Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: s4 vs 335

Originally posted by R-Audi View Post
    The 335 mods are around the same price with way better bang for your buck....
    Oh I know, that wasn't my point in fact I conceeded the BMW can be made faster more easily . Simply most people think that the 4.2 can't be tuned and to be fair > 375 bhp 350 trq for $1400.00 isn't too shabby. Like I said, it's not always about the raw speed.

Last edited by JPO; 10-02-2012, 11:10 AM.
    John
    1986 Meteor Grey Metallic Squashed VW Beetle
    2011 Mineral Grey Durango R/T AWD

Comment

Originally posted by R-Audi View Post
      The 335 mods are around the same price with way better bang for your buck....
      470$ u gain 100whp
      on a stock car. and it only goes up from there with bolt ons
      Last edited by T-Dubbs; 10-02-2012, 11:24 AM.
      ~~TODD~~
      '12 x5 35d fully deleted (DUDMD Stg2)

Comment

http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/06/02/su...than-bmw-ones/
        John
        1986 Meteor Grey Metallic Squashed VW Beetle
        2011 Mineral Grey Durango R/T AWD

Comment

How are 335 for reliability?

I love my S4, but they can be money pits if you ever need to do any major repairs.
          B7 S4 Avant - KW/JHM/Stasis/034/FI
          B200T

Comment

My vote is for the 335 (E9X). I miss hydraulic steering.

I don't mind electronic steering if the car isn't that fast, but it just isn't quite right in faster cars. It's a shame that BMW has now shifted over to electronic steering :\. It's so numb and disconnected.
            MK5 .:R32 - Aston

Comment

I lurk on this forum quite a bit but thought this guy's build thread might help a bit: http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf...?topic=26163.0

Quite a bit of info on mods and costs which may also be useful. With that said, your dilemma is one I'd love to have right now!!

Comment

Originally posted by S4Avant View Post
                How are 335 for reliability?

I love my S4, but they can be money pits if you ever need to do any major repairs.
                that was going to be my next question

Current
                02 Audi S3 - Low and Slow phase II follow the build @j_gheron
                04 GLI low and slow OG
                Past
                02 Laser S4//605'd//aquamisted//EPLed
                00 Jetta 1.8T OEM+

Comment

Originally posted by gheron View Post
                  ... i've seen a bunch of tests where Xdrive has out performed quattro to the point of embarrassment, i have always thought Quattro was the best of the best but it doesnt seem that way.
                  vids or ban!
                  Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                  Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                  Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Theres a bunch if you search quattro vs xdrive on youtube. They're all ******** situations that never happen in real life, and BMW comes out on top.

edit: Heres the result when BMW doesnt rig the results

Last edited by onceover; 10-03-2012, 08:58 AM.

Pat

His
                    1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
                    1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                    1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
                    2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
                    Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Commercials are commercials and will always find a way to favor one thing over another. From all the real life experiences i've heard from people who have dealt with both of these, its always been the same comments.....Quattro > Xdrive
                      Patryk
                      Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
                      08 VW .:R32
                      04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

In reference to the quattro vs. X-drive videos. The one posted above with the Q5, it actually did fail the test. BMW took advantage of a loophole in Audi's torsen. Torsen is derived from Torque Sensing so if the vehicle is put at a steep angle with the wheels on an totally resistance free surface with low throttle imput that's what happens. BMW uses an electronic sensor that sends the power around, so when the wheels start spinning the BMW's electronics kick in and drive up the hill. Since this video came out Audi has recreated the track BMW used in the video and has now redesigned Torsen with E-assist on it just in case this exact situation were to ever happen in the real world. More to the video though if the ramp was slightly more or less inclined either way or the throttle imput went above 50% it would go up the hill. In the second video it is apparently rigged and if you look the Q5 is a B8.5 and should have the updated Torsen in it already, but Audi only started telling people about it recently. All because of Youtube.

As for the S4 - 335 decision. Tough call I can't speak for specific repair costs for BMW's. V8 S4's though can be rough on the wallet at the drop of a hat, not to say BMW's can't decimate a savings account just as fast.

As with any car get it dealer inspected and not at the dealer they service it at or the indie shop they take it to either, as they may have a friend there or the business may be helping out a good long time customer ect... Buyer beware! it's the best $169.95 you could EVER spend on a potential car you want to purchase.

I say B5 (with some extra funds to make it right) or hold out for a B8 S4 as they are awesome, I know it isn't the answer to the actual question you asked but hey it's a car forum no one actually answers the question asked, and they usually get derailed because of some you tube videos.

Erik
                        Last edited by Parts Erik; 10-03-2012, 01:51 PM. Reason: speeling n grammar
                        Service Manager
                        Audi Royal Oak

403-374-5018
                        erikk@royaloakaudi.com

Comment

Originally posted by Parts Erik View Post
                          I know it isn't the answer to the actual question you asked but hey it's a car forum no one actually answers the question asked, and they usually get derailed because of some you tube videos.
                          Erik
                          lol DING DING DING
                          Patryk
                          Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
                          08 VW .:R32
                          04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Working...
                          X