Edmonton or Calgary ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Edmonton or Calgary ?

I have lived in Edmonton now intermittently for 4.5 years.

Was a student for part of it, and I like the job I have up here. But I want to be Calgary. The city is better, and the mountains are close. The one thing Edmonton has is more cultural stuff. But the only tickets I want to buy are lift tickets.

I had a big debate about the road system with some colleagues. They had the similar debate that roads are all names in Calgary. They would list off McLeod, Crowchild and so on. But Edmonton has Yellowhead, Whitemud, Whyte, Henday, Parsons and so on. I did do a pile of driving for work around the city here, and began to understand it. But I still hate the starting at 100street and 100 ave.

But it is also where/how I live. In Calgary I lived 25 blocks from 17th, short bike ride away from downtown. So I never ventured out into the boonies, rarely ever past Chinook mall in the south, and Sait in the north.

So much opinion is pretty skewed. The few times I have gone out o auburn bay or shawnessy, I found it pretty easy to find stuff, no harder/easier than here. Once you get into a planned community you lose numbers and you are fucked.

Here I live close 10 blocks from whyte and the UofA. I would much rather live in a smaller/older house for ease of commute. Than live in a flashy house in the middle of no where.

The airport here blows. I hate that thing. So far away, laid out all silly. But planes land and take off, and because no one ever is there, baggage and security is quick.

Calgary has a downtown, what Edmonton has, is a slightly more dense area, wouldn't call that a downtown. I am down there pretty frequently. But their 'downtown' does have sweet venues for shows, and some cool bars. But just too many eggs in one basket. In Calgary you have 17th, 11th, 10th and then downtown. Edmonton has Whyte and part of Jasper.
    Last edited by bonfire; 05-09-2012, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Calgary! My **** doesn't stink
      --
      Rod
      Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
      2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

I've lived in Edmonton all my life up until a year and half ago when i moved down to Calgary for work. So far i like Calgary a lot. Some things i have noticed, Jobs pay better here but housing is more. more selection of restaurants here. Roads are better by far. last time i went back to Edmonton the roads were falling apart. Gas is higher here which is annoying. Addresses in Edmonton are easier but the road system here is much better. In Edmonton there is no easy way going from south to north. Unlike Calgary which has Crowfoot and other roads. Drivers here seem to be the same to me. Weather is great here as well. Think i stick around for a long time.
        Ken

2012 VW JETTA TDI
        2000 VW JETTA 2.0 - Old ride

Comment

Originally posted by stef2.7t View Post
          I think you're biased, just like me since I spent most time back in Ontario. I'm not a big fan of Edmonton either, but I make the most of it. Saying you "have" to be in Edmonton? You don't "have" to be anywhere. Don't like something...change it...unless you have a parole officer who says otherwise. LoL. The response may be harsh, but it's true. Hope you see a silver lining somewhere.
          i hate ontario even more then edm...lol and yes i HAVE to live here i have no choice, military owns me again.
          2016 VW GTI (Stock)
          2016 VW Jetta 1.4T (Stock)
          1994 Audi UrS4 - BW S257 SX-E built engine on VEMs.
          2001 Audi S4 - K04s, J-Fonz Tuned ( Gone! Dropped valve)

Comment

Originally posted by Geobmx4life View Post
            Home is where the heart is...lol
            Home is where your stuff is.
            Name: Brent
            His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
            Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
            Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Working...
            X