2004-2007 v70r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004-2007 v70r

I've got a buddy looking to buy an 04-07 V70R.

He's just kinda curious as to anybody's ownership experience, as well as any issues or problems that he should be aware of.

I've already directed him to the V70R.com forum, as well as the V70R Sweedespeed.com forum, but any additional input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Seth

Re: 2004-2007 v70r

I was looking at both S60 and V70 R's before I bought my B5 S4. 2004-2005 models had a number of bugs that were worked out in the 2006, so that and newer are preferred years. The wagons are VERY popular, more so it seems than the S4 Avant. If he's set on a V, then he will likely be paying top dollar, I observed what developed into a number of bid wars when I lurked swedespeed.
    FWIW, I bought the S4 because I like to work on the car myself. The R Volvos are a beautiful car to drive, but it seemed that even the simplest mods or repairs required shop time. If I ever get bored with my S4 (hahaha...yeah right!) I would probably look at the R's again, 2006 or newer. Tell your buddy good luck with his search, tell him to try searching Cars.com as there seems to be a lot of R's down in Texas/Florida (yes, I still look...).
    "You know, I never noticed how many Silver Audis there were out there until you bought one..."
    My Dear Wife - April, 2010

Comment

I've had 2 in the shop last week nice cars.
      Clutch job was one and i'll never complain about doing turbos on an Audi again.
      The other one 2 02 sensors and fuel pump.
      About a 1500-2000 dollars a year for upkeep.
      But wow what a nice car.

Comment

Right on guys, thanks very much for the input!

Glad to hear of what years to look for as well. I kind of figured that maintenance would be expensive, and it's nice to have an actual $ amt!

Any other experience's/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

I've had an S60R for a few years now. With various tuning it's at about 340-350 Horsepowers and the same Torques.

These cars have quite complex systems though, 300 hp out of an inline 5, 2.5 litre, active AWD, traction/yaw control & a 3 way electronic adjustable suspension, big Brembos, etc So an extended warranty is certainly a bonus if you're going to buy one.

Also the very fact that Jeremy Clarkson dislikes it -- makes me like mine even more -- LOL

They do like the V70R saloon though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gStrGOpNkmQ

Last edited by Pshrynk; 08-04-2010, 09:03 PM.

Comment

I think Martin From Sensolutions still has his. I drove in it a couple years ago and it was a beautiful car.
            Name: Brent
            His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
            Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
            Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Pshrynk View Post
              Also the very fact that Jeremy Clarkson dislikes it -- makes me like mine even more -- LOL

They do like the V70R saloon though.
              Great clip, had not seen it... Love Jeremy's last line "So what I would do, buy an Audi S4..."
              "You know, I never noticed how many Silver Audis there were out there until you bought one..."
              My Dear Wife - April, 2010

Comment

its funny that everytime people are looking at buying a nice performance 4door sedan they end up with an s4 in my experience, I was also looking into getting a 2006 s60r, and would still love one! but i ended up with the "S"

A guy has a nice s60r at my work and its a gorgeous car!
                Kevin

2000 s4, Custom vast stg2+, piggie pipes, ssac catback, evoms intake, 710n's, eibach sportline springs, RS4 Reps, VDO boost guage

Comment

Originally posted by fazda View Post
                  its funny that everytime people are looking at buying a nice performance 4door sedan they end up with an s4 in my experience, I was also looking into getting a 2006 s60r, and would still love one! but i ended up with the "S"

A guy has a nice s60r at my work and its a gorgeous car!
                  I don't think all that many people who are looking to buy a performance 4 door sedan buy a NEW s4. Compared to the many other sports sedans out there (BMW, Infinity) there is no contest in popularity.

I think for a while a lot of people bought the B5 or B6 sedans used... because they depreciated a lot, and are really cheap for what you get. But the reason so many were on the market was that they are getting dumped for IMO high levels of maintenance.

Personally do not like the V70 because its very large and boat-ish, styling is kind of outdated now, and Geartronic transmission sucks.
                  KR
                  Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

I like that clip too...thanks for sharing it!

And he definately has love for the four rings, but one of our close friends just bought an A5 S-Line and has had nothing but problems with it. Another one bought a 335 last year and same thing, nothing but random fitment and mechanical troubles that you wouldn't think would arise months into ownership.

His family is pretty big on Volvo's (parents own a V70 XC, and another family member bought an XC90), which explains the V70R talk. But I appreciate the input (both positive and negative) as the points brought up will definately be brought into consideration.

Cheers!

Comment

yea the one thing i've found is the fit and finish of volvos is unparalleled. Although I realize my Jetta is not even close as far as price point or even category of cars but still everytime I drive my moms xc70 then get back into my jetta it makes my jetta feel like a matel toy haha. Even in comparison to other high class euros the fit and finish is top notch. Our T5 xc70 has 70,000 problem free kms, our 89 740 wagon has 323,000 on it and has never needed much more than the timing belt replaced and regular oil changes, my 80 240 had over 250,000 on it when I pulled the engine and it barely went through any oil and still had good/even compression on all cyls. Can't say enough about the quality of volvos, I think my next car will be a 740 sedan or an S60 (or an 850R wagon if I need a hauler)

And on top of that the service you recieve at the dealer is great and none of this VAG crap where every common wear item is a "special order" item and takes forever to come in

Comment

Nice cars, I was driving to London from Brighton a few years back. I saw one of these take off from a service station in pursuit. They are very very quick.....

Current: 2002 Zonda CRV
                        2004 VW MK4 1.8T GTI
                        2001 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec (European)

Comment

Volvo cars are known to last a life time. Their specialty is their safety. I had one when I was working in Sweden from 1980 to 2008. It was my most trusted companion. During the entire period I never encountered even a single breakdown. But now I am back in Britain and I am having a Range Rover. It has always given me troubles.
                          auto dealer crm

Comment

Working...
                          X