Autostadt tour? Germany must See?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autostadt tour? Germany must See?

So I am going to Europe next May to take a tour that my wife won but was thinking of flying out a little before the tour starts to check out Germany for four days. We are flying into Berlin and our tour starts in Munich. Has anyone done the Autostadt tour in Wolfsberg? How was it and would you recommend it? What else is a must see in and around Berlin or Munich as I get to see NUREMBERG as part of my tour?
    Been driving VAG for longer then allot of the members have been alive

Re: Autostadt tour? Germany must See?

The whole "romantic road" route is beautiful. Starts in around Frankfurt and makes its way down past Munich. Lots of cool little towns/cities to see. Rothenberg is one town that really stood out to me, but there are many many more along the way

Pat

His
    1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
    1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
    1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
    Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

I have been to the Autostadt and I thought it was fantastic, I was a kid in a candy store according to my wife. We stayed right on the grounds at the Ritz Carlton there and make sure you book a tour as there was only one English tour a day when I was there and plenty of people that did not speak German or English were on it so filled up quickly.

Plenty of factories to tour in Germany though!
      Blair
      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Yeah, I really enjoyed it.

Comment

Looks like I should be going again at the end of the month as I have a quick German trip planned with Essen and Wolfsburg being the highlights!!

They have a Porsche pavilion on the grounds now too!
          Last edited by Canadian Turbo; 11-07-2012, 02:22 PM.
          Blair
          Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

There are fahrist days or whatever on the ring. You can drive it in a rental. Just don't race it. Buses go on the ring. Check their website for which days.

There is the 3 countries park. Germany Holland and Belgium, near achen, it's beautiful like banff.

Factories have their own test tracks with driver days. Invite only. Find out when they are!

You won't get any special car for $$$$. I rented a 2.0 diesel which wasn't available here (2007) at the time, in an audi a3. 240kph to the ring from dusseldorf. 2-3 hours. Nuremberg has a lot of things to see, but aren't that large (2-4 cars in a garage).
            I saw a 190 evolution there in the houses near the track. Awesome. Touring car 3 series diesels in the bmw showroom. Saw the rental fleet at the local tourist destination track rental cars.

Ah heck, search YouTube there must be others who have posted. Even just hanging in the pits on a tourist day I bet you could pay someone 10-20 to get in a car. I saw a motoguzzi with Italian plates. It's a 60k bike. Guy could barely speak English. Super nice guy.

Even car dealers (bmw) have all kinds of cool old cars in the showrooms.

Oh ya, make sure you book the rental way in advance. It was 100 euros a day. Nuts. A lowly bmw 640 was 4or500 a day. And you need 2 credit cards of 6500 euro each as a damage deposit. Visa/master card are owned by the same, so it has to be diners, Amex, and a v/mc. So rent a bmw 120 or a a3 or some other contraband.

All countryside is beautiful, especially at 240, or whatever you rental will do. Do not speed near cities. Learn how to look in your mirrors and gauge how fast cars are coming at you. If you get rear ended on autobahn in fast lane in a smart car its your fault! I didn't have the a3 at that time, it was like a geo metro. Scary! North American bad habits are hard to shake. It took me a while to figure it out.

There is just so much to see. Old churches etc, etc. Sorry for the scattered post.

Gerry

Comment

Working...
            X