Such cheap gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Such cheap gas

Ok i usually refuel at a gas plus station with some unleaded 92 and my question is how can they be so cheap? Should I be worried?

Background info: today $1.249 at gas plus. $1.289 at Centex and $1.30+ for the other in Calgary...

Re: Such cheap gas

Is it marked premium? Marked premium is usually for farm use, and doesn't have tax.
    Mitch

1996 Harlequin
    2001 Toyota Highlander

Comment

I don't this so.

The petrol station i use is almost downtown on 11th ave

Comment

There are multiple differences between a bottom tier vendor such as Centex and Gas Plus and the top tier vendors like Shell and PetroCan.

Things like additives added at the retail location, the age/quality of the underground tanks and filling inlets and associated equipment, and still other factors will affect the quality of the petrol. Even if they're supplied from the same refinery. This will also affect the retail price.

If you're driving a jalopy, stick with the cheap stuff. If not, well...
        Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
        Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
        Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Originally posted by PRY4SNO View Post
          Things like additives added at the retail location
          my first job was at a gas station (co-op) and I have never heard of adding additives at the retail location.

Can you tell whom adds additives at the retail location? It doesn't make sense from a logistics perspective.
          Last edited by bydesign; 07-22-2014, 08:12 PM.

Comment

I ran gas plus diesel in my old Jetta TD a few time because it was 10c less a liter... Thing smoked like crazy until I put PetroCan or Husky diesel in it again lol.
            Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
            Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

I've never seen or heard of additives being added at a location.

For GLI, I will only use Shell or CO-OP, Petro in a pinch.
              MK1 gets regular whatever.
              Passat gets whatever, usually CO-OP or Costco.
              Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
              2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Yeah, prices were cheaper here too $1.42, beats the $1.53 from a few weeks ago...

Comment

Our cars only gets shell 91, petrol 94, and husky 94. Tried esso 91 in the jetta once and it was slow, i guess is the aggressive timing file I run but it's totally fine with shell 91.
                  Same story with the Benz it's usually filled with 94 petro or shell 91, fill up is usually $130cdn, came to Montana fill up $97usd for 91 at 76 petrol station, and the car went from a gl550 to a gl450.... It's nothing to do with the elevation or temp either, it pulled hard until I filled it up... Moral of the story, you get what you pay for.
                  Current Fleet
                  #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                  2001 Cobra #88/3786
                  1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                  2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                  2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

I can't say for sure, but from what I have heard it's the drivers who deliver the fuel that do the additive. Since they know how much fuel was put in the tank, they know how much additive to put in and can do it on the spot. I am sure just about every brand out there would not consider allowing a fuel station attendant to put in additive for they would easily get it wrong in some shape or form and possibly do some damage.

All the base fuel I am pretty sure for Calgary and area comes from the depot at Barlow and 106th se. The most logical place to do an additive package is when refueling the tanker or at delivery of the fuel.

There might be a better answer, this though would explain the differences noted above.
                    Ben
                    2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
                    2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
                    2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
                    Her's
                    2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

Gas Plus uses fuel from Petrocanada.

Pat

His
                      1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
                      1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                      1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
                      2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
                      Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

I only ever burn shell 91, or in my old 335i petrocan 94 because it was tuned for ethanol.

Comment

Originally posted by bydesign View Post
                          my first job was at a gas station (co-op) and I have never heard of adding additives at the retail location.

Can you tell whom adds additives at the retail location? It doesn't make sense from a logistics perspective.
                          I know for sure (via their website) Petro Can uses an additive at retail point of sale to "make" their 94 octane. Not sure of others but wouldn't be surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by BaggedGLI View Post
                            I've never seen or heard of additives being added at a location.

For GLI, I will only use Shell or CO-OP, Petro in a pinch.
                            MK1 gets regular whatever.
                            Passat gets whatever, usually CO-OP or Costco.
                            Curious to as why you like CO-OP so much? Usually CO-OP never enters the gas conversation.
                            Mitch

1996 Harlequin
                            2001 Toyota Highlander

Comment

From what I've heard, Coop stations are supplied by Shell or their own refinery in Regina.

Plus you get a rebate and coupons.

Comment

Working...
                              X