Is this a scam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a scam?

I was just poking around Ebay and I came across this item. It's a Roland Fantom X8, which is exactly the music workstation I want to buy. I was planning on getting it from a local music store, and expected to pay around $4000 including taxes. However this one on Ebay has me very interested. Seems like it's gonna go for pretty cheap (I realize the last day or two will be crazy bidding).

But it kinda seems like a scam to me. They guy has no feedback. This keyboard JUST started to ship (press release was about 3 days ago that it was shipping). The ad says he ships worldwide and that he accepts COD. He also has a Yahoo email account. The price seems VERY VERY low to me... that must be below dealer cost (he says he wants $1200US for it... still very cheap). I don't know... I'm not an Ebay expert. If you guru Ebayers can have a look and let me know what you think that would be awesome.

I've also sent the guy some questions about it and I'll see what kind of response I get.
    billip
    2013 Audi RS 5

Re: Is this a scam?

Originally posted by Billip
    I was just poking around Ebay and I came across this item. It's a Roland Fantom X8, which is exactly the music workstation I want to buy. I was planning on getting it from a local music store, and expected to pay around $4000 including taxes. However this one on Ebay has me very interested. Seems like it's gonna go for pretty cheap (I realize the last day or two will be crazy bidding).

But it kinda seems like a scam to me. They guy has no feedback. This keyboard JUST started to ship (press release was about 3 days ago that it was shipping). The ad says he ships worldwide and that he accepts COD. He also has a Yahoo email account. The price seems VERY VERY low to me... that must be below dealer cost (he says he wants $1200US for it... still very cheap). I don't know... I'm not an Ebay expert. If you guru Ebayers can have a look and let me know what you think that would be awesome.

I've also sent the guy some questions about it and I'll see what kind of response I get.

It might be that he is simply a new dealer of this product.... but I personally stay away from people with low feedback on major purchases.

A careful ebayer can never be scammed. If you are in doubt, simply use an escrow service. Basically how it works is that you pay the escrow service, then they confirm with the seller that your money has been recieved. The seller then has to deliver the item before the escrow service releases the funds. Usually the charge for this is a couple of percent.

You can also get a real address and phone number and confrm them before doing business. If he is actually a "dealer" and business owner, he should also have a business number or business license or something like that which you can confirm with his state/city/etc.

If someone is reluctant to give you such information or use an escrow service, it is better to not take the chance.

--
    Kris
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

I also noticed that it says COD under acceptable payments.

If you're paying on delivery, then its not too much of a problem. Item gets delivered, you open the box, check it out, then pay. If its not delivered, you don't pay. Never actually dealt with COD before, but I am guessing that it is arraged through the shipper such as UPS/FedEx etc.

Also he is in Canada (free shipping in Canada) so it would be easier to deal with any problems vs the US.
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Agreed with Kris..COD is your friend in this case, so you really can't go wrong!
        2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
        2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
        2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
          It might be that he is simply a new dealer of this product.... but I personally stay away from people with low feedback on major purchases.

A careful ebayer can never be scammed. If you are in doubt, simply use an escrow service. Basically how it works is that you pay the escrow service, then they confirm with the seller that your money has been recieved. The seller then has to deliver the item before the escrow service releases the funds. Usually the charge for this is a couple of percent.

You can also get a real address and phone number and confrm them before doing business. If he is actually a "dealer" and business owner, he should also have a business number or business license or something like that which you can confirm with his state/city/etc.

If someone is reluctant to give you such information or use an escrow service, it is better to not take the chance.

--
          Kris
          Just a bit further on this - understand that anyone can make a web page that looks like an escrow service. Scammers will often direct you to one of their escrows in an attempt to relax you - but after the money is send, both the seller and the site vanish. Tell the buyer you are using escrow.com (or some other well known big site) and if they balk, run away.

Khyron
          Geoff
          Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Also, if you use your VISA you probably have the ability to cancel a payment. Although this can piss off companies like PayPal, but who really cares You can always just create another account.
            KR
            Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

If you pay attention to the information it says email me BEFORE you bid, so why not shoot him an email and see what he has to say. Could be that he is selling wholesale info or something instead, but it costs you nothing to send him an email to see what is going on.
              Blair
              Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo
                If you pay attention to the information it says email me BEFORE you bid, so why not shoot him an email and see what he has to say. Could be that he is selling wholesale info or something instead, but it costs you nothing to send him an email to see what is going on.
                I did send him and email and I'm waiting for an answer back, and I haven't placed a bid yet.

Thanks for the good info guys. Hopefully I can get this for MUCH less than they are at a store in Calgary.
                billip
                2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

I think as long as you use escrow or COD it should be alright.

Hopefully he is just a new ebay user and that's why he doesn't have any feedback. Everyone has to start somewhere.

From what I've found, getting any type of music equipement here in Calgary is almost always gonna be at least 10-25% more then somewhere online. If you don't get this from this auction, definitly get it online.

Watch out for shipping/duty though, I took a big hit with that a couple of times!

Just a thought...
                  huh?

2003 GTI Silverstone Gray

Comment

Well from my buying/selling experience, your best bet is to get a phone number, and call the guy up, a few minutes of long distance isn't that much to pay. And well then you have at least that if you have to hunt them down.
                    Nick
                    There are only two infinites, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
                    --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by tex_the_t_rex
                      From what I've found, getting any type of music equipement here in Calgary is almost always gonna be at least 10-25% more then somewhere online. If you don't get this from this auction, definitly get it online.

Watch out for shipping/duty though, I took a big hit with that a couple of times!
                      On a related note, Bill I think I mentioned that my brother was shopping for a Roland keyboard for a while (until he ran out of money due to lack of employment). If I recall, he found that most new ones on ebay were generally 50% less than anywhere remotely local. So I would not be surprised by the price.

This deal in particular looks good because its in Canada, no shipping or duty concerns. If you can get a hold of him and go COD or escrow then I would jump on it.
                      KR
                      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Yeah... I'm anxiously waiting for a reply email back from the seller. Nothing yet... but it's only been about 4 hours. I would be so stoked if I could get a wicked deal on it... and it means more money for other things (like mods).
                        billip
                        2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

Originally posted by Billip
                          Yeah... I'm anxiously waiting for a reply email back from the seller. Nothing yet... but it's only been about 4 hours. I would be so stoked if I could get a wicked deal on it... and it means more money for other things (like mods).
                          Hey Bill,

You can't go wrong with C.O.D. Only problem is, if you get the thing home and then find out it doesn't work. Anyhow, with regards to eBay... I've bought many things on there... including a brand new set of TaylorMade RAC LT golf clubs from a guy with a -1 feedback. Paid less than 1/2 price for them!

Lets' just say... I am a major fan of the "Bay".

Cheers...

P.S. If you can, pay through PAYPAL, make sure you get the item before 30 days is up, check it out to make sure its legit... if not, cancel your payment with PAYPAL and you'll get your money back. Less a small service fee through PAYPAL of course.

Good Luck!
                          Rob
                          Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
                          Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

Working...
                          X