Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those that complained about 991 GT3 & Turbo and no Manual Option.....watch this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those that complained about 991 GT3 & Turbo and no Manual Option.....watch this

Finally some journalists are actually getting hands on the cars and reviews are starting to come in.

I think he covers the issue perfectly.
    Team Highschool
    Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Re: For those that complained about 991 GT3 & Turbo and no Manual Option.....watch th

I like it. Everything needs to evolve.
    Current Fleet
    #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
    2001 Cobra #88/3786
    1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
    2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
    2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Re: For those that complained about 991 GT3 & Turbo and no Manual Option.....watch th

Yeah Mr. Harris basically opined what we all said in the thread that got locked.

Looks awesome to drive though. Just wish that it had the option to manually swap cogs. You know, to feed my fantasies.

On another note.

This is an ideal car to turbo and go hunting Alpha12 GTRs.
      Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
      Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
      Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

I understand the gripes about the transmission but the PDK seems to take this car from a less practical machine to an epic daily option with the ability to track and enjoy the country roads thoroughly, and for the record those wheels are just stunning!
        Last edited by Canadian Turbo; 06-13-2013, 07:21 AM.
        Blair
        Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

agree with you 100% blair.
          i'm sure porsche did the numbers on this, like they do with everything, and dropping the 6spd was not only going to be better in terms of production costs and reliability, but bring more people into the car itself.
          Team Highschool

Comment

I agree with him thinking 3 to 4 PDK 991GT3 buyer, for every 1 manual 991GT3 buyer & thus the financial reasoning absolutely makes sense for Porsche.

It'd be cool if they released a manual GT3 version in the years to come, as from what I recall the 991 chassis has life of 20 years.
            Cam

2004 VW R32 Turbo

Comment

I want to change my own gears; I don't give two sh1ts about absolute max efficiency or blah blah.

But f0ck me that car shifts fast. It is actually almost laughable how fast. Not even a decent DSG fart un upshifts it's so fast..
              John
              1986 Meteor Grey Metallic Squashed VW Beetle
              2011 Mineral Grey Durango R/T AWD

Comment

Originally posted by cam_wmh View Post
                I agree with him thinking 3 to 4 PDK 991GT3 buyer, for every 1 manual 991GT3 buyer & thus the financial reasoning absolutely makes sense for Porsche.

It'd be cool if they released a manual GT3 version in the years to come, as from what I recall the 991 chassis has life of 20 years.
                i dont know where you got 20 years from.

996 GT3 Mk1 - 1999 to 2001
                996 GT3 RS - 2003 to 2004
                996 GT3 MK2 - 2003 to 2005
                997 GT3 Mk1 - 2006 to 2009
                997 GT3 Mk2 - 2009 to 2011
                991 GT3 MK1 - 2013 release

The 996 ran for 6 years, the 997 ran for 5 years, I see absolutely no reason why all of a sudden the 991 would jump to 20 years, nor would i want a car to last that long as the styling and everything would be completely outdated.
                Team Highschool

Comment

I think he probably meant the platform, not the 991 designation!
                  Derek

-2008 Avus Silver RS4-Fat ass II
                  -1996 C4S-Fat Ass
                  -2007 FJ Cruiser-6 speed

Comment

Just curious why did the number go down..... But hey, when the Non skyline GTR came out it didn't have a manual people kinda complained about too but eventually everybody loves the car now. I think it just takes time for Porsche owners to get used to it.
                    Current Fleet
                    #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                    2001 Cobra #88/3786
                    1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                    2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                    2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by RONDAL View Post
                      i dont know where you got 20 years from.

996 GT3 Mk1 - 1999 to 2001
                      996 GT3 RS - 2003 to 2004
                      996 GT3 MK2 - 2003 to 2005
                      997 GT3 Mk1 - 2006 to 2009
                      997 GT3 Mk2 - 2009 to 2011
                      991 GT3 MK1 - 2013 release

The 996 ran for 6 years, the 997 ran for 5 years, I see absolutely no reason why all of a sudden the 991 would jump to 20 years, nor would i want a car to last that long as the styling and everything would be completely outdated.
                      LOL. You need a midol.

I knew it was a long time. Not 20, but 14.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/27/p...ed-turbo-engi/
                      Cam

2004 VW R32 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by cam_wmh View Post
                        LOL. You need a midol.

I knew it was a long time. Not 20, but 14.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/27/p...ed-turbo-engi/

i'll pass on the midol but take a scotch if you're offering.
                        first, they mention nothing of the 991 being around for 20 years (or even 14) as your original post alluded.
                        second, the article itself is vague, aside from saying they believe there is at least 2 more generations of the 911 going to be out....

it still doesn't make any sense though to say the 911 will be done in 14 years....the 911 has been around since the early 1960's with the first "porsche 911", it then went to the 964 varient of the 911, then to the 993, and into the watercooled 996, 997, and now 991.

Is car trying to say porsche will kill the 911 at some point? maybe.
                        there has been hints that the cayman is the better platform from an engineering and performance perspective, but rumors are that porsche would never allow the cayman to have equal or superior power to the rear engined 911 little boys dream car that is the flagship of their lineup today.

i guess time will only tell
                        Team Highschool

Comment

My god the noises that thing makes.
                          Justin
                          MkVI CW GTI 4-Door 6MT | APR Stage 2 | APR RSC Exhaust | VWR Intake |H&R Street Performance

Comment

I think this car is amazing, no matter what tranny they stick in it. My thoughts have more to do with the engine. The Turbos till the 997.2, and GT2 and GT3s always used the mezger engine. This is full on serviceable race engine with factory forged internals. The GT cars from Porsche have always been race inspired. The engine in the new turbo and GT3 has never been raced, why? The general feeling in the Porsche community is lack of quality due to cost cutting. Look at the base 996 911s and 997.1, the ims failures have killed resale and countless cars have lost their engines and resale value because of a cheaper to manufacture engine. Not the case with the proven mezger engine, I'm not saying by any means that this new engine will fail, but there is a lot of concern about the unproven engine and why Porsche won't race it. Time will tell, but bottom line is its all about margin, even the 7 speed manual in the carerra is a modified pdk and not a real manual in traditional design as this was the cheaper option.
                            Current: Golf R and a corporate lease nobody cares about

Comment

great video

Comment

Working...
                              X