4 Cylinder Porsche

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Cylinder Porsche

New details are starting to emerge about Porsche's four-cylinder engine, which is slated to be launched in an entry-level roadster.

In an interview with Autocar, Wolfgang Durheimer - the outgoing head of research and development - confirmed the engine is under development and could be used in the 2012 Boxster and Cayman. More interestingly, he went on to say it "could be applied, if necessary, to the 911." While this sounds like blasphemy, he added "Our decision is, on the 911 side, we'll stay with the flat [six]. But there are opportunities for the future."

Expected to displace 2.5-liters, the four-cylinder engine will reportedly be unique to Porsche and available in turbocharged guise. While specifications are still pending, the latter variant could produce upwards of 360 hp (268 kW / 365 PS).
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Re: 4 Cylinder Porsche

There are also rumors of a 1.9L variant that would be shared with VW and Audi in there small roadster offerings.
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

If indeed they build a 2.5L 360hp nobody has any reason to complain - the current 3.4L only eeks out just over 300hp and I'm sure weighs way more. Plus a turbo 4 is more aftermarket, eco and pocketbook friendly. Bring it!

I'm sure that the higher end cars will continue to have 6 cylinder engines but there is no room for inefficiency when you are trying to build the lightest car you can. Porsche has always been about practicality and technical excellence and I'm sure reducing weight is something they take very seriously these days. They leave other companies to their V12's and V10's the same way they always have. Years ago I'm sure Porsche faced the decision of whether they wanted to compete with Ferrari or other brands in the V8/V10/V12 space and they said "it doesn't matter how many cylinders we have, let's just build a great car." Result - cars like the GT2, GT3, 911 Turbo, etc.
      Last edited by Kor; 01-21-2011, 03:06 PM.
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

i cant help but wonder if this is coming from a push within Porsche/VAG and the announcement that most major race series (F1, WRC, etc) are all looking to go to 4 cylinder turbos, and if this is VAG letting porsche begin some R&D on a similiar type design.
        Team Highschool
        Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

I think it's an attempt to bring the average CO2 emissions down across the range to meet the increasingly strict Euro emissions standards.

Comment

Working...
          X