Bus accident in Vancouver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bus accident in Vancouver

My girlfriend was on the bus last when a car cut it off with a left turn, the bus driver hit the brakes but still hit the car and then slid to the right and hit two other cars in the intersection.

Thankfully no one was killed and there were only minor injuries.

But this got me thinking about how crappy it is to be on a bus when there's an accident. No seat belts, no airbags, you might be standing, there's steps, there's metal bars and sharp edges everywhere.

Why hasn't someone come up with a better design?

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bxf...k1mbjEyQ3RaZW8

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bxf...GtNcEhGQmc2ZUE

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bxf...GV1RG52UnBIdHc
    Last edited by witchcraftz; 11-06-2012, 11:48 AM.

Re: Bus accident in Vancouver

glad everyone is okay. never really thought of an accident on a bus, good point.

but only people with a google account will be able to see your links.

Comment

ouch! yea i wonder the same thing on the big long buses here and in rush when people are standing up.. brakes slam.. people are basically bowling pins

Comment

I think the idea is that a bus will just plow through whatever it hits.
        B7 S4 Avant - KW/JHM/Stasis/034/FI
        B200T

Comment

Originally posted by S4Avant View Post
          I think the idea is that a bus will just plow through whatever it hits.
          This. Larger mass means it can will push things while it slows down.

While I agree there should be some further safety precautions this is a pretty good example. This doesnt happen very often. No one got hurt.

More precautions = more money = higher fare. It all gets passed down the line.
          Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
          2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Very true, the people pay the price.
            I'm just a bit surprised about the lack of simple things, like soft stuff to hit, never really considered a bus accident before either.

Comment

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
              Very true, the people pay the price.
              I'm just a bit surprised about the lack of simple things, like soft stuff to hit, never really considered a bus accident before either.
              I know there are products and materials out there, but when I think soft things in a public place, I think festering with bacteria. Like the carpet on c-train seats.
              Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
              2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

what pisses me off is given the lack of safety devices, how aggressive and moronic most bus drivers still are. These people are supposed to be "professional" drivers, yet they barely seem to grasp the basic concepts of driving
                Team Highschool
                Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

You never hear about people on a bus being injured in an accident though...it's probably not worth throwing a bunch of money at.
                  B7 S4 Avant - KW/JHM/Stasis/034/FI
                  B200T

Comment

The other problem with "soft stuff" is vandalism. Pretty much any time there is fabric or padding on anything in a public place it gets stabbed, written on, torn up so then it looks like crap or becomes dangerous.
                    Jay

Comment

Originally posted by RONDAL View Post
                      what pisses me off is given the lack of safety devices, how aggressive and moronic most bus drivers still are. These people are supposed to be "professional" drivers, yet they barely seem to grasp the basic concepts of driving
                      I think this is the biggest problem, bus drivers are getting worse. Do they not have to go through training to drive other people around? I think they sometimes forget that it is their job and the lives of other people are in their hands.

Comment

Other motorists need to respect the buses a bit more in many cases, especially as they will generally lose out if they do not. Here buses rule the streets but you sure do not here about many accidents, there is a rule of no standing up stairs on the double deckers though, you do move around a lot more up there.

Safety on school buses might be a better issue than commuter buses but still the statistics must not be all that bad.
                        Blair
                        Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by S4Avant View Post
                          You never hear about people on a bus being injured in an accident though...it's probably not worth throwing a bunch of money at.
                          Well you just did.

I don't know what the statistics are though. I did email the Transit department of the city and ask about it, but I doubt I'll hear back.

I agree that bus drivers do seem to be driving faster every year too.

Comment

I spoke too soon, this was in my email when I got to work.

Your email has been forwarded to me for response,

All buses are inspected by ticketed Commercial Transport (CT) Mechanics that are also government certified Inspectors under the Commercial Vehicle Inspection Program(CVIP). Every bus has a decal on the front windshield to certify that it has passed the CVIP inspection that applies to all commercial vehicles in the province. In addition to the CVIP program, we have a government approved in-house inspection program. Buses are inspected every 6000 kilometers and each of these inspections includes the verification of safety sensitive components like brakes, steering, doors, etc. For most buses, this means that they are inspected every four to six weeks depending on their accumulated mileage. Our in-house inspections are also conducted by our ticketed CT Mechanics.

In addition to these regular in-house inspections each bus is pre-tripped, by a qualified operator, before going into service each day. The pre-trip inspection includes the testing of eleven safety related components required by government regulations. Any safety related issues noted during CVIP, regular in-house and pre-trip inspections are repaired before the bus is returned to service.

If a bus operator notes any concerns on the daily vehicle card after the bus has passed the pre-trip inspection, these concerns are reviewed by a CT Mechanic when the bus returns to the transit center. If the operator has a serious concern with the bus they are operating, they will park the bus and contact our communications center for instructions. The bus will then be inspected by a CT Mechanic where parked, or towed back to the transit center. Either way, the bus is kept out of service until it has been determined that it is safe to operate.

Once a bus has been involved in an accident, CMBC conducts an independent vehicle inspection. When possible, these inspections are conducted before any repairs are completed, by one of our Fleet Technical Mechanical Trainers to determine if the vehicle was in good operating condition at the time of the accident and determine if any repairs are required before the bus can be returned to service.

Translink, and CMBC, must meet the same safety requirements as any other commercial vehicle operator in the province and these vehicles are manufactured to all applicable regulations and standards for Canada and the US. I hope I have answered your questions, but if you have any further questions or require additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
                            **** ********, P.Eng.,
                            Manager, Fleet Technical Support,
                            Fleet Management,
                            Coast Mountain Bus Company,
                            Phone: ***-***-****
                            Last edited by witchcraftz; 11-08-2012, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X