The struggle is real

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The struggle is real

Today I was given a simple task. My roommate and good friend gave me $100, and simply said "can you do the oil on my 2008 VW Rabbit 2.5?". I thought, simple enough, I've done many an oil change, what could make this difficult?

Oh how I was wrong. At first it went swimmingly, I jacked it up, dropped it on the stands, dropped the splash pan, and easily got at the strangely placed oil filter under the car. Much to my chagrin I had gotten a 36mm socket as quoted by several forum posts for the filter housing, but oh was I wrong. It turns out the car required a 76mm 14 flute socket. The trouble is being a tool, I had already drained the pan. I then had to find my way to Canadian Tire, whom did not have the socket, then furthermore to Autovalue, who finally did (for $5!!!). I was also annoyed I could not use my Pela vacuum oil extractor (I've never seen a filter on the bottom of a car, it just seems... Strange, since wouldn't gravity make particulates collect at the bottom of the filter?).

Three hours later, I had FINALLY gotten the filter housing off and gotten her all cleaned up (my roommate had not done his out in 14,000KM, it was blacker then space and had the consistency of cream of mushroom soup, which I chewed him out for, it was also down to 4.5L!!!!). I got her filled up with Liqui-Moly 5W-40 and a fresh filter, tossed the splashpan back on and was off to the races.

A HUGE thanks to Chris & Colin at Calgary Autoworks for supplying the oil/filter and helping me figure out I actually required a 76MM 14 Flute socket! And helping me keep a cool head after having a bad time! They have saved my butt too many times!

Pictures of the carnage!

The Socket I had purchased vs the housing, apparently the smaller unscrewable part of the housing is 36mm

His oil, so black it was a perfect mirror (yes, I was having a very bad hair day)

Best part, after 3 hours my roommate was mad I had taken so long. I ended up spending my own money to find the socket/other resources to do his oil. I ended up sticking the "Next service at" sticker in a very obvious place, so he cannot ignore it this time. I also set a notification on my phone to remind me based on his average millage of when his oil will be due.
    Last edited by ToXicXxX; 06-20-2014, 03:14 AM.

Re: The struggle is real

Just a heads up... A slip on oil filter wrench would of also worked. They are $15 and my last one lasted 8 years and maybe, 12,000 oil changes before it busted. Just place a rag around the housing so You don`t break it

Comment

Originally posted by Lo)2enz0 View Post
      Just a heads up... A slip on oil filter wrench would of also worked. They are $15 and my last one lasted 8 years and maybe, 12,000 oil changes before it busted. Just place a rag around the housing so You don`t break it
      I tried using one, it would just end up spinning. Whoever torqued the cap down last oil change really gave their all, because it took me a fair bit of force with a short breaker bar on the 76mm socket to get it to loosen up.

Comment

Filter on the bottom is pretty standard issue on a lot of cars. Its even better when there is a cross brace or something under it so that it is impossible to pull the filter without globbing oil on other parts of the car. I had one car where the filter threaded straight up, but after you loosened it you had to tip it on its side to remove it. That was a guaranteed mess every time! Serviced a lot of cars, granted many were older domestics, and my 2001 TDI was the first one I had seen with a friendly upright filter that you can change mess free.

76mm socked is a good buy. It fits lots of spin on and canister filters. I used mine for my 98 and 01 Jetta, 05 Passat, old B2200 and my wifes Mazda6.
        Stefan
        -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
        -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
        -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Originally posted by stefan View Post
          Filter on the bottom is pretty standard issue on a lot of cars. Its even better when there is a cross brace or something under it so that it is impossible to pull the filter without globbing oil on other parts of the car. I had one car where the filter threaded straight up, but after you loosened it you had to tip it on its side to remove it. That was a guaranteed mess every time! Serviced a lot of cars, granted many were older domestics, and my 2001 TDI was the first one I had seen with a friendly upright filter that you can change mess free.

76mm socked is a good buy. It fits lots of spin on and canister filters. I used mine for my 98 and 01 Jetta, 05 Passat, old B2200 and my wifes Mazda6.
          I've found a even worse placed filter... My new E30. I have absolutely no idea how I'll get my big hands in there! Looks like you have to slide it past the exhaust manifolds.

Comment

I didn't think it was that bad on my E30. No worse than any of my old VW's.
            15 GTI
            65 Beetle
            87 BMW E30

Comment

Working...
            X