Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stretttttcchhhhh

=>

That looks like rubbish, never mind that sacrificing safety and longevity for bad taste is even more questionable.
    Strikes me as just another stupid fad. I can't think of any positives (in regards to grip and control) to using a stretched tire. I know this argument has taken place a thousand times before, so I'll just end with saying that "Eruo" or not, stretched tires are on par with anything the Euro crowd would call out as being _ricer_ on for the Honda/Toyota/Nissan crowd.
    yea i had streched tires on my one-off HRE 526's. took a turn so hard the tire de-beaded from the wheel and my rare a$$ wheels met the ground. never were right again

oh and the tires were 225/40/18s on 9 inch wheels so you can imagine how much stretch i was running. never again though
    What gets me is that noone even knows how this stretched tire BS started.
    People wanted to go wider with wheels, but in Europe, the laws forbid tires poking out excessively from the wheel wells. Not wanting to mod the body of the car excessively to achieve "poke", people started putting undersized tires on wide wheels and the stretch phenomenon was born. So really, it was /is a trend born out of a legal loophole.

Although the rims hang out, the body of the car/fender covers the rubber portion keeping things "legal". Personally, I despise the look and question it's practicality and safety, but to each their own.
    To most of the non-euro crowd, stretch beyond the point where the tire can actually seat on the wheel is equivalent to putting a giant wing or an unpainted bondo'd bodykit on a Cavalier.

I don't get it. Can anyone explain?
    Last edited by Khyron; 03-08-2008, 12:34 AM.
    Geoff
    Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Re: Stretttttcchhhhh

Because it looks freaking hot

To most of the non-euro crowd, stretch beyond the point where the tire can actually seat on the wheel is equivalent to putting a giant wing or an unpainted bondo'd bodykit on a Cavalier.
    But to the euro crowd we like it, thats why we do it. Same reason why Cavalier owners put that stuff on their car.
    Last edited by M50; 03-08-2008, 12:38 AM.

Comment

geoff thats amazing.. i like dereks look its pretty good not tooo extreme like some of those ones up top

Comment

Looks good, looks euro, classic, hardcore, whatever you want to call it.
        KR
        Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

OMG what is happening to this forum??!!! It's turning into Vortex2

And the quote talking about a 225 on a 9" wheel!? That wouldn't even be stretched.
          Jay

Comment

Some of those look reaaaaaaaally ugly. I like GINCH's though it's the goldilocks of stretch. Just right.

Comment

the tire in pic 4 is gonna turn out like pic 1.
              you probably don't like me because someone else said they didn't lol. <3

Comment

Well the idea of stretch is to accommodate a wider wheel but still having the tire in the fender, since it is angled as opposed to straight up and down.

As with every style people take it to extremes and some people like and some don't. You can't put the blame on Euro either, hardcore Japanese cars also run stretch and mad camber which probably gives more issues.

I think with any style of modding you have to look at how its being used, lots of the cars are for show and not being driven crazy on the streets or track. I personally like a bit of stretch helps flaunt the wheel and helps pull off some wider wheels.
                Blair
                Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

i depends on the tires really..and for good reference about 3 years ago WE all wanted stretch lol.. i had it.. everyone had it.. :P

Comment

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about moderate stretch, like 225/45 on an 8.5 or 9. There's good pros for doing it for things like tighter sidewalls and more visual emphasis on the wheels.

I mean where the actual lip of the wheel is exposed on both sides. Where the first thought of most car guys is "Holy crap the owner couldn't afford the right size tires".

To me, seeing tires that don't even make it to the lip is no different than a giant aluminum park bench wing or chrome 20s on a mk4 Jetta. It's excessive to the point of being ghetto, even if the wheels/wing/whatever are expensive. And as much as I like all of Ginch's other mods I don't see a difference between the ones I posted and the one M50 did. :(
                    Geoff
                    Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

STRECH!:P

Comment

I would just like to add, that that first tire that blew out. . . . was running really low airpressure. . . and in that case, pretty much anytire, stretched or not would have done the same thing.

Comment

Yeah people conveniantly forget to mention that. There have been Zero documented cases of any mishaps due to tire stretching!
                          Derek

-2008 Avus Silver RS4-Fat ass II
                          -1996 C4S-Fat Ass
                          -2007 FJ Cruiser-6 speed

Comment

Drifters also use stretch in order to make their sidewalls stiffer, and they drive their cars way much harder than most of us do. Its safe if you are within reasonable llimits
                            Plowing the streets of north side

Comment

Originally posted by karna View Post
                              STRECH!:P

Love it!!! Looks amazing man! We have to have a photoshot this spring!
                              Now that I know who you are and all!
                              Derek

-2008 Avus Silver RS4-Fat ass II
                              -1996 C4S-Fat Ass
                              -2007 FJ Cruiser-6 speed

Comment

Working...
                              X