FRS Radios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRS Radios

I was thinking about the upcoming cruising season and how it's always a beotch keeping in touch with everyone on the road, especially when there are lots of rides. I think the club should standardize on using FRS radios when doing cruises or events away from home... they're cheap... work in remote locations... and everyone can hear (so it's easy to say "Turn left on 5th" or something like that). Everyone would have to buy their own... but you can get them super cheap. I'm gonna get 2 this weekend I think... I can use them camping in the summer too.

Any thoughts?
    billip
    2013 Audi RS 5

Re: FRS Radios

I totally agree after the post WOW craziness of getting split up and lost and my cellphone ringing non-stop I think this is a very good idea. Not everyone has to have one but if every few cars have them it will make cruising much easier and enjoyable! I think I will pick a pair up soon.
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Good idea Bill. It'll make cruises that much better. Where is a good place to get a cheaper one?
      Sidewalks are for normal walkin.... aint no room for fancy walkin....

Comment

Originally posted by liquid
        Good idea Bill. It'll make cruises that much better. Where is a good place to get a cheaper one?
        You can get them pretty much anywhere. I know that Future Shop has a bunch. They seem to be in 2 packs most of the time, but I know that you can buy them as singles as some places.

I'm gonna get the Motorola T5725 twin pack.
        Last edited by Billip; 03-11-2004, 02:08 PM.
        billip
        2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

All I can say is buy ones with sub channels. My Dad got a couple for Christmas (Motorolas). They only had the 40 main channels, and there are ALWAYS people on them. I think with subchannels you can get a couple hundred options.

Jason
          Jay

Comment

I lucked out and get a helluva deal on them at Best Buy during boxing week. 2 Motorola 5725's (I think... the ones with the sub channels anyway) with nicad packs and recharger for $50. I think the normal price for those is around $70 for the pair without the rechargeable stuff.
            Pat
            Driver Found: Camber Wanted

Comment

Originally posted by MrHeavyFoot
              I lucked out and get a helluva deal on them at Best Buy during boxing week. 2 Motorola 5725's (I think... the ones with the sub channels anyway) with nicad packs and recharger for $50. I think the normal price for those is around $70 for the pair without the rechargeable stuff.
              How are you finding the rechargable ones? I was planning on getting the AA version ones because I can change the batteries while on the road (camping, etc.) if I need to, and the rechargable batteries are NiCad... and I've never liked NiCad technology. Doesn't seem to take long to get screwed and then replacing the NiCad batteries is usually expensive. I'd be interested to know how you like them.
              billip
              2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

Hmmm maybe I'll look into this lol. Or we could go for hams lol
                Nick
                There are only two infinites, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
                --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Billip
                  How are you finding the rechargable ones? I was planning on getting the AA version ones because I can change the batteries while on the road (camping, etc.) if I need to, and the rechargable batteries are NiCad... and I've never liked NiCad technology. Doesn't seem to take long to get screwed and then replacing the NiCad batteries is usually expensive. I'd be interested to know how you like them.
                  Well, I haven't gotten a lot of use out of them yet. I bought them mainly for autox which doesn't start up for a couple of months. I've brought them out to the ice races a couple of times. Didn't get used much but they were turned on for about 6 hours at a time (in relatively cold conditions) and the battery display only shows them dropping 1 notch out of 3. I'd have to double check, but I think the actual radio unit is the same as the non-rechargeable ones, so I could just pop in some AA's if I had to.

Would be nice if the recharger could plug into a cigarette lighter mind you.
                  Pat
                  Driver Found: Camber Wanted

Comment

Well I picked up those Motorola FRS radios last night. I got the rechargable ones because you can put AA batteries in them too (thanks MrHeavyFoot).

They are pretty and blue and make fun beeps.
                    billip
                    2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

Originally posted by Billip
                      Well I picked up those Motorola FRS radios last night. I got the rechargable ones because you can put AA batteries in them too (thanks MrHeavyFoot).

They are pretty and blue and make fun beeps.
                      There seem to be 100's of models available. They all seem to have the same features (from my perspective). It is very confusing.
                      KR
                      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
                        There seem to be 100's of models available. They all seem to have the same features (from my perspective). It is very confusing.
                        Yeah, it's true. I did a little research and ones I bought seem to get good reviews. They all work together on the base 14 channels, but when you get into the "sub channels" they can sometimes only work within the same manufacturer or even the same model. You'd probably be fine with just about any model... I would recommend Motorola. I found this top 10 list somewhere on the net and Motorola had about 6 of the top 10 spots.
                        billip
                        2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

Working...
                        X