W211 e55 amg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W211 e55 amg

I have been looking for a new car and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the 2003-2006 E55 AMG's. I have done some reading and it seems like the motor and tranny are pretty solid. The air suspension is appealing because you can lower it for $150 and replacement bags are available for $400 per side. The biggest downside for me is the automatic transmission, like most Mercedes the E55 was not offered in manual. On the plus side they have 469hp stock and 500hp is easily attainable with an upgraded pulley and a tune. Anyways if you have any information please post. I am also considering a B6 S4.

Thanks!
    Tyler

vinylappeal.com

Re: W211 e55 amg

The e55 is an amazing machine, but I think you may not like it because a lot of younger owners have complained that it is to big and old man-ish. But it is BALLER for sure! You can pick up a 08 c63 for close to the same price as a e55.....
    Don't Panic, I'm Hispanic

Comment

Originally posted by popp View Post
      You can pick up a 08 c63 for close to the same price as a e55.....
      E55's are mostly in the 20's now.... (20-29 for most around Calgary) While C63s are minimum double that!

From my reading (I was/am looking into them as well) they are a beast for power and are also fairly easy to mod.. but most mods are quite expensive. I havent seen the 'bags' for 400, as its the full strut assembly that needs to be replaced, and I thought that was in the range of $1200 per corner on parts alone. From what I understand the biggest problem is the engine and electronics are quite complex.. think of a 2.7T with more electronics in terms of repairs. Lots of trial and error for fixes. (This from Rob at Tunerworks) The s/c'd engine wasnt widely used, so thats always a concern for me as well.

That being said... when I do sell my car, they are still near the top of the list. S4 owners are a glutton for punishment!
      Last edited by R-Audi; 05-14-2012, 07:37 AM.

Comment

the glass roof is a huge problem . the all creak really bad . also the pass side seat sensor lets go on most of them costing over 2200 to remedy . the air bladders in the seats are also prone to failure .. the engine is insane the tranny holds it fine but its a mercedes so have the bank to fix evry little thing that will break ,
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X