X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panamera Wagon to come to USA

From Jalopnik:

http://jalopnik.com/porsche-will-bri...ium=socialflow

If you like to haul two important things, lumber and ass, boy is today a good day for you. That’s because Porsche has confirmed that there will, in fact, be a wagon variant of their next-gen Panamera, and that wagon variant will be sold in the US. We’ll just have to wait a little bit.

The redesigned Panamera sedan (well, really hatchback) will be coming to your local Porsche bodega early next year, according to Automotive News. The wagon, it seems, won’t be here in 2017, and Porsche North America CEO Klaus Zeller is asking us to be patient in what may be the most passive-aggressively annoyed-sounding quote I’ve heard in quite a while:

“We have to have some patience for [the wagon] to arrive in the U.S. But we are confident that this car will be well received here, despite the fact that this country doesn’t really like hatchbacks or wagons.”
    There’s been a number of test mules driving around with very upright, Kammback-like rears that certainly do suggest wagon-hood, though those are likely heavily disguised, and the production car is much more likely to resemble Porsche’s 2012 concept car, the Panamera Sport Turismo.

This is based on a show car, so the production version may be different; if I had to guess, I’d bet the production one will have a less-raked rear hatch, making the roof just a bit longer, and giving it a more secure claim on being an actual wagon, at least according to the criteria I use. I’m sure that’s very important to Porsche.

Also interesting from the Automotive News article: it seems the U.S.-market Panameras may get a bench seat at the rear, because people want to be able to cram a fifth person in the middle back there. I wonder if the Panamera Wagon will offer rear-facing jump seats? Tesla managed it, so come on, guys.

Some sort of modernized wood paneling and a roof rack would be nice, too, but I’m not being picky. I’m just excited that there’s going to be another exciting and fast wagon option available for everyone who’s longed to beat Camaros at stoplights while hauling plywood or a couple of lounging Great Danes.

Re: Panamera Wagon to come to USA

As much as I love wagons, I've never liked the Panamera...even if it would now have a wagon version. What I'm hoping this does though, is push other car makers (Audi and Mercedes) to bring in the powerful versions of their wagons; those I love!
    Rob

2004 VW R32

Comment

Originally posted by Circuits View Post
      As much as I love wagons, I've never liked the Panamera...even if it would now have a wagon version. What I'm hoping this does though, is push other car makers (Audi and Mercedes) to bring in the powerful versions of their wagons; those I love!
      Ditto. Always found the Panamera to be disproportioned/ugly and who wouldn't love to see the RS6 Avant on our shores
      --
      Rod
      Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
      2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

yeah i understand a lot of people really dislike the current panamera and the new wagon. I personally love both.

but I'm on board with you rob, hopefully this can put some pressure on other companies to bring wagons back over.

Comment

It already looks like a wagon version...

Comment

Crazy how MB has their E63 AMG in NA, but Audi won't bring the RS6 to compete. As mentioned, let's hope that this does get the ball rolling to see more high performance avants/wagons over on this side of the pond.

Comment

I love it!! The update to the Panamera really improves it''s proportions in my opinion. The wagon will only make it that much better (my bias is showing thru). With our luck Volkswagen will feel the RS6 Avant would hurt Panamera sales and use that as an excuse not to bring it over. Audi really disappoints in that area, they used to be cutting edge in sporty wagons.

It's sad when I can say I've got one of the last of the hot Audi Wagon's that came to NA and it is now 8 years old....

Dave

1994 Audi RS2 Avant 2.2 20VT
              2000 Audi S4 Avant 2.7T *Sold*
              2002 Audi Allroad 2.7T *Sold to MIL so technically still mine*
              2004 Audi RS6 Avant 4.2TT *Waiting to turn 15 before coming out to play*
              2008 Audi S4 Avant 4.2 40V
              2011 Audi S5 Coupe 4.2 32V

Follow me on Instagram @blau_RS2

Comment

Working...
              X