Strange car question (baron)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange car question (baron)

so i have not driven my baron for about 4 months. The crappy tire battery was toast. charged it.. toast. got a new one on warranty.
    I put the new battery in on the weekend and went to rip around just to get the car running.

The car will not shut off!!! you turn the key off and the gauges go to 0 but the motor stays running!! so i put it into park, ebrake pulled the key and came back out 10 minutes later and it was still running!

drove home.. had to pull the NEG off the battery to stop it.. reconnected battery and tried again and the same result!

any idea what fried? cross connected? rusted out?

i'm probalby going to put the car on kijiji for like 300 bucks soon or just donate it to a charity but i was hoping to fix it haha

Re: Strange car question (baron)

Sounds like you have a ground issue, check the battery, make sure that the ground isn't touching any metal, chassis etc.
    Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
    Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Originally posted by Geobmx4life View Post
      Sounds like you have a ground issue, check the battery, make sure that the ground isn't touching any metal, chassis etc.
      Doesn't the battery have to be connected to the chassis? Unless they did things very differently many years ago.

Maybe it is an ignition issue where it keeps part of the circuit open? Not entirely sure about how the igntion switch works but it could have seperate accessory and motor leads that could lead to one being shut off and the other not.

And honestly i would post it in the car lounge on vortex, they have some very knowledgeable people on there if you can get past the ********, and other people may have also run into similar issues
      Last edited by MechEngg; 07-31-2012, 11:27 AM.

Comment

I'd guess an ignition relay of some sort has kicked the bucket

Pat

His
        1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
        1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
        1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
        2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
        Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Bet you need one of these.....

Edit: picture wouldn't link, found you a pic of an actual the baron ignition switch haha.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/replacement.../p3040058.jcwx
          Last edited by Tuna; 07-31-2012, 07:21 PM.
          Jay

Comment

yea i'll maybe see if i can diagnose this weekend but i'll go so far and then donate the damn thing to charity

Comment

Just take out the ignition and have it so you just hotwire it every time. Only need to lock the doors, if it gets stolen, it wasn't like that before
              Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
              2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

hahaha i may colin

if i have to remove the steering wheel i'm not touching it.. it does have an airbag and will kill me for sure

Comment

Get some long clippers and stand outside the car and snip
                  Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                  2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Working...
                  X