Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CPS to be enforcing noise levels from vehicles...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPS to be enforcing noise levels from vehicles...

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/08/01...he-least-of-it

Oh boy.

Re: CPS to be enforcing noise levels from vehicles...

It’s not just “small cars jacked down low with the big hub wheels and the music blaring.”

Do these guys even know what they are talking about?
    Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
    2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Unless you're straight-piped and hooning around like an idiot, I don't see it being a huge problem.
      On another note, that article was poorly written and very painful to read.

Originally posted by BaggedGLI View Post
      It’s not just “small cars jacked down low with the big hub wheels and the music blaring.”

Do these guys even know what they are talking about?
      Hahah, exactly what I was thinking
      Last edited by Fizzo20; 08-01-2014, 08:50 PM.
      -Faraaz

Comment

Originally posted by Fizzo20 View Post
        Unless you're straight-piped and hooning around like an idiot, I don't see it being a huge problem.
        On another note, that article was poorly written and very painful to read.

Hahah, exactly what I was thinking
        I dunno man... With the new intake my supercharger gets pretty loud :O

Comment

The worse part is that the noise level is subjective, there is no set decibel limit in which they are ticketing. What's the point of having your stupid noise instrument if it's up to the officers judgement anyways? Seems like a crock to me. I really don't see them enforcing this past the summer, it's all a media scare tactic. It would be very easy to fight in court.
          Last edited by Mcrow; 08-01-2014, 08:56 PM.
          Mitch

1996 Harlequin
          2001 Toyota Highlander

Comment

Originally posted by Mcrow View Post
            The worse part is that the noise level is subjective, there is no set decibel limit in which they are ticketing. What's the point of having your stupid noise instrument if it's up to the officers judgement anyways? Seems like a crock to me. I really don't see them enforcing this past the summer, it's all a media scare tactic. It would be very easy to fight in court.
            There is actually a city bylaw for dB level apparently.

It seems to just be a gateway to pull modded vehicles over and go ticket happy on every other mod.

Comment

Last year when they first brought out the bylaw they were talking about a 95 Dba level for ticketing. Now Dba is a log base 10. So for comparison my S4 measures at 89 Dba so 95 Dba would be roughly 50% louder than the S4. The ACR hits 94 and is a hell of a lot louder than the S4 and is unbearable to drive without a helmet and earplugs but still would be legal. So here is a sample of a roughly 89 Dba car going WOT. If you are quieter that this you will be ok and you can go another 50% louder.

Comment

I think you may have some confusion about the dba of that car? Also dba are subjective to distance. 95 dba puts you between a blender and lawn mower.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist2/projects/sixer/loud.pdf

Comment

I guess I should have clarified the how the measurements were taken. We were following the California noise bylaw measurement method that at the time Calgary was quoting in the development of its bylaw. Measurement is taken 2 feet back from the exhaust at a 45 degree angle with the engine revving at 60% of the rpm where maximum horsepower is made. The test was in open space and not up against any sound reflective surfaces. Obviously the cars would be louder if you could hang a mic off the tailpipe while ripping to red line. Turbo cars are much quieter when not loaded. My car in the video is louder than 89dba but still would pass under the standard test.

Interesting that the same bylaw in California states that no new vehicle can be sold ( bike, car, truck, etc) that exceeds 80dba accelerating at WOT 50 feet from the testing device.
                  Last edited by bobkatkat; 08-05-2014, 06:22 PM.

Comment

I'm pretty worried about my car... 60% of the rev is when my vtec kicks in...
                    Current Fleet
                    #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                    2001 Cobra #88/3786
                    1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                    2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                    2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by kujiwara View Post
                      I'm pretty worried about my car... 60% of the rev is when my vtec kicks in...
                      You have done the Honda Head conversion??

Comment

Well I guess I will be the first guy to chime in and say I was the first guy to get the DB test :(

My car that I just brought to Calgary this weekend had a muffler blowout or something on the highway! Needless to say the whole bottom half of my muffler exploded and its loud! Going to work this morning I got pulled in just before Ogden / Glenmore as there was a officer that was sitting just before the intersection. As I was dropping gears coming to a stop he signaled me to pull over. The officer was really good about the situation as I showed him that the muffler exploded and that the car was just recently insured. He did not have a DB meter on him but we both agreed that it was well over.

Needless to say I got a "warning" about my muffler and wished good luck on passing my inspection.

Comment

Originally posted by bobkatkat View Post
                          Interesting that the same bylaw in California states that no new vehicle can be sold ( bike, car, truck, etc) that exceeds 80dba accelerating at WOT 50 feet from the testing device.
                          Now that makes more sense as a measurement, new or old it should be around there.
                          Last edited by witchcraftz; 08-05-2014, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X