Honda Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda Problem

I need some help with my Zonda (this is a Euro forum I know.. I know...). But im in tight situation and I was wondering if I may get some advice/ direction from those mechanically inclined. Any advice is much appreciated.

Ive posted on the Honda Forums and searched online. But I can't find a clear answer.

I drive a 2002 Honda CRV EX. AWD. Manual transmission. It has 257km, most km are high way and it runs fine.

However....
    I went to get my tires changed from winters to summers and my mechanic showed my front struts were leaking oil. They were pretty much gone.
    So I got him to change them both. He also noticed the left front transmission arm worn away and the grease was all gone (he showed me). Fair enough I had that replaced as well.

Now when I drive there is a slight pull to the right on acceleration. Its ever so slight but enough to make a very minor adjustment in the steering.
    In second gear between 1500 Rpm and 2500 RPM on medium/hard acceleration there is a vibration on the left drivers side wheel. It does not happen in any other gear or rev range. Only second between 1500 - 2500 RPM when putting gas down.
    Mechanic said to get an alignment. I did that, but the problem remains. The mechanic took it for a test drive and does not know what it is. He said he is happy to change the left CRV joint as part of the warrenty. But he does not think its the CRV joint. But he does not know what else it could be.
    He said he can start by taking off the central transmission and make it 2WD and go from there and see if the problem remains. Then its a case of tracing the problem, i.e is it the torque converter, or front transmission, etc. If I go down that route its going to cost me. Its likely I may be losing my job in a couple of months so cash is tight. . I don't mind spending cash to fix it, I just can't keeping spending to keep figuring out what it is.

Ive searched the Honda forums and im not sure what it could be. It could be CV joint, Torque converter, or central tranny joint. I have no idea.

2002 front end vibration

98 CRV front end
    problems

Vibration on acceleration

Possible Torque Converter Problems

Ive also searched front Axel and similar problems come up. But mixed results to what the solution could be.
    Has anyone experienced this on any of their AWD vehicles?
    Current: 2002 Zonda CRV
    2004 VW MK4 1.8T GTI
    2001 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec (European)

Re: Honda Problem

I'm not familiar with AWD transmissions but I believe that you have a manual transmission so there is no torque converter. If it wasn't doing it before your suspension change I'd say it was to do with that.
    Last edited by witchcraftz; 06-21-2014, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by witchcraftz View Post
      I'm not familiar with AWD transmissions but I believe that you have a manual transmission so there is no torque converter.
      Yeah, never head of a torque converter in a manual. Also, never heard of a tranny/torque converter causing a car to pull or vibrate..
      Jason

"You dont buy a Volkswagen once, you buy it ten times."
      ---Samuel Moore

Instagram: @Wangtastic
      PM me to get your car detailed! - Brightside Detailing

Comment

Swap tires side to side and see if it changes sides ... Seen tires with broken belts cause these symptoms on big trucks .
        12 Volvo XC 90
        03 Jetta1.8T
        95 Cabrio VRT
        90 G60 Corrado

Colleen at 403-819-0132 or colleen@brayco.ca for all your mortgage needs.

Comment

Sorry, the torque converter would have been for a auto.
          Sorry I should have added as I just remembered. When the tires were swapped there was a pull to the right but no vibration. Tires were swapped and same pull. When the struts and and transmission arm were changed after thats when the vibration started.
          Last edited by Wildfire; 06-22-2014, 09:10 AM. Reason: Extra detail.
          2004 VW MK4 1.8T GTI

Comment

Well then I'd say that the control arm that was replaced is not installed correctly or that the struts aren't installed correctly. To me this sounds like loose CV joint or ball joint but once again I'm not a mechanic so others who know more may chime in. Could be something a dumb as the axle nut being loose.

Comment

^^^ your absolutely right

worn cv joints will cause a vibration under acceleration . a loose axle nut can cause the same symptoms. I am pretty sure he removed the axles from the knuckles to replace that shocks. Just replace your axles with oem ones and call it a day.

Comment

Update.
                I went back and my mechanic changed the left axel under warranty to see if that would fix it. He looked over the ball joints. Everything ok. But the vibration in 2nd gear still there.
                I asked him if the Axel was OEM or aftermarket. He said aftermarket.
                From what I have read on the Honda CRV forums and what Lo)2enz0 has posted, its pointing towards the non OEM part.

This after maket axel cost me $125, I asked him how much for a OEM.. the mechanic said around $1000.
                Soooooooo... I think im just going to stick with the aftermarket for now. I guess thats the difference in a quality part and aftermarket.

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.
                2004 VW MK4 1.8T GTI

Comment

Phone Honda for a price, don't believe the mechanic. An axle should not cost that much.

Comment

Heh,

Looks like it may be your Diff fluid...

http://community.cartalk.com/discuss...ystery-shudder

Comment

Working...
                    X