Hello from Paris!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Paris!

Well, not really Paris. I returned to Germany from Paris late last night.

All I have to say is, if you ever have the opportunity to go to Paris, do it. It is by far the most amazing city I have travelled to!

Some car related stuff from my trip:

If you ever have the opportunity to rent a car in Europe, do not rent an Opel Corsa. Mine was right off the lot with < 1000 kms on it, and it was about the size of a Golf but with a 1.0L engine producing (they claim) 100hp. On the highway, if there was a mild incline I would often need to downshift into 3rd gear just to make it up, otherwise the car would slow down and stall - even with the pedal to the floor. This is not a good way to build a car! However once I was in downtown Paris it was a good car for the narrow, short streets. On the Autobahn I gradually topped out the Corsa at about 160 km/h (even though the speedometer goes up to 230).

Driving the Autobahn was a blast. Everyone drives very well, they should have similar highway laws in Canada! The road itself is incredibly well kept with some fun curves and hills. Most highways are toll roads so you need to stop and pay a toll once and a while (small price to pay for such nice roads). Occasionally I was passed by someone doing exceesive speeds. A motorcycle passed me when I was doing about 120 km/h and he was the fastest moving object I have ever seen. The guy must have been doing > 300 km/h because the sound he made was a like a bullet whizzing by. I didn't even see him come up behind me and he was gone in a blink (literally). Most of the other fast moving cars were large BMW's.

The ugliest car in Europe is the Renault Megane. They were everywhere in France.

I wish I could have rented something a little quicker, at least a 1.8T. However, Kaiserslautern locations do not rent any "sports class" cars, and anyhow the cost would be incredibly high. Renting my car was only 150 euro ($300 canadian) for 2 days, but gas was around 100 euro for 1.5 tiny tanks ($200 canadian) so my piece of crap corsa was > $500 bucks!!

Anyhow my Paris trip was probably my one and only opportunity to do any driving in Europe this year - next time I take the train.
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Re: Hello from Paris!

Well at least you got to cruise the bahn and see some other parts of europe!! Glad you are having a good time over there, have you met any nice european women??
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo
      have you met any nice european women??
      mmm unshaven armpits...
      Simon

Comment

ahah nice read. i think paris is the dirtiest city in europe, lots of garbage everywhere, probably from all the tourists. i wouldnt go there again. prague is nicer, vienna, and venice are all good. i enjoyed those cities last summer.

my dad thinks that renault looks cool when he saw it last summer, lol.

-bart
        2002 VW Golf GT TDI
        2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Cool to hear you're in Paris. Good times. When I was there I liked it from the top of the Eifel tower, but found that it was a little nasty on the ground. I much prefer London. But everyone should get to see Paris once in their lifetime at least.
          billip
          2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

Hmmmm I liked it on the ground a lot more than from the air! I hated the Eiffel tower... 3 hours in line (in the rain) and it wasn't even really that high. Once you get up there it gets dull pretty quick, and at the top I felt like they brought me up just so they could try to pitch me obviously overpriced snacks and petty trinkets.

I didn't find Paris very dirty, maybe because its not the tourist season? There was absolutely no garbage on the streets or anything like that. The city was amazing. I have been to Venice and Rome and I would take Paris any day! Also the people were some of the friendliest I have met in my travels despite the rumor that the french are rude... The women in Paris were both friendly AND hot (not so much in Germany). I haven't spoken any french since highschool but I was surprised at how well I could speak and read it after 1 day, I guess I did learn something back then. Plus the exposure to so many french words on everything sold in Canada. I am seriously considering taking a french class so I could work in Paris for a while after my MSc.

I haven't been to London, but I will definitely be hitting up the UK on my return trip through Europe in the early summer. There is a German airline that just started up, they offer flights from here to London for 10 euro - with tax included. I have no idea how they afford to run the jet engine... maybe its diesel.
            KR
            Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

ya in europeall these new small airlines are opening, offering like european cross city flights for less than $50. ummmm ok.
              2002 VW Golf GT TDI
              2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

definately check out london if you can, i lived there for a few months, and its my second favourite place in the world (behind cape town, south africa).

so much to do and so much to see. we'd go and see a new opera/show every night, it was a blast! I definately recommend you check out some andrew lloyd webbers when you're there if there are any showing.
                Simon

Comment

Prague is sweet
                  Blair
                  Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

only place in europe i want to go is barcelona.. 1 week there would be just dreamy for me

Comment

Originally posted by lsc2g
                      only place in europe i want to go is barcelona.. 1 week there would be just dreamy for me
                      catch a soccer match? that'd be my dream.
                      Simon

Comment

nope

Comment

Yea, Prague is a must see. Incredible city, and very cheap, so long as you stay off the tourist strip.
                          2012 gti, 2012 mustang.

Comment

Bah you should have come and seen me .. i think its like two hours to paris by train..
                            William

Comment

Paris ladies.... mmmmmm Kor you mack up the hizzo's for me =)
                              2008 BMW 135i | M Package | JB3 | DCI | BMW Performance Exhaust

Comment

Working...
                              X