Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experince importing a car from the US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have experince importing a car from the US?

So I was bored on night shift and decided I wanted to pickup a Sunday driver as new toy. I picked up a 1977 Celica from California and I'm going to pick it up in a week and a half. Just wondering if anyone has any experience importing a car fom the States. I've never done it and I don't want headaches at the border.
    Current Vehicles...
    1977 Toyota Celica / 1995 Mitsubisihi 3000GT / 2002 VW Jetta TDI / 2003 VW Passat 1.8t / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5
    1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse / 2007 BMW 335I (2 door) / 2007 BMW 328XI (4 door) / 2011 GSX-R 750 / 2014 Ram 1500 Sport

Re: Anyone have experince importing a car from the US?

There are probably a half dozen threads on this very forum about this exact topic already.

Forms to specific border crossing 48h ahead of time.

Do/provide paperwork at border.

Pay duty & tax.

OOP inspection.

Register/insure.

Drive.
    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
    Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
    Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

www.riv.ca

Start reading and you'll find all you need
      Patryk
      Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
      08 VW .:R32
      04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Originally posted by Arkadious View Post
        www.riv.ca

Start reading and you'll find all you need
        That's perfect. In all my searching, I didn't find this page. Thanks!
        Current Vehicles...
        1977 Toyota Celica / 1995 Mitsubisihi 3000GT / 2002 VW Jetta TDI / 2003 VW Passat 1.8t / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5
        1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse / 2007 BMW 335I (2 door) / 2007 BMW 328XI (4 door) / 2011 GSX-R 750 / 2014 Ram 1500 Sport

Comment

Be prepared x3. As an example I even had ro show the donkeys at the canadian side the rule that a 25+ year old car was duty exempt (I printed a copy to take with me). The tried pretty hard to make me pay duty. Also have good clear documentation on the price paid. The guy did 1/2 hour of research on 80's 911s to try and inflate the "cost" so he could get me on gst but I had a bill of sale and proof of the wire transfer so their patriotic and valiant attempt to collect maximum tax revenues were thwarted by subversive ol me.
          John
          1986 Meteor Grey Metallic Squashed VW Beetle
          2011 Mineral Grey Durango R/T AWD

Comment

RIV does not apply to 15+ year old vehicles.

Comment

For the M5 all I did was pay duty on it. No import bs needed. Then all I needed was an out of province to register it here

Pat

His
              1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
              1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
              1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
              2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
              Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

From the USA, there are two things you need to deal with.

First is exporting from the USA. See here: http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impor.../motor-vehicle There are things that must be done. You need to stop BEFORE the border and go into the US side to get the export paperwork done. Specifically know this part: "Exportation at land border crossing points. For those vehicles exported by rail, highway, or under their own power.
                The required documentation must be submitted to Customs at least 72 hours prior to export; and

The vehicle must be presented to Customs at the time of exportation."

Second continue to the border and import. https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehicl...ation-1338.htm You need suitable proof of the age of the vehicle and it is then simple.

Comment

Working...
                X