follow up on accident…..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• follow up on accident…..

I had posted in November that my car was hit while I was driving, other driver was charged, his fault, his insurance. well they finaly sent an appraiser to look at it and
    value the damage. He calls me and tells me it is a write off ,your car is valued at $3100.00
    How the heck can I replace my
    1997 Audi A6 Quattro with 216000 km in very nice body and running condition
    with $3100
    I am not going to replace an A6 with a miled out 1999 golf
    how can i get the insurance to realize this and come up on their value.
    I am not looking to make money just looking to replace my perfectly fine car that I had no problems with until buddy ran into me.
    picture of car this summer

Re: follow up on accident…..

You won't win. Not to sound too blunt or anything I just can't see a way around it because really, it is worth $3100. You could buy it back from the insurance company and repair it yourself but that would cost you more than it would make sense to spend. I would look at b5 a4s as they are priced around there and you wouldn't have trouble finding a nice one for around $3000-$5000. Tough loss man.
    Evan

Brilliant Black B6 A4 1.8T

Comment

You can try to talk to them and ask them to find you an equivalent model for sale currently

I believe you can also claim recent repairs up to a year
      Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

Go online and find a couple of similar models with similar mileage for sale. Show it to them and argue until you get the value of a replacement car.

Comment

Yup, like stated request replacement value. Have them find you an identical ride.
          -Stefan- '02 S6 Atlas Grey

'01 A6 2.7T MT --- Sold
          '95 GTI 2.slo --- Sold

Need Radio Removal Keys, VAG-Com? PM Me

Comment

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
            Go online and find a couple of similar models with similar mileage for sale. Show it to them and argue until you get the value of a replacement car.
            Unfortunately, this is how they determine what to give you for your vehicle so i don't think it will do you any good. The only thing you can do to MAYBE get them to give you more money is to show them receipts for any recent work done.
            Kim

Comment

Thanks for your input, if I decide to buy it back and fix it. I need a front bumper or just cover, right signal lens, the fender is banged up but not hanging loose and passenger door is slightly dented so I can't imagine I would have to change them to pass a write out inspection. Where would you suggest I get a write off inspection and at what cost would it be.

Comment

I wouldn't recommend the salvage inspection route. They are real tough, everything has to be perfect on the car even in areas that weren't affected by the accident. A chip in the windshield will fail it, it's pretty hard to pass the first time. I had to go through it and won't ever again. The inspection cost me $250 about 5 years ago, i'd imagine the price has gone up.
                Last edited by Mcrow; 01-03-2014, 06:30 PM.
                Mitch

1996 Harlequin
                2001 Toyota Highlander

Comment

You do NOT have to let them set the value of your car.

If you and your insurance company disagree on the value of the car, you have the right to seek arbitration. Arbitration is the process of bringing in a neutral third party to settle the dispute. The arbitrator will examine the facts of the case and make a decision in favour of the consumer or the insurance company. Arbitration may or may not be binding on the parties involved, depending on your insurance agreement.

If you still disagree, and the Arbitrator’s decision is not binding, you can contact the General Insurance OmbudService (GIO) for dispute resolution. This service is completely free of charge and is available to any insurance policy holder in Canada.

As a last resort, you can seek outside legal advice e.g. sue them for what you believe is the value of the car, legal expenses, your time, etc.
                  Last edited by Kor; 01-03-2014, 06:45 PM.
                  KR
                  Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

FWIW, I may have a Cyclamen coloured fender for you to use.

PM for details
                    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                    Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                    Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Originally posted by vteclol View Post
                      Unfortunately, this is how they determine what to give you for your vehicle so i don't think it will do you any good. The only thing you can do to MAYBE get them to give you more money is to show them receipts for any recent work done.
                      I had a TDI get wrote off in a flood back in Halifax and the insurance company offered me $6000. You could not find a replacement for my car at anything under $8000 (ranged from 8k to 12k). My car had higher mileage but was in great shape, they ended up coming up in price to 8500 after I sent them a list of comparable cars. I would never accept the first offer they give you if you believe your car is worth more.
                      1990 BMW 325is
                      2000 Jetta VR6 (sold)
                      2000 Jetta TDI (RIP)

Comment

Might depend on the appraiser. I know my dad goes off of what they are selling for on kijiji.

Was your appraiser a third party appraiser that the insurance company sent out?
                        Kim

Comment

What do you think your 17 year old A6 is worth? Are they really that far off with their $3100 valuation?
                          Derek

-2008 Avus Silver RS4-Fat ass II
                          -1996 C4S-Fat Ass
                          -2007 FJ Cruiser-6 speed

Comment

The issue I have is that I had a car that served my propose perfectly, it was in very good condition body, mechanically, glass, interior everything, no issues
                            some dumb jerk puts his truck into the side of my car and it will now cost me money to replace this car with something thats is similar, and I mean not value wise but similar usage
                            ie , good overall condition, quattro, reasonable km's basically a car that would not need me to but more money into repairing the car to get it the in the same condition.
                            Why should I have to pay out more money to replace something I did not break!!
                            They valued the car buy recent sales listed, well I have been looking and there is nothing that my car could be compared to,. not that it is special or anything like that but anyone with an older A6 does not seem to sell them if they are in good condition and nothing wrong, sure I can find ones with damage, abs and or mil lights on and needs work ect.
                            I checked with some canadian sites for car values VMR and low on this car is 3400 and high is 4700, so an offer at 3100 to me is a low ball…
                            My question would now be show me something I can purchase with $3100 that is similar to what I have….car needs to be close if not in calgary, no salvage titles, something I can get in and drive…
                            and I will consider it, I have been and am looking. I have been unable to find anything...

Comment

I have some experience with this. My 87 E30 was hit on the front. I drove it for 3 months before fixing anything. They appraised the car at $3200 and the estimate to fix was $3800. I made it quite clear that I was keeping the car. They paid me out the $3200 and I negotiated a $0 buy back. I drove it till the end of December when the registration became due. I now need to get it salvage inspected so that's about where I stop for info. I know my car needs a new windshield to pass, but other than a bit of rust on the passenger door, everything is in great condition. So hopefully I can pass on the first inspection after taking care of the windshield. I have heard that the inspection will be $500 but I am waiting to get back to Medicine Hat from Red Deer before I call and find out.
                              15 GTI
                              65 Beetle
                              87 BMW E30

Comment

Working...
                              X