2012 Racing Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 Racing Season

Well it was a rough weekend in Spokane as my dad had to head to Vancouver so i was going solo on this one got some great help from our local guys tho to help me thru the weekend.

This also means i didn'thave anyone to take pics so all you get is some video.

Friday morning practice only got about 5 laps before the practice was black flagged as Steve's battery shorted out and caught fire.

Qualifying was another rough one as after 4laps i lost all front brakes and had to put ti sideways to slow down. Even with only a few laps i managed to qualify 5th overall and ended up starting 4th as the 4th place car had gearbox issues.

First time i had enough time to remember the camera was for race 1 friday evening turn the sound down though as i forgot the wind protector again.

Had a good battle going with Wade but got separated by that yellow at the end of the video and faded back a little to save the car as they where 30min races not our usual 15-20min. Ended up finishing 3rd which wasn't bad for only having a handful of laps before the race.

I had missed a shift during the race and zinged the motor a bit so the rockers where loose in the motor so Wade helped me out and fixed it up that night.

Saturday morning qualifying at the beginning of the video i let the track record holder by so i can follow him around for a couple laps and see if i can pick some lines up. Sadly he breaks his rear suspension a couple laps in and lets me by. I get a couple good laps in before i am meatball flagged for being over the noise limit i was 103.1dB while the limit is 103dB.

Still with only another handful of laps i qualified 3rd

After qualifying things where looking good for the race once again had a good battle going with Wade until 2nd gear decided suicide was the only way out.

pulled the gear box cleaned out the 7 or so teeth and shavings that where all over the place put in another 2nd gear that was a similar ratio but as i was about to put it back in the main case bearing wasn't turning very well as it is either pitted or full of left over gear teeth. So that ended my weekend early.

Nothing like driving 9 hours both ways by myself for 1 full race and 4 half sessions.
    Last edited by RSS; 07-17-2012, 08:07 AM.
    2020 Toyota Corolla Hatch (At least its a Manual!)
    2001 Audi S4 (Trunk still smells like Ryan?)
    2001 Audi A4 - RIP
    2004 Mygale SJ04 - Racecar
    2013 Toyota Sienna - Baby Transporter
    2001.5 Audi S4 -SOLD
    1986 Reynard SF86 -SOLD
    2003 Jetta GLI - Garbage bin

Comment

Updated dates in the first post looks like we will be racing in Alberta for the rest of the season.

Edmonton City Center Aug 11-12, 25-26 and Sept 8-9
      2001 Audi A4 - RIP
      2001.5 Audi S4 -SOLD
      1986 Reynard SF86 -SOLD

Comment

Well another weekend to forget it seems.

I probably should have seen this coming with how bad my week was going leading up to this.

Wed night had to run down to Calgary to pick up car and trailer so the wife promptly loses the keys to my parents house. Get a set off my sister and install the rear suspension and load the car into the trailer.
        Trailer running lights don't work so spend the next hour in the dark under the trailer trying to trace the issue. Say **** it i will leave in the morning leave at 5:30am so i can get back to sylvan before work.

Throw car in garage call up some buddies and spend the next couple hours putting the gearbox back together and call it a night. Friday night try and assemble the rest of the car but run out of time to test the car as its getting late and i don't want to piss off the neibourghs.

Saturday morning head out at 6am to Edmonton.

Get to the track and start the car runs fine 1st and second gear seem to work.

Morning practice head out on some old tires its nice and cool out seems the shift linkage is not exactly lined up the same way it used to be all the gears are close together right up against the outer body of the car. So i precced to miss a couple shifts grab a bunch of wrong gears then go for a spin at about the 5min mark of practice. Hooked up the camera but forgot to hit record.

Played with the shifter a little and switched over to some new tires.

Qualifying started off pretty good still grabbing the occasional wrong gear but seem to be keeping pace with the other guys. Start to string together some good laps and am catching the other guys when right at the end of the video i lose my front brakes again just like Spokane almost collect the guys in front of me as we entered a hairpin. I pull off feeling good that i got some decent laps in but that doesn't matter as timing wasn't working so they group us by our finishing position so i am almost dead last.

Q1

So we bleed the brakes and move the brake bias almost fully to the rear hopefully this will get us thru a full race.

Race 1 starts off alright trying to avoid everyone that looks like they are going to run into each other. Then I can't seem to find a gear for a bit shift linkage seems out of alignment again. Figure out where all the gears are again and continue on. Start to catch up with Steve but as i am watching my Tach it is jumping around all over the place so on a new track with only a couple laps turned in i am trying to guess at my shift points. I just try and short shift a little as to not hurt the motor by over reving it. Still seem to be able to catch up with Steve as he looks like he is struggling with setup issues. Get passed for maybe a half lap or so then start to have a throttle cable issue seems to get hung up every once and a while can't blip the throttle on downshifts some times and keeps reving when i let off on the upshifts so I let Steve back around and just try and finish the race.

Race 1

Clean the ground wire on the tach and on the battery and tighten up the throttle cable plus throw on the old tires as no sense wasting new ones if the car isn't working. Get the car together too late for the pre grid so i am now starting dead last as i hustle out to catch the pack. Catch the pack and start the race get by a car or 2 and everything seems good about 2 laps in going 140ish the front right suspension collapses and i fly off straight but at least there was run off room in that corner 2 corners earlier and i would probably have a couple broken feet.

Pics of damage to come later.

Next race is a ? as parts are a little difficult to find for these things.
        Last edited by RSS; 08-13-2012, 09:28 AM.
        2001 Audi A4 - RIP
        2001.5 Audi S4 -SOLD
        1986 Reynard SF86 -SOLD

Comment

I think this is my favourite thread.
          Cam

2004 VW R32 Turbo

Comment

It would be mine too if it wasn't always about broken ****.

Pics of the damage.
            Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

2001 Audi A4 - RIP
            2001.5 Audi S4 -SOLD
            1986 Reynard SF86 -SOLD

Comment

Seems to be the Roger is a sucker for punishment thread! Hope you get it fixed up so you can get a good weekend in before the end of the season!
              Blair
              Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

when you race is it for bragging rights or for $$? Either way it looks like a hell of alot of fun. Any idea what your car would run 0-60 or 1/4 mile? Any sports/supercars it would be comparable to lap time wise?
                sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
                His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
                Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
                Past:
                B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
                B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
                2004 .:R32 BMP
                2001.5 Noggy blue s4
                2000 VW GTI 1.8T
                1997 VW Jetta VR6

Comment

We race for fun it's just club racing.

0-60 1/4mile would depend on what gearing we put in the car it's a 4 speed Hewland with these choices of gears

At race city i ran a 1:19.1 and that is while only doing around 210-215 down the front straight it's the corners where the car is fast. Also the car only weights 1000lbs so it stops in about 1/3 to 1/4 distance of a normal street car.
                  Turns 5-6 at Race city (the long sweeping right left) I took flat out accelerating to about 165-170 and in my S4 i could maybe do 100-110. Braking into turn 1 at Race city I would brake at half way past the last brake marker in the Reynard while I would start braking before the first brake marker in the S4.

Engine is a 2L ford (Pinto Block) putting down a massive 140hp ish.

Hard to compare as it would be on a track by track basis long straights super cars win everything else Race Car wins.
                  2001 Audi A4 - RIP
                  2001.5 Audi S4 -SOLD
                  1986 Reynard SF86 -SOLD

Comment

Hey bro. I just read through the thread. IDK you were from Sylvan lake like me. Dang you need to get ahold of me would love to come check that machine out. Always wanted to find out how to get into that style of racing or even learn how to drive my m3 properly on a track. would have so many questions haha. shoot me a pm if ur interested in chatting up some time

Comment

Well last weekend was the most relaxing weekend of the race season.

Part just arrived yesterday should be good for Sept 8-9 weekend
                      2001 Audi A4 - RIP
                      2001.5 Audi S4 -SOLD
                      1986 Reynard SF86 -SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Taunto View Post
                        Hey bro. I just read through the thread. IDK you were from Sylvan lake like me. Dang you need to get ahold of me would love to come check that machine out. Always wanted to find out how to get into that style of racing or even learn how to drive my m3 properly on a track. would have so many questions haha. shoot me a pm if ur interested in chatting up some time
                        Do you live on Herder?

Saw a M3 parked there this morning.
                        2001 Audi A4 - RIP
                        2001.5 Audi S4 -SOLD
                        1986 Reynard SF86 -SOLD

Comment

Well had the last Race Weekend of the year after all my parts arrived and got them installed. Couldn't find anywhere in Red Deer / Sylvan that could do an alignment on the car (Too Low) so i had to do the tape measure and string alignment the night before the race.

Car seemed to go straight and by the time i got someone to bring me our portable alignment gear and measure it the side i rebuilt was spot on and the old side was out about 0.2 Deg.

Sadly nobody showed up for this weekend as the last race weekend a couple guys broke so we had a sad 5 car field with no one in my class to race against.

My goal was just to finish all the races as i had a finish percentage of about 25% leading into this weekend.

I dropped my fast lap by 2sec to a 1:43.5 but still down a fair bit on the fastest lap turned by and FC at the Edmonton track 1:41.1 and to be honest i don't think the car or myself has that kind of time in it maybe a 1:42.0 with different gearing and a higher down force setting.

Still finished all the races won some plastic trophies and by being the only guy there collecting points i won the Alberta FC championship sadly an empty win this year with no real competition.

As the car got roughed up a fair bit this year its probably time for a full tear down and rebuild or could be close to part out depending on costs.

Next year is the usual question mark as we are going to lose the Edmoton airport track due to No Indy Race so probably no racing in Alberta and with the car being a ? we might take next season off.

No real interesting videos or pics as i was by myself at the track and on the track only eventful thing that happened is when Blair dumped 2 full laps of oil around the track i pulled off not wanting to die and Jorgen lost his front wing when he clipped a tire barrier.
                          2001 Audi A4 - RIP
                          2001.5 Audi S4 -SOLD
                          1986 Reynard SF86 -SOLD

Comment

I discovered the source of my front suspension failure

SABOTAGE!

JK!
                            This was probably the best part of the season to be honest and he really seems interested in helping. We just have to teach him that not every tool is a hammer.

Caught in the act

So current plans are to put the car up for sale so if anyone wants to come racing i have a car you can buy. (8K with spares 10K with spares and Penske triple adjustables)

We just had our end of the year banquet and news is that castrol should have the first section up and running by June ish so more likely august but they just have the top coat of pavement to do and then the barriers and infield work. They also completed 80% of phase 2 base work so one might say they are almost on schedule.
                            2001 Audi A4 - RIP
                            2001.5 Audi S4 -SOLD
                            1986 Reynard SF86 -SOLD

Comment

Hey Rss sorry for the very late reply ahhaa. Been busy with work and school. I do not live up on Render over in Pier View. Car is parked for the winter but maybe we can meet up this summer on a thrusday night for a cruise. I had no idea that kind of racing was even here in Alberta. Would be cool to watch some time. looks like alot of fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X