Crappy Tire Mechanics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crappy Tire Mechanics

i just bought an mk3 jetta that had had all the breaks done at cdn. tire a few days before i got it. Got to work this morning to grinding from the front right wheel. Looked through the wheel and saw the backing plate/squeeler was out of place and rubbing on the rotor and center of the wheel. Looked minor, so i drove home. Had to make a quick stop on deerfoot on my way, and had a sharp pull to the left... odd, but i'm on deerfoot, so i keep going. Get home, pull off the wheel, and holy sh1t, I'm able to remove my calliper with my fingers. The bolts had been started and not tightened!! Anyways, it was done on the other end of town and the 130th street location, and it was too much trouble to loose the car for a day due to someone else's negligence. Since the 14 year old on the phone didnt seem to care, i just fixed it myself, and went through the rest of their work while i was at it. I don't think i would have trusted them with the car again even if they had made it convenient. Anyways, what a pain in the arse... I don't think it's really even worth complaining about. At best, I'd get a few free oil changes, which i would't want them to do anyways. booourns.
    Last edited by stefan; 05-17-2007, 10:45 AM.
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Re: Crappy Tire Mechanics

listen:
    You cannot blame Canadian Tire.
    they are a business and cannot monitor the level of their techs.look at the job situation in this province.

i just repaired a car from a dealership that installed a new starter and all the problem was,a rusted out wire to the solenoid.

when you look at jobs,{laugh if you want.}
    you can tell by the repair if the tech was stressed out or just an idiot.

when you pay 100.00 dollars plus, for a repair.you have the rite to ask
    what was done and is it fixed.why do you think all the good techs are leaving.
    pure fustration and they don't want their names dragged thru the mudd.
    good on you George.....live long and prosper.

am i bitter??? not really but i shoud've fired at least 75% of the useless staff that i had.God Bless Alberta.

Comment

ok ok, lets start over... this did suck. I'm off to BC this weekend. I'm next to 100% sure this calliper would have fallen off after 6 hours of driving if I hadn't noticed, and certainly wouldn't have taken a fast stop from 110km/h if it had had to, and I can almost guarantee that on our highways on may long weekend, it would have to. This in my opinion is more serious then a starter issue (although no different in terms of booking in again i suppose). Granted guys get pissed off and miss things. I have had lots of inexperienced staff at my office to, and put in overtime to make up for what they are unable to do, and make sure they understand what they are doing. I also check everything that goes out the door that is associated with myself. Sure I'm busy, but loosing a client is a big deal, as is my reputation. Loosing a client when you have a whack doesn't matter so much anymore i suppose.
      When VW returned my car and something was still wrong, I was back on the road with a loaner, and all things said, the guys at NLVW were very good about it. I knew before I called that cdn. tire cant offer anything other doing it over again, but was still upset that they couldn't just look at the remainder of the bolts quick. They said that their shop was open until 8:00, but by 7:15, they had no techs left.
      I think I usually give credit where credit is due, and therefore should be able to complain when no credit is deserved. Now this would have been an individual, not the shop as a whole. This doesn't waive any responsibility on behalf of the shop, but yeah.. i'm sure they are capable of good work. I personally will not bother to find out.
      Now, what should I do? Leave it, because I am confident I have fixed and checked the work, and it won't bother me again? Or try to contact the shop manager and let him know someone messed up? Will the manager care? Am I dragging a name through the mud by doing this? or am I maybe preventing a future accident?
      Last edited by stefan; 05-17-2007, 09:05 AM.
      Stefan
      -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
      -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

ok, i called the service manager, Dale. Good guy. Seemed genuinely concerned, and even offered to order me a new backing plate for the pad, since the last one was destroyed. This is good. I tried to get this done last night, but they wouldn't do it without booking the car in first. The issue was discussed with the tech's, so with any luck, it wont happen again. I'm still going to stick with shops I know in the future though...

**the tech (who's name need not go through any dragging) actually called the previous owner as well, i just found out. So good for him. I think the trick is to try to bypass the receptionist guy next time round.
        Last edited by stefan; 05-17-2007, 10:53 AM.
        Stefan
        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

When it comes to cars where safety is a major concern there should be no such thing as being able to tell if tech was stressed out or an idiot, a problem like that could have killed someone. Businesses are going to have to start to learn that the labor problem is not a valid excuse and is going to hurt them badly in the long run.
          So Stefan which car go you get and which does the wife get?
          Name: Brent
          His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
          Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Meh I never went back after my 77 Impala came back from having tires changed with one wheel completely loose (the lugs were not even hand tight). Almost sheared the studs off. I'm amazed they are still licenced.
            Geoff
            Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

was it the L/F tire???
              in 19 years at the Dealership it happened about 3-4 times a year and it was
              always the left front.

VW & PORSCHE combined.
              it's funny because it's true.
              that is untill you talk to the customer.
              Last edited by VWSM; 05-18-2007, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by VWSM View Post
                i shoud've fired at least 75% of the useless staff that i had.
                Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
                You dig sucka?!

Comment

The mechanic shops here in Calgary are brutal. Can't say that all of them are, but I can say with the confidence the vw Dealership at McLeaod is. I had some problem with the windshield washer fluids.....mo make it short, after entire day they finally fixed the problem. The worst part was when they returned the car to me, the entire hood was covered in antifreez and inside was just mess. I came from Ontario and there they would at least, after the work is done, wash and vaccum the car. I mean, the charge per hour is same anywhere in Canada for dealerships, but the service . I don't even want to start on some of those smaller shops..
                  Hondas are like tampons, every pussy needs one!

Comment

I love your signature! Hondas are like tampons... Funny shiz..
                    Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
                    You dig sucka?!

Comment

thanks bro
                      Hondas are like tampons, every pussy needs one!

Comment

Working...
                      X