Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Instangram

Originally posted by 100%VAGitarian View Post
    yea, this. doesn't matter if it's a free service. and it's the personal information sharing that's the big one. that's BS..
    If they lay out that they can use your photos, and you agree to give them your photos, then not much is wrong. You are no longer in possession of your photos, so you'd better look in to the arrangement you have with the person you just gave them to. At the end of the day, the terms of use may be a short novel that is easy to blow off, but everything is there, and "I Agree" was clicked. If something is truly personal and you need to have it hosted online, look in to secure fee based file share services.

Looks like Instagram is toning down their wording though, so it is not likely THAT big of a deal....
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I think everyone should read the response instagram has made after all this negative feedback that has happened. They are not intending to sell your pictures. Google it.
      Last edited by vteclol; 12-19-2012, 09:35 AM.
      Kim

Comment

this does get into the wonderful world of property rights, photographers deal with it all the time, with them taking pictures, hosting on sites like flickr etc. then them being used for commercial purposes without consent.

its been quashed numerous times, and deemed artist must give consent for specific work. Both in US and Canada
        Team Highschool
        Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Originally posted by vteclol View Post
          I think everyone should read the response instagram has made after all this negative feedback that has happened. They are not intending to sell your pictures. Google it.
          lol this

Comment

Or just read the link I posted on the last page...

Comment

Originally posted by martin13 View Post
              Or just read the link I posted on the last page...
              Also this

Comment

Originally posted by P Arkus View Post
                ...nobody is forcing you to use their FREE service. Dont want your pics being used, stop posting them up.
                ^ This.
                Rob
                Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
                Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

if you had to buy the app, thus not making it free, i would do that. sure it's a free service but what they proposed was that "after we lure you in with this free app, we will sell it to FB, then make up some rules to confiscate said photos and keep them for ourselves in this giant photo cache, to sell, that you all provided for us. btw, screw you."

has nothing to do with the cost, it's the old bait and switch. that's the problem. and most people, if they knew that, would have never started using the "free" service. remember, instagram was on it's own. facebook bought it and applied their draconian laws to it. i think that a lot of people liked IG because it wasn't FB therefore that the anger is more towards FB than the use of my hamburger photo. which looks great with the sephia filter i chose.

perhaps, like youtube, you could monetize your photos. that way, FB can still make their money but on photo's you choose, and maybe you get 1% of those sales. #hashtag #evs
                  you probably don't like me because someone else said they didn't lol. <3

Comment

First:
                    10:30 AM Taken aback by the uproar over its TOU changes, Instagram (FB) says it's reverting its ad policy back to what has been in place since the photo-sharing service launched in 2010. A clarification by Instagram about the specific ways in which it would leverage user content for ads had failed to satisfy some die-hard fans.

Second:
                    It doesn't matter if its a free app, free camera, free hosting service. (Sadly) instagram falls into the same realm as photography and therefore the same copyright rights exist with photos taken using their service as ones taken with a nikon D4.

Under Canadian law (US is different but very similiar):
                    The photographer is the owner of every photo that they have taken. Even if 2 people take an identical photograph, each photographer will own their own photograph. This includes popular tourist attractions which have their pictures taken several thousand times per day, the photographs may not be terribly unique, but each photo taken is still the property of it’s photographer. The term of the copyright is from the time the photo was taken until the remainder of the year you die, plus 50 years.

From the Canadian Copyright Act:
                    Copyright Act, 10.(2):
                    The person who:
                    (a) was the owner of the initial negative or other plate at the time when that negative or other plate was made, or
                    (b) was the owner of the initial photograph at the time when that photograph was made, where there was no negative or other plate,

Copyright Act, 6.:
                    6. The term for which copyright shall subsist shall, except as otherwise expressly provided by this Act, be the life of the author, the remainder of the calendar year in which the author dies, and a period of fifty years following the end of that calendar year.
                    Team Highschool

Comment

"The term of the copyright is from the time the photo was taken until the remainder of the year you die, plus 50 years.È

Ok, so the Instagram thing is re-worded, so maybe this is moot, but for sake of arguement..

You have rights to any photo you took unless you agree to sell or pass on those rights - I'd say it is still a good idea to know what the terms of the host you are using are. If their terms are that you uploading constitutes you giving up your photo rights, and you agree, then there is not much you can do other than plead ignorance and hope for the best. At the end of the day, that is the agreement you entered in to.
                      Stefan
                      -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                      -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

correct.
                        and under instagram's old terms of service you weren't giving up those rights. it can't be done on a wholesale basis, would need to be one off each time.

at the end of the day its moot, but FB really did see that while they are private and can do as they wish, they have to abide by the social code. Google is the same way, its why their slogan is "don't be evil". you start dicking around users of the internet, despite you offering a free service, they get pissed off, they get vocal, and ultimately they go elsewhere.
                        Team Highschool

Comment

2001.5 Audi S4

Originally posted by James
                          My engine may be a solid 4 liters smaller than yours, but i have a HUGE penis

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post

"My engine may be a solid 4 liters smaller than yours, but i have a HUGE penis"

this is still funny every time you post.
                            Stefan
                            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Hey its great to steal music and movies off the net, but when someone uses a picture of whatever you ate for lunch its a totally different story.

Hipster fail.
                              2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer SS. Daily. Far from stock.

2001.5 Audi S4. Billet rs6 and everything else. FOR SALE. $6500
                              Need this car sold.

1960 Ford Falcon.

Comment

Now that the ToS is back to normal, whats all your usernames?
                                Tunerworks Performance Inc.
                                Please email sales@tunerworks.com for pricing
                                .: TUNERWORKSTORQUE .:. Blog .:. Facebook .:. FlickeFlu .:. Flickr .:. YouTube .:. Kijiji Clearance :.
                                STaSIS / Eurojet / GIAC / HRE / Modulare / BBS / WORK / RENNTech / TechArt / Brabus / Akrapovic / AWE / Fabspeed / Milltek / Hotchkis / MEC Design / KW Suspension / Novitec / Kahn Design / QuickSilver / RSC / StopTech / Brembo / AP Racing / Vorsteiner & more!

Comment

Working...
                                X