Recommended Camera's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended Camera's

hey guys, I think Im going to look into getting a nice camera, something that is a step up from your classic phone camera. but i am completely new to picture taking. Can anyone recommend a good entry level camera that can get me started in the photo taking game? no idea what differences there are between sony,nikon and cannon. (main brands i can think of)

the majority of photos i would take would probably be of cars, and scenery/landscape. hopefully ricky and bucky chime in! i love their photos!

thanks guys!

Re: Recommended Camera's

Good question. There are alot of good experienced photographers on this site who can probably answer these questions better then I can, but I feel your in the same boat I was ago when I bought my camera a year or so ago, so here is my 2 cents:

How much do you want to spend? Do you want a point and shoot style or DSLR? For either style, I found that alot of people either choose canon or nikon. I chose the Canon T2i as I preferred the interface. What ever you choose, I recommend taking a course at mount royal or the u of c. They show you how to use the camera and it's features. After that get out and shoot. Talk with others. You will pick things up quickly.
    Mike
    '14 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    '04 Jetta Wagon 1.8T

Comment

I really like my Nikon D3000. I find it pretty easy to use and it takes really good quality pictures as long as the ISO isn't maxed out. I can't remember how much it cost, but it was fairly inexpensive compared to lots of DSLRs. I think the D3100 would be worth looking at... It's pretty much the same camera, just upgraded a bit here and there
      Scott
      '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
      '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

I prefer Nikon SLRs for a few reasons.

Old lenses will mount and work on the new bodies, the lenses are quieter and I like the ergonomics better.

Keep an eye out in camera shops and on kijiji... I see lots of quality gear that seems gently used appear from people who upgrade.
        Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
        Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
        Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

I have a Nikon d3100. I believe it's good to start out on the lower spectrum of things to learn and get a feel for them. Most people will tell you the bodies are disposable and it's all about the glass to take quality photos. Best part is when you decide to upgrade your camera, just upgrade the body and your good to go.

Comment

i picked up a Nikon d5100 this spring, love it so far, pretty simple to use. i went with the Nikon over the Canon because:
            -lots of people i know have a Nikon camera so ive played around with the lenses they have.
            -the nikon felt better in my hands over the Canon, erganomics felt good.
            -i got a smokin good deal on my Nikon.
            Current:
            2017 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion DSG
            2013 VW Jetta 2.5
            Past:
            2005 VW JTI 1.8T
            1993 VW Jetta 2.0
            1996 VW GTI VR6

1991 Ford F150 4X4
            1989 Nissan Kingcab 2WD
            1983 Buick Skylark

Comment

D3100 with an 18-55mm VR kit lens would get my vote as a good place to start. Then if you find you're using it a lot, start putting money into lenses before upgrading the body.

The 35mm 1.8 AF-S would be the first extra lens I would buy.
              B7 S4 Avant - KW/JHM/Stasis/034/FI
              B200T

Comment

The D3100 with the 18-55 VR kit is the one I picked up a couple months ago and love it. I'm fairly new to taking "real" photos as well and am really happy with my choice. The Nikon is really easy to learn to use with great results. I would definitely recommend it.
                if she's nice take her easy, if she's easy take her twice

Comment

Originally posted by S4Avant View Post
                  D3100 with an 18-55mm VR kit lens would get my vote as a good place to start. Then if you find you're using it a lot, start putting money into lenses before upgrading the body.

The 35mm 1.8 AF-S would be the first extra lens I would buy.
                  This. My D3000 came with a non-VR 18-55 lens and it's fairly good, but I wish I had the VR for when I get to the lower shutter speeds. My 55-200 is a VR lens and it's really good for distance shots. I very rarely see any blur in the photos I take with it.
                  Scott
                  '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
                  '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

All good options so far. In my personal opinion, save your pennies and get a Nikon D7000 w/18-105. so so for a kit lens. I'll come back to that. Canons are good and user interfaces are easy to manage and work through. T3I's are great and really good for the price. T4I's are nice but as any new entry level slr the intro price is high. Only real difference is the touchscreen a bit of speed in terms of frame rate. Canon lenses are good too, the current Canon lenses ALL have af (autofocus) built in and lens dependent has (IS) image stabilization. Their warranty is 1 year on the body and 1 year on every lens (regardless of price). Back to Nikon. The d5100 is great, articulating screen and great feel and speed as well as the D3100 (slightly smaller).The Nikon D3200 actually replaced the D5100 (as per nikon rep) not as you would assume replacing the D3100. The D3200 has 24mp. That's WAY to many fro a crop sensor and your low light will be garbage. In my opinion from the tests i've done, I'd still prefer the tried and true D7000. You have to be careful with old Nikon lenses and new bodies. The D5100, D7000 and up , have autofocus in the body, therefore you can have screw drive( slower) focusing with old lenses. The D3100,D3200 both rely on the focus motor in the lens ( ex Nikon x-xmm AF-S) . So ANY lens with AF-D (old manual focus) on a D3100 or D3200, you'll be subjected to ONLY manual focus. Another consideration with Nikon lenses is VR (vibration reduction) again, lens dependent. Back to the D7000, it's a great feeling camera, very fast, great in low light and weather sealed with appropriate lenses. Nikon's warranty is far better than Canon also. 2years of the bodies and 5years on the lenses. At the camera store that I work at, I'm the repair manager in charge of sending everything away to Nikon or Canon, etc. The fact of the matter is, these cameras aren't bullet proof. Some people treat them like garbage with no issues, others baby them and is total camera failure. Trust me i've seen it all. Now both companies are about the same for repair costs. They range from a minimum of $150 to camera replcement (dependant on product cost) . So in essence the Nikon will give you a little more insurance and piece of mind for an arguably superior/inferior product. Another thing that everyone is horny for is Video in slrs. Keep in mind that autofocus is to be avoided at all costs. (very noisy and jumpy). Manual focus is essential and video is a whole other world when it comes to these cameras.

Sorry for the novel I hope this helps.
                    check out www.dpreview.com and compare the models you want. Feel free to pm me or anyone else on the forum.
                    Alex Dewar
                    2013 T-Red GLI

sigpic@BuckyVW

Old
                    03 Golf CL
                    2.Slow

Comment

Originally posted by Bucky View Post
                      All good options so far. In my personal opinion, save your pennies and get a Nikon D7000 w/18-105. so so for a kit lens. I'll come back to that. Canons are good and user interfaces are easy to manage and work through. T3I's are great and really good for the price. T4I's are nice but as any new entry level slr the intro price is high. Only real difference is the touchscreen a bit of speed in terms of frame rate. Canon lenses are good too, the current Canon lenses ALL have af (autofocus) built in and lens dependent has (IS) image stabilization. Their warranty is 1 year on the body and 1 year on every lens (regardless of price). Back to Nikon. The d5100 is great, articulating screen and great feel and speed as well as the D3100 (slightly smaller).The Nikon D3200 actually replaced the D5100 (as per nikon rep) not as you would assume replacing the D3100. The D3200 has 24mp. That's WAY to many fro a crop sensor and your low light will be garbage. In my opinion from the tests i've done, I'd still prefer the tried and true D7000. You have to be careful with old Nikon lenses and new bodies. The D5100, D7000 and up , have autofocus in the body, therefore you can have screw drive( slower) focusing with old lenses. The D3100,D3200 both rely on the focus motor in the lens ( ex Nikon x-xmm AF-S) . So ANY lens with AF-D (old manual focus) on a D3100 or D3200, you'll be subjected to ONLY manual focus. Another consideration with Nikon lenses is VR (vibration reduction) again, lens dependent. Back to the D7000, it's a great feeling camera, very fast, great in low light and weather sealed with appropriate lenses. Nikon's warranty is far better than Canon also. 2years of the bodies and 5years on the lenses. At the camera store that I work at, I'm the repair manager in charge of sending everything away to Nikon or Canon, etc. The fact of the matter is, these cameras aren't bullet proof. Some people treat them like garbage with no issues, others baby them and is total camera failure. Trust me i've seen it all. Now both companies are about the same for repair costs. They range from a minimum of $150 to camera replcement (dependant on product cost) . So in essence the Nikon will give you a little more insurance and piece of mind for an arguably superior/inferior product. Another thing that everyone is horny for is Video in slrs. Keep in mind that autofocus is to be avoided at all costs. (very noisy and jumpy). Manual focus is essential and video is a whole other world when it comes to these cameras.

Sorry for the novel I hope this helps.
                      check out www.dpreview.com and compare the models you want. Feel free to pm me or anyone else on the forum.
                      I agree with Bucky. I have a d7000 with both the 18-105 and 18-300. Also a 35mm 1.8. Works great!!! I get most of my stuff from The Camera Store and every time I go in there and talk to Chris Tait it is a good experience. He knows his stuff. The reason I went with Nikon was for the warranty because I tend to be hard on stuff. I can attest to the toughness of the d7000. I shot a soccer game in the pouring rain early this summer with no ill effects.
                      2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

I personally think the D7000 is too expensive for a first time camera. Most people who buy a DSLR either don't really use it that much, or don't use it to near it's full ability.

I always recommend cheap used camera's to first time buyers. If you really get into it you don't take as big a hit on depreciation if you sell to upgrade, if it meets your needs or sits on a shelf you've saved a boatload of money. You should be able to get a D3100 + kit lens for $400 or so, vs $1300 for the D7000 + 18-105. Nothing wrong with buying a used D80 for the same $400, gives you the in camera focus motor, better controls and perfectly fine performance.

+1 for Chris Tait at The Camera Store, he's my go to guy over there.
                        B7 S4 Avant - KW/JHM/Stasis/034/FI
                        B200T

Comment

Make the jump and try mirrorless.. I'm shooting with the mex 7. Unfortunately nowhere near the amount of lens that Nikon and canon has out on the market but it's a fun little camera to use. As far as pictures go its really dependent on your skill level. I've had my good picture days and bad picture days.
                          drive green ||
                          2003 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T - ex old fun car
                          2011 Mercedes Benz B200 Turbo - daily getter

Comment

No matter what you get make it a point to take it with you whereever you go. Take lots of pictures and try out all the settings. The first week I had my camera I blew through 10gb of pictures. One photographer told me to spend at least 10-15 minutes a day with your camera even if is just to take a look at settings.
                            2012 VW Jetta GLI

Comment

thanks for all the great info everyone! I'm gonna try to do as much research as i can before i pick one up. Probably mess around with my mom's slr and see how i ilke hers. I'm always taking pictures with my iPhone, so it would be great if i could get some better pics with a real camera!

Comment

Working...
                              X