X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Turbo
    replied
    Re: Top Gear Sunday!

Well just got word on the next batch of tickets for taping so fingers crossed I will be going to see the show on the 17th of July, but still have to wait but I did make the reserve list this time.

Anyway it looks like we should see the first episode air on June 30th and they are tapping 6 episodes this series.

Leave a comment:

• CGY_GTI
    replied

I enjoyed the first half of the special last night. I really want that Volvo 850R! I love those things!

Leave a comment:

• flipstah
    replied

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo View Post
    I did have to look out of curiosity and within 100 miles of me there are 50 or so Audi estates under £2,000 looks like for the show they could have gotten a late 90s early 00s A4 or A6 for the requisite money, around 150,000-200,000 miles, so pretty similar to the BMW wagon Jeremy picked up.
    That would've been a logical choice but not hilarious like the V70R that Captain Slow picked out.

That Volvo made my day lol.

Leave a comment:

• Canadian Turbo
    replied

Originally posted by flipstah View Post
    Can you buy a Quattro avant for <$3k (1500quid)?

I think this may become one of my new favs next to Vietnam. The whole episode looked like Planet Earth on DVD! :O
    I did have to look out of curiosity and within 100 miles of me there are 50 or so Audi estates under £2,000 looks like for the show they could have gotten a late 90s early 00s A4 or A6 for the requisite money, around 150,000-200,000 miles, so pretty similar to the BMW wagon Jeremy picked up.

Leave a comment:

• flipstah
    replied

I enjoyed the first part of the special last night and am looking forward to next weeks conclusion. Would have been interesting to have a quattro avant in the mix!
    Can you buy a Quattro avant for <$3k (1500quid)?

I think this may become one of my new favs next to Vietnam. The whole episode looked like Planet Earth on DVD! :O

Leave a comment:

• RobG
    replied

I enjoyed the first part of the special last night and am looking forward to next weeks conclusion. Would have been interesting to have a quattro avant in the mix!
    But quality cars that truck through everything don't make for good TV.

Leave a comment:

• Canadian Turbo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 96vwVR6
    replied

the thing is tho, Prielli lied about running the Trofeo, this is the tread pattern of the Trofeo

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/ca...ro_trofeo.html

this is the tread pattern of the tire that was on the Huyura at the time of testing

http://www.imotortimes.com/articles/...rd-pirelli.htm

Leave a comment:

• Bmarc
    replied

According to the reports the tires used on the fast lap are "road legal", but should not be used in the rain. They say it is the Pirelli PZero Trofeos, which are DOT approved tires. The Trofeos are also a tire that the car is offered with, PZeros and PZero Corsa being the other 2.

I would like to see the car go back and run on the Corsa tires if that's what they are promoting on the car.

Leave a comment:

• 96vwVR6
    replied

Originally posted by Bmarc View Post
    So nothing different then the e46 M3 CSL they tested, it comes with what are basically slicks. BMW makes you sign a waiver that they are not good in the rain, or when its cold.
    the tires that come on the M3 are just a R compound tire, theyre still D.O.T. approved.
    the tires that were on the Huayra were a full race slick tire that had a tread cut into, not D.O.T. approved. even had the sizing of the Zonda R, not the sizes that Pagani's website says comes on the Huayra.

i think it would be proper of Pagani to send the car back to Top Gear and them run the lap with the stock tires that the Huayra is supposed to come with.

Leave a comment:

• Bmarc
    replied

So nothing different then the e46 M3 CSL they tested, it comes with what are basically slicks. BMW makes you sign a waiver that they are not good in the rain, or when its cold.

Leave a comment:

• Canadian Turbo
    replied

Pagani has provided additional explanations about the tire controversy during Top Gear Power Lap competition.

When asked by Jalopnik why the Huayra had no "P-Zero Corsa" branding on the tires as well as a different pattern, Pagani replied they used two types of tires for the Top Gear test track footage: the regular Corsas and the Zonda R-derived Trofeo tires.

The reason why Pagani said they only used Corsa tires in the press release was because they wanted "to push them on the media." Pagani added all Pirelli tires used for the Huayra are derived from the ones mounted on the Zonda R. Since those modified Trofeo tires are legal, Pagani did not cheat during the Top Gear test but they should have been clearer right from the beginning.

Although those custom Trofeo tires are street legal, Pagani says these shouldn't be used in heavy rain. Based on the record-breaking lap, we assume they used modified Trofeos for the Power Lap, while for anything else Corsas were mounted.

Leave a comment:

• flipstah
    replied

Sh*t just got real.

Leave a comment:

• Bmarc
    replied

Crazy, but I can see why companies would do this and hope to get away with it. Wonder if Top Gear will try to get the car back on the correct tires and lap it again.

Leave a comment:

• R_Ethug
    replied

i read that on my carbuzz ipad app yesterday too

interesting

Leave a comment:

Working...
X