Computer Peeps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Peeps

I noticed that there are quite a few computer people here. I have a question for yous.

What's the deal with the Centrino processor? I notice that they are typically slower than other processors that are available. I also notice that the laptops they are installed in have long battery lives. Are these two things related?
    Neil
    '03 Silver Jetta 1.8T - gone, but not forgotten

mods to my car

Re: Computer Peeps

intel finally cleaned up their internals and the centrino is a high power output lower wattage consumption processor. think of it sorta like the AMD XP cpus where like a 2600+ is only clocked to 2083mhz.. a 1.4Ghz centrino is equal to like a 2.6P4-M they are quick a bunch of execs here at my job have them.. i get to play on them.. they don't use up a crapload of battery and are nice and zippy..

btw any questions on computers just ask.. i'll answer any youze have

Comment

Originally posted by lsc2g
      intel finally cleaned up their internals and the centrino is a high power output lower wattage consumption processor. think of it sorta like the AMD XP cpus where like a 2600+ is only clocked to 2083mhz.. a 1.4Ghz centrino is equal to like a 2.6P4-M they are quick a bunch of execs here at my job have them.. i get to play on them.. they don't use up a crapload of battery and are nice and zippy..
      btw any questions on computers just ask.. i'll answer any youze have
      As far as I know, its not about cleaning up the internals. The Centrino is unique because it has the ability to shut down power to certain sections of the processor when they are not being used. For instance, the floating point unit used to calculate decimal operations could be shut down saving precious battery power until it is needed. At least thats what someone told me. The Centrino label on a laptop also implies built-in wireless networking capabilities - I am not sure if this is part of the architecture or if Intel simply makes it a requirement of sale. You will not find Centrino without wireless in any case. As you mentioned they are slower than conventional mobile-P4 processors. This is because of the more complicated battery saving design. Or maybe Intel is just successfully marketing slower processors in order to make more money in the long term. Nah, Intel would never do that.
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

yes thats true to kris.. is just a highly advanced mobile CPU neil.. low on battery power when you don't need it.. all notebook cpus will speedstep down when your not needing the power so it will save battery this one does it better..

Comment

Working...
        X