2014 Porsche Cajun... Turbo! AKA Macan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Porsche Cajun... Turbo! AKA Macan

I think my AWD Daily Driver replacement has definitely been found!

From MotorTrend:
    MT Article

At last month's Paris auto show, newly appointed Porsche CEO Michael Muller -- who had officially been on the job for all of one day -- was pelted with questions during a U.S. auto journalist roundtable about the future direction of the brand.

The white-haired Bavarian and longtime VW Group exec did the best he could to deflect specific product questions and volume projections, but the mandate was clear: Porsche will grow and get greener; there will be all-new vehicles as part of that growth; and they will maintain the aura of Porsche prestige. While he declined to get specific ("Give me 100 days," he pleaded), there was little doubt reading between the lines that the Cajun -- the long-rumored crossover that would slot below the Cayenne -- would be one of those all-new vehicles.

Based on what we're hearing out of Europe, the green light has been lit and the Cajun is indeed a go, with production set to begin early in 2013, likely as a 2014 model.

As has been long rumored, the Cajun will share its basic underpinnings and powertrains with the Audi Q5, which itself is due for a refresh about the same time the Cajun arrives. But unlike the Q5, the Cajun will be offered in both two-and four-door configurations. The Cajun four-door, said to feature a coupe-like profile that's all the rage lately, should arrive first, with the two-door (illustrations of which are pictured here) coming about a year later. Previous reports indicated the Cajun would be two-door only, but Porsche apparently believes it needs both variants to ensure its success.

Another current trend is the continued greening of automaker fleets, and the Cajun is expected to come with a range of engines designed with efficiency in mind, including Audi-sourced 2.0- and 3.0-liter diesels and a hybrid variant with a 2.0-liter/electric motor combo cribbed from Q5. In addition to the max efficiency diesel and hybrid engines, uprated variants of Audi's 2.0-liter turbocharged four and the 3.0-liter supercharged six are said to be part of the powertrain mix. Don't expect the base four bangers to make it to the U.S., but the hybrid is apparently part of the plan and the 3.0-liter diesel is a possibility. A modified version of Audi's quattro all-wheel drive, along with its six- and seven-speed dual-clutch trannys, will route the power to the road. Still unclear at this point is if the dual-clutch units will make it here, Porsche may go with a more traditional automatic.

Porsche being Porsche, there will of course be a top-spec Cajun Turbo model, which we hear will be powered by an all-new, Porsche developed 3.0-liter twin-turbocharged V-6 expected to be rated around 350 horsepower. In addition, expect the Cajun to come with plenty of parts from the Porsche bin, including uprated brakes with a carbon ceramic option, the Sport Chrono pack, and a sport exhaust system.

Inside, unique seats and a cockpit setup designed to emphasize sports-car-like driving dynamics is on the to-do list, along with combination of familiar themes cribbed from other Porsche stablemates.

There are reportedly some elements within Porsche that worry the Cajun will end up encroaching on Cayenne territory the same way the Cayman has butted against the 911. In addition, there are fears the Cajun four-door especially will cannibalize Q5 sales. But the dissenting voices have apparently been mollified, and with the crossover market continuing to explode, Muller and his VW Group apparently feel the Cajun is worth the risk.

Rob
    Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
    Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Re: 2014 Porsche Cajun... Turbo!

Really, it looks like a lifted version of the ugly volvo.
    Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
    2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

I dont like the name. Why not Serrano or some kind of pepper to go with the cayenne?

Looks alright to me

Pat

His
      1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
      1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
      1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
      2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
      Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Originally posted by Eurotuner. View Post
        Really, it looks like a lifted version of the ugly volvo.
        this^^

Comment

I actually think the xc60 looks better actually.
          Jay

Comment

this would be sweet except who wants a 2 door mini-SUV?
            Team Highschool
            Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Originally posted by RONDAL View Post
              this would be sweet except who wants a 2 door mini-SUV?
              have you seen the new range rover evoque?
              same sorta deal

we get the third one in town!
              ~~TODD~~
              '12 x5 35d fully deleted (DUDMD Stg2)

Comment

Range rover actually looks semi-baller though.
                Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

stupid observation, but how come it has English license plates?
                  MKV GTI
                  '73 Westfalia

Comment

Pointless and ugly.
                    Levi.W
                    78 BMW 635CSi - Project
                    91 Mercedes 190E 2.6 - Daily

Comment

What... no love for a 2-door SUV? Yikes...
                      ...I guess a Maserati SUV makes more sense anyways.

Rob

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

Originally posted by jonnie5 View Post
                        stupid observation, but how come it has English license plates?
                        Target audience perhaps.... there are some rich bankers who made a lot of money out of the financial meltdown in the UK.... well..thats my random theory anyways.

Nice vehicle... silly name...
                        Current: 2002 Zonda CRV
                        2004 VW MK4 1.8T GTI
                        2001 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec (European)

Comment

footballers cars are what they are known as
                          Team Highschool
                          Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Looks like BMW might be getting in there too with an X3 3-door?

Rob

Comment

i like it! i'd get one

Comment

Working...
                              X