF they tested against a 997 GT3 it might do better than the Turbo.
          Last edited by Kor; 01-15-2008, 05:50 PM.
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Well that just shows my lack of knowledge on Posches lol
            Name: Brent
            His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
            Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
            Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
              I mentioned a GT3 just saying that IF they tested against a 997 GT3 it might do better than the Turbo.
              I have Aug 07 issue Car & Driver where they track tested many production cars at Virginia Raceway's Grand Course, Their GT3 ran the course in 3:01.8 which was 4 sec faster than the turbo's best time. In fact the R8 ran 1.2sec faster lap times than the 997 turbo.
              2002 996TT
              2011 S5
              2004 S4 Avant

Comment

not bad...GTR 500hp vs 997 440hp. That was kinda predictable. The interesting thing is that Porsche already came out with the new GT2 or 530hp. I would like to see that race, even if it takes place again in Japan.
                Hondas are like tampons, every pussy needs one!

Comment

Love it!
                  2008 Audi RS4
                  2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

GT2 is still a Porsche but I think maybe a bit hard to handle in the corners... 100% RWD, rear-engine, and a LOT of power...
                    KR
                    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
                      GT2 is still a Porsche but I think maybe a bit hard to handle in the corners... 100% RWD, rear-engine, and a LOT of power...
                      The GT2 is the fastest 911 porsche ever produced, ever! It would def. take a skilled driver to get the cars max potential but with its huge sticky 325's in the rear with supposedly excellent stability control (only kicks in when it has too but can still be turned off), and added downforce, lighter weight etc. etc. the car is a track monster. In my newer issue of R&T Walter Rohrl (4 time winner of Monte Carlo Rally and one of Porsche's senior test drivers) says the GT2 has the most grip of any porsche 911 he's ever driven. The GT-R claims to have done the Nurburgring in 7:38 while walter did it in the GT2 in 7:32, which was 14 sec faster than the 996 GT2's previous record on the track. You can see him testing the car on youtube but it is all in German so bring a translator, SCHEISSE!
                      2002 996TT
                      2011 S5
                      2004 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall View Post
                        Well that just shows my lack of knowledge on Posches lol
                        agreed. i never really understood it either. but to be fair i havent really put any effort into learning.

Comment

Originally posted by timdog View Post
                          agreed. i never really understood it either. but to be fair i havent really put any effort into learning.
                          The Porsche 911 Carrera is the name of the rear engine 2+2 sports car made by Porsche.

Every couple of years, they update the design of the car. Like with VW's Mk1 Mk2 Mk3 Mk4 Mk5.

Each update to the 911 also has a 9xx model designation.

911, 930 (Turbo), 964, 993, 996, 997 (current).

There is a pretty big difference between a 993 and a 997 for example, so a lot of people refer to them by those names, just like dubbers would differentiate a Mk2 with a Mk5. If you just said "Golf" it might be confusing.

911 "Mk1"

911 "Turbo" 930

911 "964"

911 "993"

911 "996"

911 "997"

Last edited by Kor; 01-16-2008, 05:09 PM.
                          KR
                          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Working...
                          X