Local shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local shop

I just picked up a 1998 Volvo S70 on Friday. Car is in great shape but does need a transmission flush and oil change. Two square auto is sort of close to my house so I was thinking about dropping it off there.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good shop in town?
    2001.5 Audi S4

Originally posted by James
    My engine may be a solid 4 liters smaller than yours, but i have a HUGE penis

Re: Local shop

Why not try Paul at Bert & Jacks?
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Talked with Two square auto... they quoted $400 for the flush, they told me they run through about 12L of cleaning and then put in above average transmission fluid. Not sure really what all that means.
      2001.5 Audi S4

Comment

Two Square does a good job -- but they aren't cheap. They also cannot do much beyond maintenance and minor repairs as they don't have Volvo's VIDA System at this point. Bert and Jack's is an option but they seem to be run in a haphazard fashion from my 2 experiences with them.

Comment

Bert & Jacks said $175... well now I am confused
          2001.5 Audi S4

Comment

I'd go with Bert and Jacks' -- you're gonna need the left over money to keep that old Volvo running

Comment

Haha that’s what I have been told. This car has been kept in immaculate condition inside and out. I have a full list of service records dating back to the original sale of the vehicle and 2 months ago the breaks were done along with the time belt and a few other tune ups. I spent almost 2 weeks looking at everything from Cobalt’s, VW’s, BMW’s G5’s and Volvos, this car fell in my lap and I could not pass it up. The car only has 130,000KM on it and is loaded with more or less all the options, the interior looks brand new. You can never really tell how a used vehicle is going to hold up but I hope it turns out well! Could not be any worse then my 1997 VR6... if it is don’t tell me... haha
              2001.5 Audi S4

Comment

I thought the ECU's fryed on the 98/99 Volvos, which is why people try to stay away from them? Someone with more volvo knowledge may know better.

I think they are 1500 - 2000 for a new one though.

Should have just bought an Echo heh.
                Jay

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much. Those Volvos are fairly reliable - especially if you learn to do maintenance and small repairs yourself. Better than any American car of the time and certainly on par with the Germans and more than likely better reliability than VW from the 90's.

Which engine? Colors? Any pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Tuna View Post
                    I thought the ECU's fryed on the 98/99 Volvos, which is why people try to stay away from them? Someone with more volvo knowledge may know better.

I did a bunch of reading on them and never came across anything regarding this. From what I can tell it is a good car in great shape and considering it came with power options, heated seats, AC and complete sets of winter and summer rims with tiers.

I will post some pictures up tonight. It is the 2.3L engine, 130000KM, I think the color is Coral Red Metallic but not 100% sure (will have to look it up). Not my dream car but a lot better then a 1991 Jetta that burned oil!
                    2001.5 Audi S4

Comment

Originally posted by Tuna View Post

I've heard that too but I think they are more in the $500-700 range for the ECU -- that being said I'd hedge my bets that at this cars age, the ECU has been replaced already with an updated one or the original one is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Pshrynk View Post
                        I've heard that too but I think they are more in the $500-700 range for the ECU -- that being said I'd hedge my bets that at this cars age, the ECU has been replaced already with an updated one or the original one is fine.
                        That's not bad then, I thought they were a fair bit more. I was probably hanging out on calgaryvolvoclub too much and got my facts mixed up.

Those aren't bad looking cars.
                        Jay

Comment

I will post some pictures in about 15mins. Considering the condition and the price it is a great car!
                          2001.5 Audi S4

Comment

Changing oil and doing a transmission flush are easy DIYs. IPD sells the flush kit hose. You simply attach the hose and cycle the car while adding new transmission fluid. I have done this before on a 240 and it works great. Here is the link:

http://www.ipdusa.com/version.asp?st...=374&V_ID=2042

IPD has a PDF document with the installation instructions in case you want to see how difficult this is.

They also carry the oil filter cap wrench.

http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-S70V70-1...-128-730-2533/

Cheapest place for Volvo parts is FCP Groton.

Locally (Calgary) your best bet is Paul as he knows a ton about Volvos.

Best of luck.

David

Comment

After reading the PDF I do feel as if I could do it myself. Next time around I will give it a try.
                              2001.5 Audi S4

Comment

Working...
                              X