the mysterious paintshop lines!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the mysterious paintshop lines!

it seems as though my body kit has hit by the mysterious lines that show up under the paint, same thing as barts, looks like someone ran a pen alone the primer, its underneath the paint, and you cant feel it.

Simon

Re: the mysterious paintshop lines!

called rudy's yet?

Present
    2010 Audi A4 S-Line
    2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
    2003 VW Jetta GLI
    1992 VW Jetta GL
    1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

nope, thats on the agenda for tomorrow, just found out about it this evening.
      Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Simon
        nope, thats on the agenda for tomorrow, just found out about it this evening.

dude that's a stress crack from hitting the valance on the ground. Not uncommon at all happens all the time when you stress paint on bumpers. If you push your knee on your bumper quickly and with the right force you can get that to happen anywhere on the bumper.If you get it resprayed ask them to put more flex agent in the paint. What happened is the actual coloured paint cracked but not the clear coat.

Comment

Originally posted by vaggod
          dude that's a stress crack from hitting the valance on the ground. Not uncommon at all happens all the time when you stress paint on bumpers. If you push your knee on your bumper quickly and with the right force you can get that to happen anywhere on the bumper.If you get it resprayed ask them to put more flex agent in the paint. What happened is the actual coloured paint cracked but not the clear coat.

yah thast what i'm thinking, and what i'm afraid of. but i'll take it in to them anyway to see what they can do. i don't wanna pay for a respray though.
          Simon

Comment

doh simon that might be stress spidering yea :( they might just say your SOL on that cuz its not really thier fault.. well you could complain about the flex agent in the paint i guess..

Comment

yah i'm not gonna make them pay for it or anything, just see if anyhint can be done relatively cheaply..

goddamn rieger and your super low kits!!! :@
              Simon

Comment

Simon, that's definitely spiderwebbing caused by your valence making contact with the ground. Like previously said, the "impact" causes bending and flexing of the valence, and hence, the clear coat spider-webs

I have a small spot on my euro rub strip that looks identical to your pic. There's nothing wrong with the paint, I just bumped into the freezer in my garage when I was pulling in one night Doh!

Flex agent helps prevent this, but there's no 100% defense. All it takes is the right temperature and amount of flexing in the piece for this to occur. Also, the body shop (rudy's or otherwise) is limited to the amount of flex agent they can mix with the paint cuz too much will cause the clearcoat to become "soft".

Originally posted by Simon
                Derick

Comment

it makes me cry that my newly painted lip is looking like utter ****.
                  Simon

Comment

ya i had that on my old one, but circular, like a real spider web, i hit a wall then at auto-x.
                    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Working...
                    X