2016 Porsche Camp4 Winter Driving Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Porsche Camp4 Winter Driving Experience

Just got back from the 2016 Porsche Camp4 Driving Experience at the Mécaglisse facility north of Montreal. I was fortunate enough to participate in the media day amongst a number of automotive journalists from across North America for a fun-filled day pushing Porsches to their limits on snow and ice.

The entire program was so well done from beginning to end. We had amazing accommodations at the gorgeous Estéral resort and received exceptional instruction from some of the best Porsche driver instructors and factory racers.

Even more amazing was just how far you can push these cars to the limit on low traction surfaces (although the studded Nokia Hakkapeliitta tires helped) - the cars handled maneuvers that would be challenging on even dry surfaces with absolute composure and aplomb.

Having owned a 911 in the past (996 C4S), and driven it year round, I was already aware at how capable these cars are in inclement weather, but the latest iterations of the model line up are just SO good that I have a new found appreciation for how well these cars perform in any number of situations or road conditions.

I also never thought I’d say this, but I think that the current Cayman is perhaps the best car in the Porsche line up in terms of overall performance and value. The balance it has with its mid-engine configuration makes it such a joy to drive. Even thought it’s 90 bhp down compared with the more powerful Carrera 4 GTS (340bhp vs. 430bhp), the Cayman felt so potent and its performance was so much more accessible and dialled in. And at approximately $50K less than the Carrera 4 GTS, it makes it that much more compelling.

The day began with some induced oversteer exercises in the Caymans, followed by perfecting the Scandinavian flick in the Carrera 4 GTS and then on to mastering oversteer on the ice skidpad in the 2-wheel drive Carrera GTS.

In the afternoon, they strung all threes exercise together in an extended exercise across the entire Mécaglisse facility. Beginning with the Cayman, then the Carrera 4 GTS, and lastly the Carrera GTS, you got to apply all the lessons from the day in a 3.5 minute lap through the entire circuit.

At the end of the day, we were taken out for hot laps with the instructors at the wheel which proved two things: 1) that we came nowhere near to testing the cars’ true capabilities and 2) that no matter how fast / talented you think you are, Porsche driving instructors are in a completely different driving dimension. It’s like comparing a fin-less goldfish trying to swim to a shark that’s just done a line of cocaine pursuing a fresh kill. It was fast, violent, and unrelenting.

I’m not exaggerating when I say that the instructors were going through the same course TEN TIMES the pace / speed at which we were going on our own fastest laps. Guaranteed that at least a few passengers crapped their pants.

And now, on to the pics!

The line-up of cars for the day: Cayman GTS, Carrera GTS, and Carrera 4 GTS

First up - Cayman GTS for some induced oversteer exercises…

Next up… Carrera 4 GTS (love the Lava Orange)

One of our instructors (and all-around awesome dude), Keith.

Inevitably, one of the journalists wound up in a snow bank. Cayenne to the rescue!

The driver blushing a shade of Lava Orange…

Next up - the 2-wheel drive Carrera GTS for some oversteer exercises!

Studly…

Bottom line: everyone should go out and buy a Porsche immediately.
    2008 Audi RS4
    2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Re: 2016 Porsche Camp4 Winter Driving Experience

No kidding, I'm jealous! I've only read about this "Camp for adults". Glad you enjoyed it....do you think your personal al driving skills were improved in the short time, or would you need another day or two....
    Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
    Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Great read Chris. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like an awesome experience. The wife and I would totally kill to go on this!

Bottom line: everyone should go out and buy a Porsche immediately.
      I'm working on it! Problem is, I'm still a few stock tips shy of my goal.

Will have to get together one of these days to hear your Cayman vs 911 review in person. The decision between a brand new Cayman or a used 911 is a thought process I go through daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Rob
      Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
      Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

Originally posted by Geobmx4life View Post
        No kidding, I'm jealous! I've only read about this "Camp for adults". Glad you enjoyed it....do you think your personal al driving skills were improved in the short time, or would you need another day or two....
        Maybe improved a little bit, but as it was a condensed format there wasn't much time to focus on honing all that we learned. You'd definitely benefit from having the extra days.

Originally posted by Deuce View Post
        Will have to get together one of these days to hear your Cayman vs 911 review in person. The decision between a brand new Cayman or a used 911 is a thought process I go through daily.
        You bet, man! I was seriously impressed with the Cayman. It was just so balanced and it felt just as solid and tight as the 911. The interior is amazing too - on par with the 911's. I think they are the best value in the entire range by far.

My one criticism (and it's purely subjective) is that I always thought the from the rear, Caymans' looked a bit "meh" - If they were a little wider and squat at the back I think they'd look so much better. But driving experience is awesome. Engine makes all the right noises, exhaust crackles and pops on the overrun, and performance felt pretty close to that of the 911 (at least the GTS spec that we drove).
        2008 Audi RS4
        2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

The jealousy is strong.

What if I already own two Porsches? Do I need to buy another?

Pat

His
          1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
          1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
          1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
          2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
          Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Originally posted by onceover View Post
            The jealousy is strong.
            On that though... how about a Porsche Camp4 Nurburgring in 2017?
            Rob
            Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
            Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

Working...
            X