Importing Cars from the States?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing Cars from the States?

Has anyone imported a car from the US on here? I found exactly what I am looking for in San Diego, I could make it all happen quite easily as well, just looking for details so i can make it as smooth as possible.

I plan on flying down and simply driving it home over a week or so, make it a little vacation. Sorry if this is covered somewhere else, just looking for some insight!

I wont announce the car JUST yet till it gets closer to being mine, but its a 2004, i know the year will make a difference.

Thanks everyone!

PS - I'm glancing at the memorandum D19-12-1 of importation of vehicles, i dont have the time to read it at work because its lengthy, but I'm sure someone has some good ideas on the right ways to do it and which paperwork to get sorted. Thanks again.
    I take pictures for money.

Re: Importing Cars from the States?

www.RIV.ca

This website will have all the information you will need when it comes to importing. BTW congrats on your soon to be new .:R32
    Patryk
    Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
    08 VW .:R32
    04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

I worked with a dealership when importing mine but the dealer faxed all the documents to the border before I got there, I think they need about 24 hours minimum with the documents to make sure the vehicle is not stolen or has any other legal issues with it. You'll need the sales receipts, the titles, the service records and verification that all recalls have been performed on the vehicle. You'll need some in transit for the states and in transit for Canada. This is about all I recall as it was a few years ago. The whole process sounds more intimidating than it is.
      Evan
      08 R32
      88 Golf (soup kitchen)

Comment

Documents need to be at the border 72 hours before crossing, but if you plan on making a week long vacation out of it, you should be fine. As Evan mentioned, you'll need the bill of sale, the title, a recall letter from VW ensuring all have been done, then fax all those documents to the border. Once you get to the border, pay duty, tax, come back to calgary, get OOP and OOC inspection, and you should be good to go. I'm sure i'm forgetting something but that RIV website has all the details.
        Patryk

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Yes 72 hours! I somehow got back in 48, they must have felt bad for me having to spend a night in Shelby.
          Evan
          08 R32
          88 Golf (soup kitchen)

Comment

check out James's importing from the states thread on beyond. lots of useful info there
            http://forums.beyond.ca/st/107279/ja...tates-thread-/
            sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
            His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
            Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
            Past:
            B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
            B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
            2004 .:R32 BMP
            2001.5 Noggy blue s4
            2000 VW GTI 1.8T
            1997 VW Jetta VR6

Comment

Wow you guys are great thanks! Also, Arkus...you caught me, am i THAT predictable already?! Damn. Anyway, I'll be looking into it a lot this week. I really hope this goes through, found exactly what i am looking for. Got the airmiles and the willing girlfriend to support the purchase and come for the drive, stoked!

Comment

Haha there isnt many cars that are 2004 and not readily available in Canada for someone to import from the states. As previously mentioned, if you do your homework, the procedure is actually quite simple. Plus with a 7 days roadtrip up the west coast you should have some fun. If you're close by, detour and check out Mulholland Highway. It will be a nice way to break in the car
                Patryk

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Originally posted by P Arkus View Post
                  Haha there isnt many cars that are 2004 and not readily available in Canada for someone to import from the states. As previously mentioned, if you do your homework, the procedure is actually quite simple. Plus with a 7 days roadtrip up the west coast you should have some fun. If you're close by, detour and check out Mulholland Highway. It will be a nice way to break in the car
                  Ive done the drive a bunch when i was a touring musician, i just cant wait to do it with a nice car, a good looking girl, a camera, and no deadline. Thanks again for all the advice. This car will be amazing if it all works out

Comment

I'm excited for you haha, have a fun and safe drive back.
                    MK5 .:R32 - Aston

Comment

Hey jim
                      i have a full write up with links for everything that you need:

Importing an American Car

Step 1:

Is it admissible?
                      http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safev...list/vafus.pdf
                      Choose Border Crossing.
                      http://www.ucanimport.com/Border_Crossing_Info.aspx
                      Call border crossing, find out fax number and ask exactly what documentation they will require. For me it was Title, Bill of Sale, and the Vehicle Export Worksheet.
                      http://www.ucanimport.com/docs/CBPGe...tWorksheet.pdf
                      You will want to contact the manufacturer of the car and request that a Vehicle Clearance Letter be sent to RIV as per this website:
                      http://www.riv.ca/english/html/recall_clearance.html
                      Make sure the car is insured. For registration you have 2 options. You can either go to a Canadian Registry and ask them what they need for temporary trip registration before you fly down or you can go to the DMV in the states after buying the car. I went to the DMV and got a trip permit. It was valid for 3 days.

Step 2: You have purchased the car

As soon as you can, fax all required documentation to the border crossing of your choice. They will require 72 hours to process your request. Sometimes if you’re lucky it will not take as long.
                      Go to a DMV and get temporary registration. It’s usually valid for 3 days and it’s called trip registration or something similar.

Step 3: Crossing the border

At the border you will need to park in the exporting vehicle spot and go into the US customs side to get your Title stamped.
                      Once it’s stamped you will cross the border normally and then you will need to go over to the Canadian side. Here they will issue you the Form 1 of the 2 inspection forms. You will also have to pay all duty, tax and necessary fees.
                      Tax: 5%
                      Duty: 6.1%
                      Excise Tax: $100
                      Fees: RIV fee $205 (covers federal inspection)
                      Do not lie about the price of the car, they will catch you and you’ll have to pay 125% of the part you lied about.

Step 4: Making your car a Canadian Car

You will need to make sure the car has daytime running lights. Any mechanic can put this in as it is usually just a simple relay. If you are trying to import a BMW it’s a little more complicated and a lot more expensive. Talk to your dealer to see what you need to get done. When I wanted to import a 2000 BMW 540i it was a fee of around $3500 for various BS modifications.
                      Once you have the DRL’s go directly to Canadian tire with all your paperwork and get them to do the Federal Inspection. This inspection is an absolute joke. Takes 10 minutes, and all they do is check DRL’s.
                      For RIV to release the Form 2 (ask them to email it to you) they will need the Vehicle Recall Clearance letter and the stamped Form 1. Get all this done ASAP as it takes a couple days for them to get you the form 2 and it’s a PITA.
                      For the provincial inspection you will need a document from the registries (around $20) and your Form 2. Provincial inspection is the last step before you can register. If the car is really new you may be able to skip this step, talk to your registries.
                      If all goes well, your newly registered car will get a sticker sent in the mail after 2 weeks certifying it to be a Canadian Car.
                      Good Luck!
                      Last edited by T-Dubbs; 03-06-2013, 12:32 PM.
                      ~~TODD~~
                      '12 x5 35d fully deleted (DUDMD Stg2)

Comment

Great writeup.

Comment

It all seems like a lot when you're not familiar with it, but once you have done it, it's actually pretty simple.

Nice choice BTW.

Comment

Good write up. An admin should make that a sticky somewhere!
                            Mike
                            '14 Toyota 4Runner SR5
                            '04 Jetta Wagon 1.8T

Comment

How to import a car

Step 1. Check admissability of the car in question on the RIV website.
                              Step 2. Do your due diligence before purchasing car
                              Step 3. Purchase car, I found wiring money direct to sellers account worked well as there was paper trail
                              Step 4. Fill out bill of sale document, and email/fax to seller. Both of you must SIGN document
                              Step 5. Have seller email/fax you back completed bill of sale, along with a COPY of the title of the car in their name
                              Step 6. Email the Dept of Homeland Security Vehicle Exportation team at the border crossing you plan to cross at, they will send you a package of information.
                              Step 7. Fill out the required worksheet from the border, and attach COPY of bill of sale and title in prev owners name. SEND THIS TO BORDER 72 BUSINESS HOURS BEFORE YOU PLAN TO CROSS. Note the Borders are only open 8am-330pm Monday to Friday excluding weekends and holidays.
                              Step 8. Using RIV website locate the manufacturers recall HQ. Call the number the RIV provides and ask for a recall clearance letter. They will give you a case # and a fax#. Fax them a copy of the title and bill of sale.
                              Step 9. You should receive a confirmation email from the border stating the date you may cross once they have received documentation. If you have not heard from them in 24 hours email asking for confirmation.
                              Step 10. Call insurance company and get insurance sorted out. All they need is VIN#
                              Step 11. Take insurance and Bill of Sale to the Registry (Alberta) and ask for an in transit permit ($25)
                              Step 12. Take in transit permit and all copies of documentation down and pick up car. Sign all ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS including ORIGINAL TITLE with seller. These must come to the border.
                              Step 13. Go to DMV in US and get a transit permit to get you to the border. You can't use your in transit permit from Canada in the US
                              Step 14. Drive to border. Cross at US side, present the original title, bill of sale, and worksheet. They will sign you through
                              Step 15. Get to Canadian border, they will get you to fill out a "FORM 1", as well as pay RIV costs. I think its 11.1% of the total price
                              Step 16. Within 45 days you must take car to Canadian Tire for an RIV inspection, they are the only place that can do it. You need recall letter for the RIV inspection. It takes 30 mins.
                              Step 17: Go to registry and get a Out of Province Inspection form request ($10)
                              Step 18; get OOP inspection done within 14 days of RIV
                              Step 19: take bill of sale, RIV Form1 which will now be stamped both sides, one by border one by inspection, insurance, old title, OOP inspection form to Registry and have car registered in province.
                              Step 20: enjoy car.
                              Team Highschool
                              Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Working...
                              X