They don't make em like they used to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They don't make em like they used to

A few years back I picked up an old hamilton beach drinkmaster drink mixer / milkshake maker. It worked fantastically well.

I used it for a couple of years then I gave it away to a friend in Montreal.

Today I was thinking of getting one again, so I checked the classified, they are now worth $100-$150
    http://www.antiquemystique.com/pages/3512_jpg.htm

Turns out the new stuff is plastic and has low power motors and does not produce proper milk shakes.
    If I had known my $5 garage sale find was going to be worth $100+ I would have held onto it.

Anyone have one of these kicking around their grandma's place that they are interested in selling for $5?

I can't help but be amazed that a home product from the 40s is better than some of 2014's commercial stuff...

Re: They don't make em like they used to

This reminds me of when Earl's used to serve milkshakes in a pint and then virtually a full metal cup, like that, on the side.

That's all I have to add...

Comment

When I was 11 (many years back) I spent about a year going to the Foothills Hospital as my sister recovered from a serious car accident. She was never the same after that, but I remember taking her down in her wheel chair to cafeteria every day to have a milkshake. They served it in a tall glass and beside it was that big metal cup about 3/4 full. Good memories

Thanks.
      --
      Rod
      Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
      2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Wow, so hipster.
        Last edited by Krzys; 06-03-2014, 11:48 PM.

Comment

'murica
          Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
          Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
          Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

When I was in university (late 90s), I was in Geography and I did a soils class and we had to do some experiments in the lab and they had a whole fleet of these to mix up samples with liquids and such, good times!!!

A lot of products are indeed a lot more disposable these days, companies do not make things to last, but I also think people are more inclined to get something new a lot more often as well.
            Blair
            Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo View Post
              When I was in university (late 90s), I was in Geography and I did a soils class and we had to do some experiments in the lab and they had a whole fleet of these to mix up samples with liquids and such, good times!!!

A lot of products are indeed a lot more disposable these days, companies do not make things to last, but I also think people are more inclined to get something new a lot more often as well.
              We used an ancient blender (the base was that odd yellow/white from the 80/90's) in my Geo 381 - sed/strat course, it was pretty awesome!

Comment

The old Kitchenaide stand mixers that were originally made Hobart were the same thing. Much more heavy duty. Still cost a pile used too...
                Stefan
                -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

White Spot still gives you the metal cup on the side half full

Comment

Similar?
                    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-processor-ble...ationFlag=true
                    Alex Dewar
                    2013 T-Red GLI

sigpic@BuckyVW

Old
                    03 Golf CL
                    2.Slow

Comment

That is one of the "newer" ones, the models that are newer than 1940s are all about the same, they are made of plastic and the motors are much lower Watts.

Comment

So I finally broke down and bought one off Craigslist. It is actually missing the aerator which sits on the bottom of the impeller and which I have ordered from the US of A from someone who collects these and restores them.

Total cost is about $100 but it is in excellent cosmetic and functional condition.

Maybe someone with camera skills can chip in and tell me how to keep myself, apartment and cat out of reflecting in curved chrome surfaces?

Last edited by witchcraftz; 07-06-2014, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Picked up a new addition to the family!

Made April 2, 1940 - super nice shape for a machine that's 75 years old.

And this one was made in the 1920s. It's about 95 years old!

How many of our current electronics do you think will still work in 100 years?
                          Last edited by witchcraftz; 07-19-2014, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X