Porsche 918 Spyder Prototype

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porsche 918 Spyder Prototype

Porsche has completed the first prototypes of the 918 Spyder.

Wearing camouflage that harkens back to the 917 racing cars, the prototypes focus "on the interplay between the highly sophisticated individual drive components." As Porsche explains, the car's plug-hybrid powertrain - which includes a 570+ PS (419 kW / 562 hp) 4.6-liter V8 engine, a 109 PS (80 kW / 107 hp) electric motor on the front axle and a 122 PS (90 kW / 121 hp) electric motor on the rear axle - represents a new set of engineering challenges.

Despite the difficulties, Porsche said the initial trials were "in line with the high expectations placed on the 918 Spyder." As such, the prototypes have a combined output in excess of 770 PS (566 kW / 759 hp) which enables them to accelerate from 0-100 km/h in less than 3 seconds and hit a top speed in excess of 325 km/h (202 mph). In terms of efficiency, drivers can expect to average approximately 3.0 L/100 km (78.4 mpg US / 94.1 mpg UK) with CO2 emissions of roughly 70 g/km. Furthermore, thanks to a 6.8 kWh lithium-ion battery, the model can travel more than 25 km (15.5 miles) on electricity alone at speeds topping 150 km/h (93 mph).

The 918 Spyder will go into production in September 2013 and the first deliveries are set to take place later that year.

Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Re: Porsche 918 Spyder Prototype

Wow! Styling is a little bland, but the performance and fuel economy #'s are incredible, and it can run like a Volt too! I was expecting to the mpg to be like 30 or 35.
    Chris

Comment

Really, styling is bland? You do know this is a Porsche right? Buy a lambo if you want to show off your extreme supercar stylez

I read price will be over $850,000 USD to start, probably closer to $1M for the first buyers...
      Last edited by Kor; 05-16-2012, 10:52 AM.
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Sweet car
        --
        Rod
        Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
        2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

wowza
          Team Highschool
          Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

I'd love to see this beside the new McLaren... looks awesome!
            Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
            Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
            Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

It looks far too much like the 8 year old Porsche GT for me to be even slightly impressed with the styling. If this car was supposed to be just the next generation GT, then sure, it fits right in, but it's not. It's a $1mill groundbreaking hybrid supercar.
              Chris

Comment

amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by N'Syncro View Post
                  It looks far too much like the 8 year old Porsche GT for me to be even slightly impressed with the styling. If this car was supposed to be just the next generation GT, then sure, it fits right in, but it's not. It's a $1mill groundbreaking hybrid supercar.
                  But it is still an evolution of their range topping car which was the Carerra GT, so I can see it having a similar look and we all know Porsche styling does not generally make massive bold jumps. The next Enzo or F70 is also going to be a hybrid so I think this where super/hyper cars are going. I am really interested in that top exit exhaust and how it sounds!
                  Blair
                  Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Confirmation that this car will be offered in Martini Livery, so awesome!!!

Blair

Comment

God Damn thats a nice lookin car!
                      Patryk
                      Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
                      08 VW .:R32
                      04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Love it. Front looks a lot like a 360 though.....

Derek

-2008 Avus Silver RS4-Fat ass II
                        -1996 C4S-Fat Ass
                        -2007 FJ Cruiser-6 speed

Comment

^ It does a bit haha. I love this car, but I would love it more if it wasn't a hybrid...
                          Levi.W
                          78 BMW 635CSi - Project
                          91 Mercedes 190E 2.6 - Daily

Comment

I agree that the bumper looks very similar, but the headlights on the Porsche are MUCH cleaner. And look at those fvckin seats
                            Patryk
                            Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
                            08 VW .:R32
                            04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Leaked brochure:

http://jalopnik.com/5944631/leaked-b...rid-918-spyder
                              Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X