3M protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3M protection

I purchased a new vehicle recently, and I am thinking about 3m paint protection. I was hoping to get some insight as to whether or not it's really worth it.

I had it on a car 10 years ago. It didn't really seem to fair well when faced with Deerfoot everyday. I ended up respraying the front of the car because it looked so bad. Has the product gotten better since then?

I've also been replacing at least 1 fog light per year due to rocks shattering the glass. Would wrapping up those lights prevent this?

Re: 3M protection

Most products have a guarantee period on them of several years. I wouldn't drive any decent car around Calgary without it, too much crap on the road here.

Not sure about the foglight thing, usually wrap plastic headlights so they don't get sandblasted though.

Comment

Wrapping the fogs helps for sure, but I found the fogs get hot enough to damage the 3m over time, depending if you use them I suppose. For me, I probably got 2 years out of the 3m on the fogs before the 3m started getting brown and peeling. The lights were mint underneath. I left it off last winter and lost one light and the other is pretty pitted. Hard to say if it is worth it. The 3m is not much less than an aftermarket replacement fog light.
      Last edited by stefan; 08-28-2014, 09:51 PM.
      Stefan
      -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
      -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
      -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
      -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

With the 3M wrap its worth it for sure just make sure you get a installer that will warranty their install and product. A friend of mine had his mk4 3m wrapped and they did a great job, when he moved to Edmonton he removed his front plate holder and they didn't wrap under it..... Needless to say his bumper looks awesome still except for the part that wasn't wrapped it has some pitting and chipping.

I wrapped a set of headlamps with Lamina-x three years ago for a customer of mine and they still look like new. With over 100K km's of Edmonton driving it was a great investment for sure. I have never personally ran into any issues with lamin-x and peeling / browning.

Comment

Originally posted by DaCoupe View Post
          With the 3M wrap its worth it for sure just make sure you get a installer that will warranty their install and product. A friend of mine had his mk4 3m wrapped and they did a great job, when he moved to Edmonton he removed his front plate holder and they didn't wrap under it..... Needless to say his bumper looks awesome still except for the part that wasn't wrapped it has some pitting and chipping.

I wrapped a set of headlamps with Lamina-x three years ago for a customer of mine and they still look like new. With over 100K km's of Edmonton driving it was a great investment for sure. I have never personally ran into any issues with lamin-x and peeling / browning.
          It's just my fogs. Headlights are fine. I would do front of car, mirrors, headlights, and with all that, the fogs will be included anyways I'm sure. If it doesn't hold up... there is no harm done to the fogs.
          Stefan
          -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
          -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
          -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I just had our white B8 A4 done...24 inches on the hood,the whole front end, fenders, A pillars and the roof before the sun roof. Definitely saves the paint and the fog lights...and if the fogs do get stoned, the film usually holds the glass together.
            Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
            Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Letting your fogs get stoned... Must be one hell of a hotbox in the garage

Comment

I have found more of my foglight have broken due to heating/cooling rapidly than due to rocks. This happens specifically in the winter time because the snow causes the rapid cooling on the lenses.
                As for 3M on the car, if i had the money i would get it done.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. Where have you guys gone to get it installed?

Comment

I'll just leave this here...

http://www.eurodrivers.ca/forums/sho...int+protection

The thread is old but his information is still the same. Many here including myself can attest to Jeff's 3m work. Give him a call, you wont be disappointed!
                    Last edited by P Arkus; 08-29-2014, 08:26 AM.
                    Patryk
                    Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
                    08 VW .:R32
                    04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Originally posted by Arkadious View Post
                      I'll just leave this here...

http://www.eurodrivers.ca/forums/sho...int+protection

The thread is old but his information is still the same. Many here including myself can attest to Jeff's 3m work. Give him a call, you wont be disappointed!
                      Big thumbs up to Jeff!!!

Comment

^jeff has down my allroad and new q7.. amazing stuff and great price compared to what you'll find around the city

Comment

Jeff did my golf and my bike. Awesome work and a great dude. Wouldn't go anywhere else.
                          Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

We also do 3M and Xpel

Comment

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X