catch can in winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• catch can in winter

Anyone running a catch can through winter, any issues besides having to empty more often.
    Been driving VAG for longer then allot of the members have been alive

Re: catch can in winter

I had one for a few years just have to check it every week or two to be safe.

Comment

I had one then it froze cause i park outside....all bad after that. If your pcv works well id say stick with it. Thats just my 2 cents.
      2016 VW GTI (Stock)
      2016 VW Jetta 1.4T (Stock)
      1994 Audi UrS4 - BW S257 SX-E built engine on VEMs.
      2001 Audi S4 - K04s, J-Fonz Tuned ( Gone! Dropped valve)

Comment

Just make sure it never gets full... Buddy had that happen, lead to it freezing, plugging the PCV, and the crank case became a positive pressure environment, and blew oil out of every single hole.

I ran a Burger Motorsport CC on my 335i all of last winter and I had no problems, dumped maybe a tablespoon of oil when spring hit.

Comment

Originally posted by ToXicXxX View Post
          Just make sure it never gets full... Buddy had that happen, lead to it freezing, plugging the PCV, and the crank case became a positive pressure environment, and blew oil out of every single hole.

I ran a Burger Motorsport CC on my 335i all of last winter and I had no problems, dumped maybe a tablespoon of oil when spring hit.

Thats what happen to me. Mine was only 1/4 full if that even. made a big mess on the highway.
          2016 VW GTI (Stock)
          2016 VW Jetta 1.4T (Stock)
          1994 Audi UrS4 - BW S257 SX-E built engine on VEMs.
          2001 Audi S4 - K04s, J-Fonz Tuned ( Gone! Dropped valve)

Comment

Originally posted by morris400 View Post
            Thats what happen to me. Mine was only 1/4 full if that even. made a big mess on the highway.
            Buddy burned through 5L of oil in 10 min in an AEB by doing that...

Just make sure you monitor the can. If it has a filter/AO separator directly off the PCV, theres a good chance it will develop condensation from short trips and that will ice over when it's cold, causing issues. If you drive longer trips, or park in a heated area, you should have no issues. I parked my 335i outside (had a mesh A/O separator directly off the PCV feed), but my shortest daily trip was 30 minutes.

Check your oil cap for yellow "mayonnaise" type sludge in winter, if you see that... You're not traveling far enough to burn out the water in the system.
            Last edited by ToXicXxX; 08-21-2014, 09:49 PM.

Comment

If you are NA and your stock Crank case vent system is working and in good shape then you are probably better off staying stock. If you are boosted above a stock level then you really do need something to keep excess oil from making it into the intake and intercoolers.

For the winter it is important let the system heat up enough to function properly. Short trips will make mayo. It is a good idea to put the body of the can/separator somewhere that it will get warm even on short trips. I have my Crankcase vents separator on the firewall above the motor never an issue even with short trips. Having a dip stick in the can is good idea, not for level checking but as an easy way to see if mayo is building up.

Stay away from cheap ebay cans that have nothing in them. Stay away from systems that have fiber or replaceable filters. Make sure that all your tubing/hose does not have a bunch of hills and valleys, is not excessively long and is as large as possible 3/4 or an inch is perfect. If you have to do short trips in cold weather make sure that you shorten your oil change intervals.

Comment

It is for my fsi passat , pulled my intercooler pipes and they were caked with oil and had a catch can on my last turbo car so I figured why not. I bought a 42dd stealth kit. The way I look at it keeping any oily mess from recirculating into the intake.
                Been driving VAG for longer then allot of the members have been alive

Comment

Working...
                X