No More R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No More R

If you’ve been pondering one of Volvo’s R-badged cars, think fast, as the Swedish
    automaker is euthanizing the performance-minded lineup when the 2007 model year comes to a close.

It’s no secret that the S60R and V70R models were slow sellers—according to Automotive News, Volvo shifted just 1098 and 538 of the two models last year, respectively. The company had hoped to shift some 3800, itself a modest target.

Volvo’s CEO Fredrik Arp is quick to point out that the letter-drop from the automaker’s catalog doesn’t mean that the company is abandoning performance, citing the V-8 S80 sedan and forthcoming C30 hatchback as proof.

Regardless, this is disappointing news to lovers of unlikely enthusiast machinery, as these most recent models were arguably better suited for spawning true performance variants than the S60/V70 platform ever was.

Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Re: No More R

Terrible news but not all that surprising, they were expensive to buy new and had a horrible resale value. That and the fact that I don't think Volvo will EVER be considered "performance minded" try as they might.

I wouldn't mind getting a V70R lease back when it comes time to sell the V50 (if we do sell that is).

I think they should keep the R badge around but move it around the product line a bit.

I still freaking love our Volvo though, don't regret the purchase one bit. I just do not get bored of the power or the handling, and the dynaudio system is wick-ed
    Jay

Comment

IMO this is a mistake, just takes their stigma of being "boring" which they should be trying to fix, and makes it worse.
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
        IMO this is a mistake, just takes their stigma of being "boring" which they should be trying to fix, and makes it worse.
        I agree 1 million %

I didn't even really want to go look at a volvo at first. I liked the look of the s40/v50 but thought it would be suck to drive.
        Jay

Comment

Lame.

What do you think a lease-back V70R would go for?
          2008 Audi RS4
          2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            Lame.

What do you think a lease-back V70R would go for?

35 to 45
            Jay

Comment

finally....the Rs sucked. Volvo definately had their head up their ass when deciding on how to go about making them. Hopefully they will try something outside the box now, maybe have some performance and true awd.

Here's hoping the C30 sells alright and they put something fun into it.
              06 Subaru STi
              Volvo tech

Comment

Saw my first C30 on the road last night, was all black, looked better than the one at the car show!
                Blair
                Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by edicius View Post
                  finally....the Rs sucked. Volvo definately had their head up their ass when deciding on how to go about making them. Hopefully they will try something outside the box now, maybe have some performance and true awd.

Here's hoping the C30 sells alright and they put something fun into it.
                  Well i'll agree and disagree. The S60/V70R kind of sucked, but I don't think the concept sucked. Extra power, selectable AWD settings, much upgraded interior etc. I think every company needs a sport line.
                  Jay

Comment

Try out the S80....its as quick as the R, handles as well as the R, and has a buttload of cool features
                    06 Subaru STi
                    Volvo tech

Comment

Best volvo I ever read about was the Evolve tuned S40 from 2005 I think.

If they had made the R packages more like that, I think people would take notice, IIRC it was a 425hp turbo S40 with race suspension, a car like that competes on a whole other level and if I could drive that at a volvo dealership it would be my first stop when shopping for cars to rival the (r)S4 or M3
                      Last edited by Kor; 04-10-2007, 05:25 PM.
                      KR
                      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

****THREAD NECROMANCY*****

I'm disappointed they killed the R's...and now parent company Ford is resurrecting the R line as....a Fusion???

3.5L turbocharged direct-injected V6, haldex AWD...Motor trend indicates it will have a 6-speed paddle shift transmission...

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a..._gt/index.html

Comment

Working...
                        X