X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music Downloading

Found this link on MSN.ca this morning,
    http://www.cbc.ca/arts/features/downloading/

I found it quite interesting and I have to say that I generally agree. Plus, it's about time someone talked about music downloading besides the Record execs. I mean who really gives a crap what they say anyway, everyone knows what they are about. I would say that a lot of people on this site are in the category they are talking about, true music fans that aren't only looking for "free music".

Anyway, being a bit of a musician myself (Whenever I get the rest of the cash to go back into the studio), I thought I would share.
    Jay

Re: Music Downloading

Very interesting article, and yes it is great to see that there are people out there that have accepted the fact that internet music and file sharing is never going away as opposed to many who want to control or eliminate this technology. It is a definite fact that every cd I have purchased over the past 2-3 years is chosen based upon a download or clip I have gotten from the web, and perhaps some of those artists should begin to understand that, and my musical future is now for sure a byproduct of this technology.

Jason, if I could also take some money that all seems to be going to the Jetta and concentrate on some equipment club tracks would take a huge leap!
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Agreed, interesting article. I really need to start seeking out new stuff on the net more... I just find it so unintuative. I've actually found that CBC has a really good area for new music that is a little off the wall, and Canadian!

I was interested in music copyright a few weeks ago and I found this site. It's a quick read about the legality of sharing music in Canada. Good for everyone to know who shares music.

What are some of the sites or apps that people use to get exposed to new music... not just the Top 10 or Top 100 or whatever. (hope this doesn't hyjack your thread!)

PS: In case you didn't know, I'm a musician too. Drums and Piano are my main instruments. I'm planning on picking up one of these in the next few months... I'll be completely broke after though!
      Last edited by Billip; 03-17-2004, 01:28 PM.
      billip
      2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

Exactly, downloading music is here to stay, the fact that labels were trying to get rid of it rather than adapt to it just further showed their ignorance.

Now, everyone taking free music WOULD hurt the end musician but at a very small fraction. Plus, downloadable music gives musicians an oportunity to get their stuff out there without being "signed", which usually just means "we'll loan you 100,000, if you do good, you'll pay off the loan and we will take 25-50% of the sales and "distribute" your album. If it bombs, tough luck, you still owe us 100,000". Plus like you said Blair, you buy albums based on content you downloaded. I've done the same, if it's good enough I buy it no matter if you can get the entire album free. I've downloaded stuff that I didn't think I'd like only to end up buying the album 'cause I liked it so much, kinda hard to do when you walk into HMV and want to listen to a dozen CD's.

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo
        Jason, if I could also take some money that all seems to be going to the Jetta and concentrate on some equipment club tracks would take a huge leap!
        Haha, yea, need to get you some turntables!
        I wanted to get a PC at the beginning of this year too so I could start experimenting with some electronic stuff (My demo is uh, how do you say "Angry Music", Alien Ant farmish for those that have heard more than "Smooth Criminal", maybe even a little "linkin park") But all spending is on hold for a couple more months. But soon.

Bill, that thing is sick! When I was looking at a PC I was checking out some work stations (no where near that though). Piano and Drums eh? Nice combo, good theory AND you get to groove! I wish I learned a lead instrument, I've only ever really played Bass but I'm not even good enough to play on my own demo, haha. I'm getting someone else to play. I'm the singer.

Ok, I'm done now, haha

Jason
        Jay

Comment

The only music I download is obscure music that I feel I need to listen to before stepping up and buying a $17 CD.

Music I like, I buy the album and support the artist for future music. I think that's the way it should be.

Hey Blaire, if you're looking for someone to spin records for ya, I've been spinning for a few years now. My setup is garbage, but it works. I wish I could afford to get new stuff, but I'd rather spend the cash on the VW.
          huh?

2003 GTI Silverstone Gray

Comment

Thanks, but I actually want to start DJing and mixing myself, but I have expensive tastes, so all I want is a couple of these and maybe a mixer too!

Blair
            Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

in all honesty i buy the CD's of artists I 'really' like other than that I download the music.. IMO they have to stop showing all that VH1 richest stars crap and crips and all that crap.. if i see how rich a stupid drummer is off a crappy band then why the hell do i want to give them more money when they are flossing 2 bentleys!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan
                in all honesty i buy the CD's of artists I 'really' like other than that I download the music.. IMO they have to stop showing all that VH1 richest stars crap and crips and all that crap.. if i see how rich a stupid drummer is off a crappy band then why the hell do i want to give them more money when they are flossing 2 bentleys!
                Would you go to work everyday if you didn't get paid?

I realize that's a bit of a stretch comparison, but these people do put a lot of work into their craft... well most of them anyways. The examples you site of "Cribs" and "Ride" and stuff like that are by far the minority of music artists. Most of them are normal everyday people - and aren't super rich pop stars. I can understand a little of the "they already have so much money" argument, but just imagine that was you.

I'm not trying to lecture anyone, but as a musician I believe it's important to support those artists that you like and listen to. Do I download music? Sure! But I buy a TON of music too.

Edit: The sad part about it all is that the labels make away with most of the money. I hate music labels for the most part... and as the medium music is delivered on changes so must the labels or they will become irrelavent.
                Last edited by Billip; 03-17-2004, 04:02 PM.
                billip
                2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

yea thats true bill.. i buy alot of music too.. and download my fair share.. labels do get a ton too.. they're more of the crybabies than the artists i think

ps.. metric is coming on the 7th to tequilas FYI my bro is going to it

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan
                    ps.. metric is coming on the 7th to tequilas FYI my bro is going to it
                    Cool... thanks for letting me know!
                    billip
                    2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

Working...
                    X