Any of owners of the new XC90?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any of owners of the new XC90?

Had my wife's Rav4 written off over Christmas. We ended up going with a 2017 XC90R for her. I never in my life thought she would be willing to spend that kind of money on a vehicle. Plus she was the one who chose the R-design!

Re: Any of owners of the new XC90?

Kuji's parents have one i do believe.

Comment

I helped my boss pick one out over the holidays. Absolutely fantastic vehicle. Very comfortable and the tech is insane.

Might be the best looking SUV out right now IMO.

Did you do the Polestar tune (assuming T6)? He said he noticed quite a difference in the way it drives.

Comment

Yeah we got a 2016 T6 Inscription(late April European delivery) with Polestar tune(definitely worth it better shifting and more mid range power), 4 laps on the Nürburgring under 10min 30, oversteer on tarmac, drifts very well in the snow too. When it landed in Canada in early July, we also had every option and almost all accessories installed, along with an 8 year warranty. So far we drove it for in total 6 month ish, 19000kms on it and it was perfect on the autobahn, up and down the Rockies to vancouver, through the Calgary winters, mom loves the car. There's a lot of cars that could do everything, but not many cars can do everything as perfectly as the XC90!

Last edited by kujiwara; 01-16-2017, 12:44 PM.
        Current Fleet
        #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
        2001 Cobra #88/3786
        1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
        2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
        2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Awesome looking suv, I agree it might be the best looking. I think it's a vehicle you won't want to own off of warranty though, I can't imagine a 2.0l 4 banger making 316hp will be a very long lasting engine
          2002 Jetta TDI
          2003 Jazz Blue GTI
          1981 Rabbit Truck Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by idlandk View Post
            Awesome looking suv, I agree it might be the best looking. I think it's a vehicle you won't want to own off of warranty though, I can't imagine a 2.0l 4 banger making 316hp will be a very long lasting engine
            I'm personally not a fan of the looks, but I totally agree about not wanting to own it outside of warranty. My aunt was looking at them a year or so ago and ultimately ended up getting another XC60. The biggest complaints were the kinda bland yet kinda ugly interior (how they managed that, I'll never know), and the dependence on the touch screen. I haven't read up on them lately, but early cars had some serious software glitches that basically made the cars inoperable and the fixes took weeks if not months. It didn't take much reading on SwedeSpeed to dig up lots of similar complaints and issues, so that's ultimately what pushed her to the XC60.
            Scott
            '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
            '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

Originally posted by idlandk View Post
              Lol. Welcome to 2017... errrr... 2004? Volvo isn't the first to be doing this... and they certainly won't be the last.

Also, the interior of the Volvo is lovely. Makes a Golf look like a Chevy Cruze.
              Last edited by JVD; 01-16-2017, 10:08 PM.

Comment

My uncle has one. Picked me up from the airport last week and that interior is just WOW. It's in white as well. Just lovely.

Comment

I don't think a 320hp 2.0 especially one built by the factory will be a big deal, it has two chargers. Like if people think a golf R with a near 10 year old engine design taking a decent size single turbo and make 300hp is acceptable, I know a few homebuilt 400+hp 12v vrt and big turbo 20vt that's never had a serious issue for 10+ years, 320hp isn't that much, the new Volvo should be fine. Warranty is definitely nice to have but I think the standard warranty most of the time is just a gimmick, however I feel like after the original 4 year warranty the extra four years will be useful.
                  Current Fleet
                  2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

If it were my daily driver I would have done the Polestar but alas it's the wife. We opted not to do it for now but I can also add it later I assume.

Originally posted by JVD View Post
                    I helped my boss pick one out over the holidays. Absolutely fantastic vehicle. Very comfortable and the tech is insane.

Might be the best looking SUV out right now IMO.

Did you do the Polestar tune (assuming T6)? He said he noticed quite a difference in the way it drives.

Comment

We probably aren't going to with extended warranty but may depending on the cost. Kujiwara...do you mind telling me what the extra warranty cost on your parents? Also it looks like the same tires from summer to winter. Did you guys go with dedicated winters or were the all-seasons sufficient?

TIA

Originally posted by kujiwara View Post
                      I don't think a 320hp 2.0 especially one built by the factory will be a big deal, it has two chargers. Like if people think a golf R with a near 10 year old engine design taking a decent size single turbo and make 300hp is acceptable, I know a few homebuilt 400+hp 12v vrt and big turbo 20vt that's never had a serious issue for 10+ years, 320hp isn't that much, the new Volvo should be fine. Warranty is definitely nice to have but I think the standard warranty most of the time is just a gimmick, however I feel like after the original 4 year warranty the extra four years will be useful.

Comment

Originally posted by thorin33 View Post
                        We probably aren't going to with extended warranty but may depending on the cost. Kujiwara...do you mind telling me what the extra warranty cost on your parents? Also it looks like the same tires from summer to winter. Did you guys go with dedicated winters or were the all-seasons sufficient?

TIA
                        Those appear to be different rims and tires from summer to winter. You can tell by how the snow sticks to the tread as well as the fact that the winter wheels spokes are flat and don't have the extra ridges along the radii.

With an expensive vehicle like this and Kuji's affliction for cars, i'd put my money on that he did the right thing and has dedicated winter tires.

Comment

It's got winters, purchased as a winter wheel and tire set from Valentine Volvo for $2800, its the 19inch momentum wheels with hakkapelita r2 SUV tires they grip reallly well, there's an 18inch option but that just looks a bit too small and I think the price difference was $300. The warranty was $3700ish for 8 year 200000km.

More on the all season tire thing, you obviously won't be able to get the full potential of the car in winter since those four tires are the only thing contacting the road, doesn't matter how good the esc is it'll never beat proper winter tires. And let's say some random kid jumps into the street and you have to avoid him, on all seasons you might've been driven okay without emergency situations because you slow down early for stuff, but in this case it's too sudden, you're going 60 and the kid is 15m in front of you on packed snow, the tires not have enough grip to avoid the kid, the car will either destroy the kid in like a Swedish brick thrown at mice, or oversteer into the curb, but either events the cost could easily exceed the price of a set of good tires.

If you really want to convince yourself to get winter tires, find a friend with a normal car with winters and the XC90 with all seasons, floor the brakes relying on the abs from 50kmh in an empty packed snow/slush covered parking lot and you'll be shocked how much longer the all season takes to stop.

And yeah you can get the tune whenever you want, look for the guy that sold you the car, we needed up getting 15-20% off for all the accessories we purchased and installed at the dealer including winters.
                          Last edited by kujiwara; 01-17-2017, 11:35 AM.
                          Current Fleet
                          2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll probably end up getting winters for the car. Just wanted a second opinion. When I tried to negotiate on the price they wouldn't budge. I'll try and see on the accessories though. Thanks for the suggestion. Did you end up getting the 3M there or somewhere else? We are foregoing the paint and leather protection however.

Comment

Originally posted by thorin33 View Post
                              Thanks for the comments guys. I'll probably end up getting winters for the car. Just wanted a second opinion. When I tried to negotiate on the price they wouldn't budge. I'll try and see on the accessories though. Thanks for the suggestion. Did you end up getting the 3M there or somewhere else? We are foregoing the paint and leather protection however.
                              I got 3m there full front protection for $1000ish, leather we just clean when it gets dirty and will cream it every year
                              Current Fleet
                              2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Working...
                              X