Headunit swap back to OEM maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headunit swap back to OEM maybe?

Well with the new eurocluster I've been researching on all the other goodies I can add other than climatronic no biggie lol.
    So the OEM euro Gamma headunit seems to be the best one.. its made by blaupunkt and is 200W's sounds really good I guess. It works in conjunction with the full MFA to display track and radio info,etc.
    Right now I'm trying to find out on vortex if I get this HU and the OEM phatbox if it will display the MP3 ID tags on the cluster's MFA if it can I might switch back over to an OEM solution only if I can see what i'm listening to.
    Right now I guess the phatbox on a stock NA deck it talks to you in the car and reads what folder your on,etc which seems kinda crazy when I have like 40gigs of music

edit.. i found out the Delta 6 is the double din version of the gamma.. but its pretty expensive.. oh well still searching lol

edit2.. My 03 never came with monsoon. They pulled it out on the 03s for some reason my stock HU was a Premium 6 non monsoon I guess so I can explore alot more audio options than you guys with monsoons as you have to replace more stuff.
    Last edited by R_Ethug; 03-01-2004, 10:19 AM.

Re: Headunit swap back to OEM maybe?

yeah, I called NL last year about the PhatBox. It's hella expensive. $1200 if I recall.
    Neil
    '03 Silver Jetta 1.8T - gone, but not forgotten

mods to my car

Comment

you can get them off vortex GBs for not too much still about the price of a good aftermarket deck 400+

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan
        Well with the new eurocluster I've been researching on all the other goodies I can add other than climatronic no biggie lol.
        So the OEM euro Gamma headunit seems to be the best one.. its made by blaupunkt and is 200W's sounds really good I guess. It works in conjunction with the full MFA to display track and radio info,etc.
        Right now I'm trying to find out on vortex if I get this HU and the OEM phatbox if it will display the MP3 ID tags on the cluster's MFA if it can I might switch back over to an OEM solution only if I can see what i'm listening to.
        Right now I guess the phatbox on a stock NA deck it talks to you in the car and reads what folder your on,etc which seems kinda crazy when I have like 40gigs of music

edit.. i found out the Delta 6 is the double din version of the gamma.. but its pretty expensive.. oh well still searching lol

edit2.. My 03 never came with monsoon. They pulled it out on the 03s for some reason my stock HU was a Premium 6 non monsoon I guess so I can explore alot more audio options than you guys with monsoons as you have to replace more stuff.
        Ryan, so are you saying that my deck isn't a Monsoon? I think my stock HU is the same as your stock HU. Where can I find more info on this?
        Neil

mods to my car

Comment

well did you get monsoon as an option because I'm pretty sure you couldn't maybe on the GLX's tho.. one way to know is when you start your car does the unit display MONSOON if so theres your answer

Comment

No, it doesn't say monsoon anywhere but the manual. And as you know, manuals don't always reflect what you have.
            Last edited by 1.8Trip; 03-01-2004, 10:50 AM.
            Neil

mods to my car

Comment

Originally posted by 1.8Trip
              No, it doesn't say monsoon anywhere but the manual. And as you know, manuals don't always reflect what you have.
              AFAIK if you have the amp, its Monsoon, so just check to see if its there. On the Jetta its in the trunk.
              KR
              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Ryan, please let me know if you find out anything about the Gamma unit. I did some research into it quite a while ago and I remember reading that it sounds WAY better than our NA Monsoon units. Any web sites or prices that you find would be useful. Thanks!
                billip
                2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

i just seached vortex and opened tons of threads bill

Comment

My Jetta is an '03, it most definitely has monsoon, and it DOES say monsoon when you turn it on.
                    Last edited by Mr. Burns; 03-01-2004, 02:31 PM.

Present
                    2010 Audi A4 S-Line
                    2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
                    2003 VW Jetta GLI
                    1992 VW Jetta GL
                    1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

mike i think then GLI's and GLX's got it and GLS didn't i dunno..

Comment

Wow, ryan I got looking more into this stuff with the Delta unit, and the differences, and then noticed that you could code your radio through Vag to your car! Reading through the posts there were alot of people noting that their radios were muffled, or sound like crap at higher volumes....this is my problem exactly! I wonder if all of our monsoon systems are just coded like crap....Ex. one guy noted that when he turned his radio on he heard a *click,click,click,click* noise.....after coding it was gone and sounded better....My car does this when I turn it on....So now of course I'm curious what the deal is, and what I can do to fix it....Anywho, very interesting topic, I'm gonna go research a Delta unit, cause that and a Phatbox and someday in the future an MFA cluster and that would be sweet! BTW for reference I found these radio codes...

X#### (1st digit): Country code
                        0 = default; nothing else "works"

#X### (2nd digit): Vehicle sound-tuning
                        1 = "works," vehicle unknown
                        2 = Bora (Jetta)
                        4 = Golf
                        6 = "works," vehicle unknown
                        8 = New Beetle

##X## (3rd digit): Amplification
                        0 = 4 active (amplified) speakers (e.g. Monsoon)
                        4 = 4 passive speakers
                        5 = 2 passive speakers (front, no rear, as on some Euro cars)

###X# (4th digit): DSP option (Euro-market accessory)
                        0 = not installed
                        2 = active ("GALA" disappears from radio)

####X (5th digit): CD, instrument display (radio system info in MFA) options
                        1 = no CD, no instrument display
                        3 = CD only, no instrument display
                        5 = instrument display enabled, no CD
                        7 = CD installed + instrument display enabled
                        2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
                        2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
                        2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

I am quite interested in this Gamma 6 you speak of. Any info that anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

Present
                          2010 Audi A4 S-Line
                          2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
                          2003 VW Jetta GLI
                          1992 VW Jetta GL
                          1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

In Europe you can get the Golf/Jetta with in-dash nav right? Why not just get that? Or is this the same thing?
                            KR
                            Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

k guys this is what I've found.. the Delta 6 is the gamma only double din.. it is the same radio as the R32's! the gamma 6 is a single din that requires a changer.. both show text and radio text info (rds).. both are 200W have a ton of settings in them and both sound apprantly super super good.. both work with phatbox and both can display track info on the cluster's MFA and work with a steering wheel.. i'm still trying to find out if MP3 tags can be put on the cluster and no luck so far :(

Comment

Working...
                              X